Ive just stopped taking cirtalapram feel wierd need advice.

Posted , 7 users are following.

For 3 months I've been taking 10mg sometimes taking extra dose as they helped me sleep I started getting tention headaches and shooting pains so I decided to stop suddenly today is the forth day without them headaches have stopped which is good news but I am for the last few days getting a weird feeling all over my body when I move my head and eyes it's like a dizzyness and tingling feeling i am so worried it's serious I wake up like I've had loads of alcohol the night before even when I stopped drinking a year ago I was like a zombie on cirtalapram so I needed to quit. I'm so weak now feel like my body has given up I can't tell my doctor he wouldn't be happy at all I did quit them as I was feeling so bad on them the headaches worried me to point that I could have something sinister in my head I'm 32 and struggled with depression since I was 14 I just won't to be normal a family recommended for me to take a week abroad so I agreed on going next week to try relax and come back cured which I no won't happen but now I'm feeling this weird sensation I don't know what to do any advice?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Have you been wheening yourself off then or just stopped taking then cold turkey?

• Posted

I took half of 10mg last sat but I woke up feeling in a bad state so Sunday night onwards I've not touched them.

• Posted

Hi Joseph,

I started citalopram 2 weeks ago, after taking it for 9 days my doctor advised me to come off it as I was really poorly with the, side effects.

I am now on my 6th day not taking them and I'm feeling the withdrawal symptoms quite badly and that's only taking it for nine days I didn't wheen myself off them as doctor said to quit cold turkey as I had only been on them 9 days. I would definitely advise you to speak to your gp and arrange a plan of wheening yourself off them and not just stop taking them, you've been on them longer so therefore we might be having same withdrawal symptoms but it might take longer for them to come out of your system.

I go on holiday in less than two weeks so I feel your worry and panic aswell as if to are you going to feel like this whilst away.

• Posted

I have been thinking about discussing this with gp I only stopped because of nasty headaches I was confused alot to I mean for example I went in shop but milk and bread and I had to count up my change several times my mind went blank I must of looked like I can't even count up £1.79 for my items this drug is the worst I also take mirtazipine as well once a night my GP keeps giving me new meds I've been on so many meds for depression I've lost count 7 days away jetting of to Lanzarote and I feel like this the nasty headaches reduced by 90% since coming off them really don't want to touch them again I can't anyway I thrown them away last night I'll see how I feel tomorrow and if it's worser I'll go gp to hear him have a go for stopping without advising him my problem I am in constant fear of something more serious I avoid going I feel like a nosense to gp lol but thanks for reply.

• Posted

I didn't have that problem, I just constantly felt sick to the point I thought I would be, stomach pains, dizziness and severe headaches to the point I was almost fainting.

I was on mitazapine for a month before going to docs as I found it really hard waking up in the morning and my sleep had improved so felt I didn't feel want to be on them anymore, that's when they changed me to citalopram worst decision ever. Can't wait for these side effects to ware off and I'll be back to normal. Definitely go to docs if u don't want to go back on citalopram to come off them properly they might be able to give u something else to help with headaches.

• Posted

My headaches have been reduced were I can manage I did just pop into pharmacy and she said the side effects I'm experiencing are from withdrawels she said I need to ween of them or bear with cold turkey which could last two weeks or two months she said how long is a peice of string advice to tell GP and have some options.

• Posted

Hi Joseph, I was the same & had to go back on them, I suggest taking half a one every day to enjoy your holiday better, good luck.

• Posted

I took half a one sat and I woke up feeling a lot worse then taking a whole one so I read horror story season about this drug so I just stopped I don't have a suplie of them I thrown them away I'll go gp tomorrow if it gets worse thanks for reply.

• Posted

Joseph go to your GP and tell him truthfully what you have done and why, I am sure they have heard worse, they are there to help and advise not to judge, even if in their own mind they do agree with you if they are professional they will talk through it with you. You seem to have got yourself in a bit of situation, damned if you do damned if you don't take meds. I too had really bad headaches but got some pain relief meds that took the edge off.

I hope you get it sorted and have a relaxing holiday

• Posted

Every thing you have posted about the way you went on taking celexa is totally crazy. You can't take extra doses just because you say it help you sleep better no wonder your side effects are allover the place let alone going cold turkey ..right now what you are feeling are discontinuation side effects..like your pharmacist says it can last two weeks or two months..and your also having discontinuation side effects from the martizapine..so that's two Medications fighting with your brain from going cold turkey...

• Posted

Sorry the last sentence was for Lucy stopping martizapine abruptly causes discontinuation side effects....
    • Posted

I have booked an appointment for Friday I will tell him what I've done at first these tablets were fine but the persistant headaches I couldn't handle. Thanks for advice x

• Posted

I only took an extra dose twice as I was in a bad state and could not sleep I struggle with sleeping and staying asleep but I agree I should not of messed with doses. I tried Zopiclone which helped my doctor kept supliying them at his discretion but I weened of them successfully as they turned into a nightmare I am going doctors Friday see what he advices I told receptionist why so I'm guessing she tell him before I do but thanks for advice.

• Posted

What do you mean with the way I went taking citalopram ? Its normal to get side effects that bad. I haven't taken extra doses because it helps me sleep better.

• Posted

That was meant for Joseph..sorry about the mishap..the only question is did you wean off martizapine or cold turkey...
    • Posted

Aww sorry about that. Thought you said message was for me.

I was on matarzipine for 3 - 4 weeks, I went back to docs and he changed me onto citalopram. So I stopped taking matazapine and went straight onto citalopram didn't leave any gap between them.

• Posted

Ok so you more than likely are having discontinuation effects from martizapine and start up side effects from the celexa..
    • Posted

I stopped taking citalopram 6 days ago now. So not still taking them. Hopefully withdrawal symptoms die down soon.

• Posted

I suffer from a one week of effexor ..after coming off cold turkey ..the discontinuation symptoms lasted two months..
    • Posted

Did you have days you felt better and then the next was back to the nasty lingering side affects?
    • Posted

I feel terrible . Super bad mind fog! I feel disconnected almost from my brain! It’s hard to describe. I also have that bad burning/ numbing/ prickling of extremities like some complain of. It’s so scary. I felt fine most of the day yesterday besides bad mind fog and forgetfulness and then today I have all the side effects again. I feel so alone like something worse is happening to me besides the Citalopram. 
    • Posted

And Finally I had enough and went on celexa and now recovered..and still on celexa...I was a guinea pig to other ssris and celexa worked for me..
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply makes me feel better , right now I’m terrified that’s I could be dying or something from a rare disease the drs aren’t catching. Since I have all these symptoms 
    • Posted

Absolutely..I had withdrawals from them ssris ... effexor been one of them..if you didn't have these symptoms before the med..than what your feeling is discontinuation side effects..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.