Ive been put on Amitriptyline for headaches.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys, I have a thread on vertigo but will give  you a brief sumary. I have been having really bad headaches and dizziness in the past few months. I have been on beta blockers and nasal spray for migraines which aint worked. anyway, I have been prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg to be taken one before bed. People have said they are addictive and you will become dependant on them and your not depressed. 

So my question is, shall I take them or not?

Thanks

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They are not addictive. I take 10mg twice a day for chronic daily headaches and migraine prevention. I stopped them for 4 weeks with no 'withdrawal' side effects at all. I am not depressed. They are not used for depression these days as there are better things for that. What dose were you given?. Depression needs 100mg whereas. Use for pain or headache prevention is something between 10 and 50 mg.
    • Posted

ok perfect, thats all I wanted to hear. i am on the 10mg. How did u find them?
    • Posted

No problem except I that my focus was a bit poorer, came off and by the time I saw the optician was all normal for me. Supposed to make you sleepy, thus advised to take at night, but if anything I am more alert on them.
    • Posted

yes your right, my GP did say to take them at night so you can atleast get a goodd sleep! thank you smile 
    • Posted

what was your headaches classed as? 
  • Posted

No they aren't addictive and very rarely are they prescribed for depression these days because there are more up to date drugs now. I take 20 mgs at night and have done for years.i take mine about an hour before bed then I don't feel drowsy the next morning. Some people take them 4-5 hours before bedtime. It's a bit of trial and error.
    • Posted

May I ask what are u taking them for?
    • Posted

I get migraines and it's been prescribed as a preventative drug. At the time I was prescribed it I was also have a lot of problems with neck pain.
    • Posted

Ecactly what my GP said, I have neck pain too. So I will give them a try smile thank youu
    • Posted

I'm sure you'll find they help but give them chance to work. Good luck.
    • Posted

Well I have tred Zomig nasal spray which did not work. but these do seem like they should help. So will give them a try 
  • Posted

Hi,

My dad takes them for migraine and he finds them fantastic! I took them for anxiety/insomnia for 4 years and have had terrible withdrawal since coming off them 16 days ago, but everyone is different, some people have no withdrawal symptoms. If I were you I would try them out, they helped me for ages and as I say my dad who is in his 70's has been on them for several years and thinks they are great. You have nothing to lose by giving them a try. You may have trouble getting on to them, but I would advise that you perservere, dont judge them too soon, when I first took them it was 6-8 weeks before I got used to them and the side effects went. Good luck :-)

• Posted

Perfect. I will give them a try I was in two minds thinking why have I been given anti depressants LOL! but no it makes sence now so I will see and hopefully they will work! 
    • Posted

I was put on them for back pain and they worked better than tramadol etc. I still take 30mg at night but sometimes if I've no pain and can fall asleep ok I won't take them for days. Never any withdrawal or side effects. You'll be fine.
    • Posted

so I take it they do not work straight away? My head is still killing! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.