Jones Fracture - Xray Image Attached - Surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

New to the forum , but I got a Jones Fracture a week from this past Thursday. I have my xray here http://i.imgur.com/7tcu6Tt.jpg

I've looked at other xrays and mine seems pretty tame in comparison... does this seem like it's going to heal without surgery/non-weight bearing casting? I've been in the boot butwalking minimally (light duty at work). Please help, thank you!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sophie, I can only speak from my own experience. After my fracture, if I would have limited my weight bearing and worn a boot as recommended my doctor said my meta 5 fracture would have healed by itself without surgery. Because I misbehaved and used an ortho shoe instead and didn't break stride in my busy life, I injured my foot more to the point that I needed surgery 2 1/2 weeks later. My doctor stressed that the bone heals when we take care of it. If I could go back six weeks ago, I would have gotten an airboot, limited my activity and weight-bearing, elevate my foot as much as possible and at night, and rest, rest, rest.
    • Posted

Elizabeth stop hitting yourself over the head, I did as I was told, no weight bearing and I wore a cast, the gap between the fracture still moved apart. My surgeon told me this sometimes happens, it could be that it moved or it could be that it didn't show up as well in the first x-ray.

Sophie, my x-ray looked very like yours but the gap was much larger in mine, I also broke my ankle at the same time. I was originally told to let it heal conservatively, but it moved and I was told by two different Drs that the gap was too large to form a union so I had it done two weeks after the original fracture. At week 15 I'm still using crutches, partial weight bearing, and gradually moving away from using the boot.

• Posted

sorry to hear about both of your experiences sad 

it just shocks me that a tiny little thing can cause such huge problems!

i hope you guys are healing.

• Posted

It's one of those odd things, a little bit one way and your break is in an area that heals well, a little bit the other way and it doesn't get enough blood. Then of course your age and health comes into it. I couldn't be!have I went from A&E where they said I had minor fracture (crack) to a week later being told by the surgeon I'd done a right job on myself, both fractures through the joints meant I'd have arthritis in them and I needed a screw in the 5th metatarsal. My husband (whose never broken a bone) told me I'd be OK in six weeks, I still can't walk without crutches 16 weeks later.
    • Posted

Goodness, Susan, I am so sorry! I hope that the rest of the healing process goes ok for you sad 

I was walking in the kitchen earlier with the boot and slipped on something wet and felt something move where I hurt my foot... it is now swollen and bruised again so I'm pretty terrified that I did more damage to it. Going back to doctor on Wednesday... I'm hoping it's not bad news sad

• Posted

Hope you're OK, I slipped on a wet floor the day after my original accident, stubbed my toe on one of my crutches and fractured it, thankfully on the other foot and it just got taped to the one next to it.
  • Posted

How's it going?

Soooo after 6 weeks, the xray looks basically the same. The ortho said that the inside of the fracture is healing (distal) but the big gap is still there.

I'm going back to work (nursing) on Saturday and "weaning" myself out of the boot. My foot still hurts like a mofo... should I get a second opinion or is this pretty standard?

Thanks smile

• Posted

Hi was just reading your message here...mine is almost same story so did you heal your fracture and was it okay walking without boot seeing that the bone has only heall inside part. Thanks for your tepaly
  • Posted

Hi all, I have sustained an undisplaced fracture of the base of the fifth metatarsal of my left foot. X-ray confirms that this it's a Jones’ type fracture (Zone 2).  At the present time, I am immobilised in a pneumatic walker non-weight bearing. I've been told that unfortunately fractures in Zone 2 at the base of the fifth metatarsal do carry a fairly high risk of non union and delayed union and I am extremely worried about this.  My consutalnt has discussed the options of treatment which is NWB in a boot with crutches for 12 weeks and, if no union happens surgical fixation but we have to get to the 12 weeks first before he decided.

I am scheduled to go back for an X-ray in 5 weeks (I am week one after the accident) and wondered if anyone else out there has sustained the same injury or can give me any advice.  I have upped by intake of Calcium and Vit D and am staying off the foot 90% of the day and am only resting on heel when necessary to make a drink etc.

I really don't know how I am going to manage 12 weeks like this and wonder if I should consider surgery now as I have no idea whether I will get a union or non union... it's a bit like throwing a dice and not knowing your fate!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Even surgery doesn't guarantee a union, I've had a screw in mine since week 2, now on week 20 and still no union.
    • Posted

Oh no that is not good news!! What does your doc now plan to do? How are you coping? 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, I have a 5th met jones fracture and I had surgery almost right away - week three. I did not NWB right away because of partial denial and my second xray showed a worsening of the healing, so my surgeon suggested surgery right away. I have a screw and plate. Frankly, I have such a cautious surgeon, I think I would have had surgery even if my foot did not worsen. But the good news is that I was total NWB for 5 weeks and my xray on week 7 showed bone growth. I've been wearing an airboot for 3 weeks now and after a week of aching, it is now rather comfortable. I put my foot up for almost the whole evening at the end of the day though. I see my surgeon again at the end of the month and suspect I'll have to wear the boot for a couple of more weeks. I'm not sure why I was fast- tracked to surgery but I'm not unhappy about it. It did take the guessing out of it and recovery recommendations seems the same as without it. But, I do have a screw and plate but was told that should not be problematic. Going through NWB recovery seemed like an eternity. I can't imagine a re-do because I didn't heal right. But... I've learned that there is nothing fast about bone healing. I am one that was happy with the cut-to-the-chase treatment of surgery.
    • Posted

I broke my ankle as well as the 5th metatarsal, that shows union but the fracture's still there, Dr is hopeful that full weight bearing will encourage bone growth. Originally I was to have the screw in the 5th metatarsal taken out after it healed now they are talking about leaving it in, however the rash I had just on the scar has now spread all over and my GP thinks I may be allergic to the screw. Typical, I have a tendency towards allergies, have to take antihistamines every day or I'm covered in urticaria (hives).

I go back to clinic in 10 weeks, in the mean time I carry on with the physio.

• Posted

It may not guarantee a union but it's a hell of a lot higher chance. I think surgery is just smarter to do if you can afford to miss too much work. The piece of mind that something is holding your bone in place, keeping it from bending and further damage. As you know it depends on your age and health as well. I would only discourage surgery if the patient is young or its a hairline fracture that doesn't go all the way through.
  • Posted

6 weeks post Dx of Jones Fracture but not given good info initially and no healing yet.  Struggling with restrictions of cast, boot not working might have if knew I had to be totally non weight bearing which is a bear to do.  Waiting arrival of iwalk crutch.

Wondering if should just move to surgery to speed healing.  Any thoughts anyone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.