Joint problems with Bisoprolol?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I wonder if anyone has had this serious painful side effect from Bisoprolol. I have Class 2 heart failure and moderate mitral regurgitation. I was on 2.5 mg 2 years ago this was ramped up to 3.75 then a year ago to 5mg. In Jan last year I visited my GP as I had pain in my wrists, fingers, shoulders, back and toes. Had blood tests and Xrays. No rheumatoid factor but some osteoarthritis. At 72 it'sno surprise. As the year went on the pain got worse and worse. I had both NHS and private physio with no joy or relief. The NHS physio said I should be referred on as she suspected with the symmetry and number of joints involved it was suspicious of a different problem. I had no help from my GP. By December last year I was becoming quite disabled. I couldn't undo even a milk carton or turn the key in my door without severe pain. Driving was so difficult because of my arms and shoulders being so painful. I was using supports on my wrists and had to buy a back support too. Finally I was struggling to dress myself. I suddenly realised that the pain originated from the increase in Bisoprolol. I had some 2.5mg tablets left which I decided to take instead. Day by day the pain decreased. Now a week on, my hands have improved so much as have my shoulders and back. \saw the cardiology nurse yesterday and am changing to a different betablocker. The pain has n't totally gone as I am still taking 2.5 but the difference in my quality of life is enormous. I feel I have lost a year of my life. I went from being able to walk 6/7 miles in Derbyshire to being a disabled person all in a year. Any comments welcome.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You can talk to the British Heart Foundation or the Cardiomyopathy Association, you will find their contact details online, they both have heart nurses you can talk to & ask your GP to refer you to the Heart failure Nurse she will be able to advise & adjust medication and they have far more experience, can also order blood tests etc & contact consultants.
  • Posted

I have been on 2.5 mg for about 7 Years, with similar results. Lower limb joints painful and weakness in hands and fingers - i'm like an old man of 90 but I'm only 58. No signs of rheumatoid factor in tests, and no OA showing on X-rays, so I'm guessing its Bisoprolol. Off to the GP and Cardio in next week or 2 to get this sorted hopefully
  • Posted

Its certainly worth asking to change. My joint pain decreased very significantly over the space of a few weeks but there is residual pain in my wrist, right shoulder and back. very much reduced from how it was. I am in the UK and my cardiology nurse has researched the incidence of this problem. It is given as 18 cases in 30 years. However I wonder how many do have the problem but haven't made the connection between the drug and the widespread pain. I wouldn't have known had the drug not been increased. The pain got so much worse on the higher dose. My quality of life has improved dramatically. Good luck and let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

That is 18 cases that have made it onto the official database! How many people do you think have gone to their GPs or cardiologists and complained about joint pains on bisoprolol and been pooh poohed? An internet search could probably turn up more people complaining about this in an hour let alone 30 years. It's the same story with statins. The extent of muscle problems that the medical profession and above all the drug companies will admit to is way way below the real level. I have been on 1.25 bisoprolol for only three months and I have noticed some knee pain and a lot of hand and finger pain.u
    • Posted

I agree with you however what the medical profession suffers from is an elite arrogance and deafness (or are their hands tied?). It does seem to be the modern drug to prescribe at the moment pity about the joint pains, sleepless nights and anxiety!
  • Edited

Heart failure does cause muscles to become fatigued, which causes them to be tender and ache, this is caused by lack of blood supply, nutrients oxygen to the muscles. Prior to having my bivent fitted 4 years ago, for the previous 2 years it was painful to walk in the morning, as the muscles in my feet were so tender, I also thought it was arthritis and was tested. As my heart failure has progressed over the years my muscles were taking long to recover. Over a period of 5 years I have gone from running & exercising every day a real gym bunny to hardly being able to do anything, I now have to have a cleaner & ironing done as it takes me too long and wears me out too much. I have had dilated cardiomyopathy since 1981 aged 16 and I am 50 this year had a bivent for 4 years, I am not on Bisoporol as my pumping efficiency is too good, so all of your symptoms may not be due to the drugs, but also the condition progressing. The drugs are to extend the life of your heart and yes there may be some side effects, you have to weigh up what the quality of your life is and make the best of it, ypu won't be able to keep doing the things you use to do and we also have to factor in the aging process, everyone gets slower and things take more time.
  • Posted

