Ive been diagnosed with early cataracts. My vision has been blurred in one eye .

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. Been blurred in one eye intermittently. Just wondering if I need to have it removed now or later on.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with early stage cataracts a year ago . The NHS didn’t detect them .  They were picked up by a private consultant I was seeing duecto other eye issues . I had already opted for corrective surgery due to the other issues so my private health care paid for the cataract operation and I paid to upgrade the replacement lens to a premium lense to correct my vision and other issues and I am now glasses free . 
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm hoping my private insurance will cover it here in ireland. Does it depend on what cover one has I wonder.

• Posted

Not sure . I’m sure if you ask your medical insurance they will say whether you are covered or not 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. I'll be doing that this week when theyre open again.

• Posted

I'm appreciating all the answers I'm getting on this forum

• Posted

Intermittently as in the vision clears on it own?  If it is early cataract and not in the line of sight you should be OK to wait in most cases.
    • Posted

Yes. It just suddenly stops. Ive had 2 days in a row now without blur. But I will make enquiries about getting it done with my private insurance in ireland. Thanjs for answer.
  • Posted

Even with cataracts if your vision can be corrected with glasses or contact lenses - better to wait.  Once your vision cannot be corrected anymore and vision is 20/40 or worse normally the costs are covered by Medicare (in Canada) or NHS in UK.
  • Posted

Wait as long as possible. I am 45 and had both of my eyes done. Been a nightmare. Drs seem to think it’s my young age and otherwise great vision. So it’s definitely an adjustment when you don’t have your God given eyes. Best of luck!
    • Posted

Hi george. Thanks for reply. How did your operations work out. Ive had a few days of no blurring now but will make enquiries to keep an eye on it so to speak.
    • Posted

Hi again . If it blurs now and again, would that be a sign I'd need to get them done. Do people with cataracts endure blurring until they get them removed. Cheers. Kevin.

• Posted

My left eye is constantly blurred. My brain tries to ignore the picture from that eye most of the time when both eyes are open. 

But some days it cannot suppress the vision from the bad eye and especially in the evening and the vision is distorted when both eyes are open. 

If I close my good eye. The vision is severely impacted and blurry all the time. 

• Posted

Cataracts for me didn’t mean blurry some days/times - was blurry all the time and even had double vision.  Perhaps it’s different for others.
    • Posted

I'm very sorry to hear that. Can you not get the operation

• Posted

I can get the surgery done.  But I am 42 and don't like losing the accommodation of the natural lens and also am worried about the retina detachment risk for males below 50.  Also, still making peace with the Symfony night time concentric circles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.