Jaw clenching from Venlafaxine

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

This is a strange one! I take 1 x 37.5mg Immediate Relase tablet every morning, that’s all, never wanted to increase the dose.  I’ve been on these meds for about 5 months now and I believe they are helping.  However.... I’ve been suffering with jaw ache, ear ache, sometimes sore throat. ENT consultant has given me the all clear which is great but still I have this discomfort... bearable but not nice.

I’ve done some research on line and it could be a side effect of Ven. I just feel like I’m tensing my jaw all day, my dentist said it could be stress related but I don’t think so. I think it might be the drug causing it. Anyone else had this?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I had exactly the same thing. I was on venlafaxine for about 3 years and had it constantly. I've come off venlafaxine and am on a different AD and still get it. My dentist says it hasn't caused any damage and offered me a mouth guard to protect my teeth at night. It does give me jaw ache sometimes and headaches, and it comes and goes. I think it's just one of those side effects that we have to live with.

Hope that helps.

Liz

• Posted

Thank you Liz, I’m pleased it’s not just me. Do you mind me asking why you changed AD and what you take now? 
    • Posted

Hi,

i came off ven because I thought I was better and I didn’t like the side effects, but after 6 months or so I had another bout of bad depression and realised I do need meds to keep me stable - I was in denial about my diagnosis - bipolar 2.

i am now on Sertraline ,plus other for the bipolar and anxiety, which I find suit me better.

i still clench my jaw, sometimes more than others, but other than a bit of discomfort at times I can tolerate it for being well again.

Liz

• Posted

I have the exact same symptoms...i got up to 62.5mg but have started to wean of them....i hate them I don't worry as much being on them but I hate the side effect, nausea dizzy...and all the others like yourself can't wait to come off then been on them 10weeks

• Posted

Thanks Suzanne - I hope you get on alright coming off them.  Are you taking the slow release or immediate release?  I’m taking the immediate release - not so easy to split the tablets etc. I gather the slow release  tabs contain pellets that you could do a real sneaky taper ☺️
  • Posted

I had exactly the same thing and when I went to ent he said my adenoids were up did they check your adenoids ? 

I do smoke and he said it was common in smokers I found that hard to comprehend because I’ve smoked for 20 years and never had a problem 

• Posted

I’m now off venlafaxine and it’s alot better 
    • Posted

Hi Carl how long have u been off it and do u still have any lasting effects? From it?
    • Posted

I’ve been off around 5 weeks my anxiety is through the roof I can’t sleep I feel nauseous and gag vomit when I get up in the morning and I pee a lot and urgency is an issue.

Throat is a bit better than it was.

My neck is not as sore same with the ears and not sooo much tension in my neck either

• Posted

Hi Carl,

Well done for staying off it. I’ve had withdrawal from AD in the past. Trazadone, very high dosage. I was so frightened !! I can only imagine that Ven withdrawal if worse. 

I think this is why I can’t bring myself to go any higher than 37.5mg a day.

Thanks for your input, 

Nicky x 

• Posted

Hello, I thought it was just me but now I have seen your comment I’m disappointed to see yet another side effect of  Venaflaxine. I have a gum shield made by my dentist but I do it during the day as well. I’m keen to come off theses tablets but I can’t as it will effect my job
  • Posted

Yes i have exact same thing i am on 187.5mg of venlafaxine xr and sometimmes i clench my teeth and jaws that hard that i give myself headac he and neck pains, and have to take ibroprufen.
  • Posted

I started taking this about 5 weeks ago and right from the start I found i was clenching my jaw. It has continued to get worse. I thought it was down to stress at first but it has been constant and getting worse. I can't take it for much longer.

• Posted

Hi Li,

I just thought i would put an update on here. The good news is my jaw clenching has reduced alot over the last few weeks. I honestly have no idea why. I have been on ven since May this year, maybe my body has just settled down.

i hardly think about it now and have no jaw, head or ear ache.. so strange.

N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.