Julia

Posted , 4 users are following.

has anyone advice on travelling abroad when on oxygen 24/7 how easy is it to get oxygen and cost if you can help please 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Julia. Re portable, we looked into that before we knew we could get it free. We have a portable at home as well as a concentrator but you are not allowed to take them abroad as it is the property of nhs (Boc) . You can purchase the same portable as I found them on the Internet between £2000 and £4000. It does seem a waste if you only need it for this holiday especially as you are entitled to, and in our experience you do receive exactly what you have in the uk, free in Spain. We were offered liquid oxygen as well but we did not need it. I cannot stress enough that whatever oxygen you receive here in the uk from the nhs you can and will receive the same in Spain if you organise it in advance, they then bill the uk (you are not involved in any of that) you just have to detail your requirements, length of stay, address that you are staying at and have verification from gp that those are your requirements. Seriously why would you want to spend out on a portable when you can get what you normally use free?

Hope this helps.

ps...perhaps we need to make the most of it in case we come out of the EU!!!!!

• Posted

Hi Sonsy, thank you once again for the information. Im definitely going to look into it, I'm a bit wary of booking everything first in case I can't get the oxygen. The reason I was querying the portables was in case we decide on a cruise, we can't decide what to do yet. Knowing us we probably end up just staying at home and our caravan in Yorkshire.  Warm Regards Julia 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.