Job Seekers Allowance and Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have recently been diagnosed with Reactive Depression (not the first time, I was last diagnosed about 5 years ago). 

Everything got too much for me at the weekend and I ended up with the police out as I was in crisis.

Before this I was planning on registering for Job Seekers Allowance but I know one of the criteria is that you have to be available to work. How I am at the moment I think this would be doubtful. I'm going to discuss with my GP next time I see him.

But if I'm not available to work, what benefits are available instead?

Any help gratefully received.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I take it from your post your not fit for work ? 

Have you tried going on ESA rather than JSA Give the job centre a ring next week get a sick note from your doctor 

Take care 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I'm guessing by the state that I am currently in (I OD'd at the weekend and have been self harming most of the week - struggling with the urge at the moment) I very much doubt that I could do any job.

I wondered about ESA but I wasn't sure whether I would meet the criteria or not.I think I'll give them a ring next week.

Thank you.

• Posted

I really hope your getting help for your illness i lost my brother 8 years ago he was self harming and O/D twice It's been living hell for me 

• Posted

Sorry about your brother.

It's not a fun place. I've lost all my support net this last few months - my mum died in October (lung cancer) and then my fiancee of 11 years told me he has feelings for someone else and has been spending time with her but wants to remain friends. It all got too much.

Fortunately I've got a good GP but it's a weekend so can't access him

• Posted

Thank your sorry for your loss also 

Losing my father back in 99 was hard to take in then my brother also yesterday was another Christmas I don't cope well at all I wanted the day to end as soon as I got up I've had counselling twice my ex wife could never understand why I was up and down all the time I could be happy then fall deep into dispair Within minutes She had enough of me and kicked me out 

• Posted

Merry Christmas my fibro friends hope you had a good christmas with not too much pain xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.