Joint problems with Bisoprolol?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I wonder if anyone has had this serious painful side effect from Bisoprolol. I have Class 2 heart failure and moderate mitral regurgitation. I was on 2.5 mg 2 years ago this was ramped up to 3.75 then a year ago to 5mg. In Jan last year I visited my GP as I had pain in my wrists, fingers, shoulders, back and toes. Had blood tests and Xrays. No rheumatoid factor but some osteoarthritis. At 72 it'sno surprise. As the year went on the pain got worse and worse. I had both NHS and private physio with no joy or relief. The NHS physio said I should be referred on as she suspected with the symmetry and number of joints involved it was suspicious of a different problem. I had no help from my GP. By December last year I was becoming quite disabled. I couldn't undo even a milk carton or turn the key in my door without severe pain. Driving was so difficult because of my arms and shoulders being so painful. I was using supports on my wrists and had to buy a back support too. Finally I was struggling to dress myself. I suddenly realised that the pain originated from the increase in Bisoprolol. I had some 2.5mg tablets left which I decided to take instead. Day by day the pain decreased. Now a week on, my hands have improved so much as have my shoulders and back. \saw the cardiology nurse yesterday and am changing to a different betablocker. The pain has n't totally gone as I am still taking 2.5 but the difference in my quality of life is enormous. I feel I have lost a year of my life. I went from being able to walk 6/7 miles in Derbyshire to being a disabled person all in a year. Any comments welcome.

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi'

My 'witch doctors' have been messing about with my meds yet again....you are right Bisoprolol does cause pain in some patients. I am a post kidney transplant patent and nobody seems to be able to manage my BP which I dont think is too bad at 149 / 83...without meds !( aged 66) I started the  new course of action about 10 weeks ago with a dose of only 1.25mg .Six weeks later it was raised to 2.5mg.By the 8th week I noticed mussel pain around transplant scar tissue and pain in lower thumb joints.I stopped taking Bisoprolol and two weeks later....no pain ! I dont seem to tolerate channel blockers...is it to do with anti rejection drugs ?ie Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate? ps.Keep clear of AMLODIPINE...RAMAPRIL...and DOXAZOSIN...they have crippled me in the past.Good luck to all .

• Posted

I wish you well Mr Gee! I agree with you that your bp seems quite acceptable. I feel that if you can keep a positive attitude and are a happy person your bp should remain stable. Bisoporol causes joint pains and leg weakness whilst amlodopine can cause head trauma and blindness....(however not for everyone). My opinion agrees with your own, stay clear of them if you possibly can.
    • Posted

Hi Kathy,

Thankyou for your coment,it took me quite by suprise !.....I thought  I was the only one left on this planet !TC

• Posted

Like most people I stumbled across this forum by putting in "Bisoprolol"....as I have read with interest what this devastating drug can do I immediately stopped taking it.....I now look forward to regaining some strength back into my muscles and legs and perhaps start to walk again.......This Bisoprolol drug has a lot to answer for, good riddance to bad chemicals.

Best of luck to everyone....regards, Ivan.

• Posted

I have been on 2.5mg Bisoprolol for only 3 weeks and was suffering with depression, confusion, severe tiredness and horrid finger weakness and pain. Basically told the GP last Thursday that the prospect of sudden death was probably better than all these side effects!! Only then did he swap me down to 1.25mg...4 days on, and the only thing left is finger weakness/cramp/discomfort. Cannot believe such a difference
  • Posted

How interesting. I have been on the lowest dose of this drug for three weeks and could swear my joint pain in wrists shoulders and legs has suddenly become much worse all of a sudden, as well as other noticeable side effects such as dry mouth, f Ealing miserable. Will have to change them. Thanks for the comforting tip to reassure me that it wasn't just in my imagination. 

• Posted

Not only have I already written about the aches and pains increase with this drug but the depression after only being on it for 4 weeks is so noticeable. I could live with the sore eyes, dry mouth and nasty repast eyes in the mouth but not the joint ache and depression. When I change be tablets I never look at side effects just jot down how I feel. There are lots of these books drugs and it is about finding something that suits your individual genes. This one doesn't suit mine so I will be changing it. This to all those who mentioned the aching limbs. A great comfort to know you are not just imagining things! 

• Posted

I do the same! I'm sure my GP doesn't believe me, when I say what side effects I have experienced...I tell them how lucky they are to have someone on their books who IS the 1 in a 1000!  However, she had to admit that I am the first patient she has had who is allergic to progesterone...but she conceded and put it on my notes. 😂😂😂

• Posted

Ive been on Bisoprolol for the last 4-5 years, sometimes along with another drug such as Valsartan, sometimes alone. From 2.5 - 3.75 mg. Ive experienced wrist pain, some finger pain, exhaustion, especially in legs- just no life in them often. My bench press at the gym has gone way down, due mainly to intolerable wrist and hand pain with heavier weight. Also cannot perform a standard palms down pushup due to the wrist pain. Also some shoulder pain on overhead lifts. Had a MRI done on wrist, found nothing. Also usually can only sleep 2-3 hours at a time without unexplained wakeup, get heart palpatations at times & acid reflux accelerated by the drug. Also skeptical that its the cause of my ED and low Testosterone readings, after being lively in those areas just 10 years ago (Im 51). Despite all this, Biso is the best tolerated BP drug Ive encountered thusfar! (Ive tried virtually all the others, with even more intolerable side effects). Currently Im trying to go back on Losartan, to see if I can rid myself of the joint pain and ED. After 5 days I can already feel improvement, even less heart palps- however the last couple of nights Ive suffered from insomnia - so not sure if this will work out or not. Im still taking 1.25 mg of bisoprolol, as the Losartan tends to give me a higher pulse. I wish I didnt need to take any of these drugs, they all make me miserable in some way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.