Jaw clenching from Venlafaxine

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

This is a strange one! I take 1 x 37.5mg Immediate Relase tablet every morning, that’s all, never wanted to increase the dose.  I’ve been on these meds for about 5 months now and I believe they are helping.  However.... I’ve been suffering with jaw ache, ear ache, sometimes sore throat. ENT consultant has given me the all clear which is great but still I have this discomfort... bearable but not nice.

I’ve done some research on line and it could be a side effect of Ven. I just feel like I’m tensing my jaw all day, my dentist said it could be stress related but I don’t think so. I think it might be the drug causing it. Anyone else had this?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi so I've been on effexor for pry 6 yrs now. it works so amazing on my depression, but I've always clenched my teeth. it's been bugging the snot outta me so I got on and found your question. yes withdrawal is horrendous I forgot to take for a week or so, but amazing otherwise. now if u could find me the miracle to stopping strokes, I'm 37 and suffered 4 now that would b great, lol, no but hope my info helps out god bless

• Posted

oh hi there! you said strokes? did you really mean this?

My clenching has settled down alot. Never had it (ever) before ven but now that ive been on it 8 months its much better, i dont even think about it anymore.

And yes, this drug is brilliant for me to.

best wishes

N

• Posted

Hi all!

I have read that various people on venlafaxine experience jaw clenching. I'm unsure if I do this at night (I used to years ago, before any major anxiety symptoms) but I do notice something else. I catch myself doing it all the time...and let's just say, "It ain't pretty!"

I have been clenching my lips in a way that I can only describe as the grumpy cat. You remember the one...the unimpressed looking kitty with the frown. Yeah, that's me. I do it so much that it's starting to give me the frown lines even when I have my face at rest. When I catch myself doing it I feel like a grumpy old Grammy sitting in my recliner reading the paper and hating life. lol

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I'm not sure it's worth a trip to my GP as this is one of the only side effects I'm experiencing. I am sure, though, that I don't want to be all grumpy-cat-looking for the rest of my life! That would be an ironic catch all in itself.

Thanks in advance folks 😃

• Posted

hey i odly have the same thing but its not pain like u said. to me its like mild tightness thats constant. almost feels like its swollen almost all of the time. it does come and go randomly though.

• Posted

Hello your not alone, I have been clenching my jaw a lot too. I just started taking Effexor XR 37.5 mg this Monday so I'm on day two. I take mine at night so I sleep through some of the potential side effects. Tuesday I was a bit tied didn't sleep well but still got out of bed faster than I have in months. I was in a decent mood all day, very thirsty, random hunger bursts, and mild mind wandering thoughts. Wednesday however was terrible, I slept better which was good. Woke up fine felt fine until about 11:30am then was agitated and impatient all day, alot of intrusive thoughts till I got home round 5pm. After 5pm I was calmish again but body still felt tight/tense. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Hope the jaw clenching goes away after 2 weeks along with other side effects. Be well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.