Jones Fracture - Xray Image Attached - Surgery?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

New to the forum , but I got a Jones Fracture a week from this past Thursday. I have my xray here http://i.imgur.com/7tcu6Tt.jpg

I've looked at other xrays and mine seems pretty tame in comparison... does this seem like it's going to heal without surgery/non-weight bearing casting? I've been in the boot butwalking minimally (light duty at work). Please help, thank you!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I sustained a Jones Fracture in January, about a month after turning 68, I was on my morning 3-mile walk. Fast forward...it's now May and after 4+ months no healing. Had to change doctors. Surgery may be inevitable but first we are trying CMF bone stimulator therapy. Anyone familiar? 30 min per day, only. No more no less. Thought it might be similar to Tens therapy, but there are no sounds and no feeling during the 30 minute session. Next appointment in late June. Meanwhile, still in boot. Cannot put any weight on it. I get around on knee scooter. 

• Posted

Hi All,

?Like a dummy, I did not stay off of my feet but did ice it and rest it as much as I could. The attached picture shows the jones fracture on day one and then weeks later from being a "bad patient". The space opened up and the bones had no interest in growing back together and I didn't want surgery, so my Dr (Emile P. Wakim, MD Orthopedic Surgeon in Huntington Beach, CA) prescribed a bone stimulator. The bones have grown back together with 85% filled-in with cartilage (which will turn to bone). Get one of these immediately. It's the size of a small flip phone, has disposable electrodes and you don't feel it at all, unlike a muscle stimulator. Mine is the Biomet® OrthoPak® Non-invasive Bone Growth Stimulator System?. If you're in SOuthern California, try to get him as your Doctor also!

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thanks ed40926. How long did you use the bone stimulator? After 38 daily treatments, I saw my doctor (Dr. Nick Gunasyan in SLO) last Friday. The X-ray indicated growth is happening. I was really encouraged with this news. We are going to continue using the bone stimulator with monthly visits to monitor for progress. If this continues then I won't need surgery either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.