I take your point and yes the disease also progresses. However I went from someone who could walk 8/9 miles in the hilly countryside to someone who could hardly walk around a supermarket within 10 months. Coming off the Bisoprolol I can now get around again and am building up my exercise. There is no doubt in my mind that Bisoprolol was the culprit. There were also other very noticeable bonuses in coming off the drug such as being able to sleep through the night and feeling less anxious and much happier. I do have OA but the pain was way beyond anything OA has produced. It was heartening to hear that one can last along time with cardiomyopathy. I am not breathless or lacking energy anymore than any other 72 year old. I lead a very actine life.
  • Posted

Hi  i had three coronary stents last year and have been on Bisoprolo Fumarate  since then i am unable to walk with out severe joint pain its starts in my right hip then in the bottom of my spine my right leg feel very tight  i get joint pain in my neck  the more i walk the painful it is  sometimes i cant hold my head i am 57 but i walk like a 90year old very slowly with much pain  i am always tired and the moment i sit down i just go to sleep i dont like going out much as i know i cant manage to walk  at first i am ok then on walking around the pain starts and just gets worse after reading the comments  on this site by yourself and others i am glad to find out that it sound like its the tablets i have researched them and printed off the info so i can take it to my GP
    • Posted

Wow by chance I thought I would troll through to see if I could find a connection between my sudden right hip immobility and painful right leg and hip girdle and found your post. These sites are invaluable as yesterday I thought my world as I knew it...bouncing a long with my four grandchikdren....had ended. I was in tears. I knew my pain and hip disability felt different. The way it came on, pain killers werent touching it. My whole leg feels as though I have an elastic band around it. Phew! Off to my GP tom with this evidence. I wish you all well
    • Posted

I have stopped the Bisoporol now and my leg, lower back and hip joint pain has completely gone. I was only on Bisoporol forthree months so thats maybe why I have made a 90% recovery.
  • Posted

Wow, just found this thread and it explains my problems. ive been on 2.5 bisoprolol for over a year (heart insult during chemo). I wondered why i was getting worse and worse physically instead of recovering from chemo! i stopped my bisoprolol 3 days ago and already i feel slightly better - thought it was my imagination. However my pulse is up and down between 80 and 118! Better go and try another betablocker. Thank goodness for this thread! 
    • Posted

Hi

I took bisoporol manufactured by Milpharm which caused my jjoint problems. It was crippling. However, my daughter was

given bisoporol and because of my experience she went for a

different make. She takes 1.25mgs of bisoporol manufactured by Teva. She does not experience any side effects that's she's aware of.

So pleased you found this thread as I was when I was

suffering. Wishing you well x

• Posted

thanks Kathy. i have a doctors appointment tomorrow to reassess my needs. ill see what manufacturer ive been using. wishing you both well too. x

• Posted

Hi 

I am also on 2.5 bisoprolol after a heart attack 3 years ago had 3 stents fitted,i dont suffer from any of the symptoms that you do but really suffer with my first steps in a morning really painfull feet until i get going could this be related?

• Posted

i dont know your age frank? Im 54 and a lot of my friends are stiff and achey in the morning, but painful feet, dont know if thats an age thing or the bisoprolol. it could also be peripheral neuropathy. really not sure. 
    • Posted

Hi Furmini

I am. 58 and I have thought for the last twelve months that the condition is plantar fiscatis I think that's how you pronounce it ? google it,the first 5/6 steps is really uncomfortable I have done the recommended excersise and had the injections without success it really is so painful.

Regards

Frank

• Posted

Ive heard the injections arent that successful with plantar fasciitis. ive had chemo and after that my feet burned and were so tender and sore. it has got slightly better in time. for me, its neuropathy. sometimes its worse than others. 

• Posted

Get your vitamin d level checked out. Sometimes conditions likePFand tendonitis can be a result of vitamin d deficiency which is at epidemic proportions due to people avoiding the sun. As our skins age they make vit d far less efficiently so often supplements are needed. I was diagnosed with vit d deficiency several years ago after going to the doc with a tendonitis in my thigh that was so bad I could hardly walk. I had also had episodes of plantar fascitis on and off over the years. The doc gave me a loading dose in an ampoule of 600,000iu (I live in France and am not sure this is available in the UK) and the pain was gone within the week. If it's the biso that is causing it that's tough. I am currently getting a lot of back and leg pain on bisoprolol 1.25 and I know my vit d level is ok now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.