Julia

Posted , 4 users are following.

has anyone advice on travelling abroad when on oxygen 24/7 how easy is it to get oxygen and cost if you can help please 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julia!  

I have a portable oxygen concentrator that is NOT a constant flow; however, my doctor said that it is acceptable and that he would probably suggest I increase my flow by 1/2 ltr.  It gives spurts of oxygen when you inhale.  I'm sure you could rent a concentrator that is approved for airline travel.  The one that I have belonged to my mother-in-law but she never used it.  When she purchased it in 2005, she paid $5200. for it but I know you can get them for less now.  I believe I saw them on Amazon.

• Posted

Hi sandy, thank you for your advice. I'll have a look around but I think the portables are expensive to buy, as I dont go on holiday often it isn't worth buying, I might enquire about hiring. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi, I used to have inflight lung function tests at my local hospital ,to test my oxygen levels when on a flight ,then this gives a correct level of your needs ,we used to just go to Majorca 2 times a year ,,,I chose to fly with MONARCH Airlines ,as they supplied the oxygen on the flight at a cost £180 for a return flight ,I found this easier than providing my own and setting it up on the plane etc,,,,I was called to the flight first,so they could set it up before anyone else got on the air craft,( I was glad of that ) I only required the oxygen during the flight but on continuous,,,,,MONARCH were brilliant even offering me a wheel chair to the air craft ,,,,I didn't need that ,I couldn't fault them ,,,,sadly my oxygen levels drop tooooo low now on the flight simulator ,,,,,so I can no longer fly ,,,,but if I could ,,,,it would be with MONARCH AIR LINES EVERY TIME ,good luck and have a great holiday ,.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the info, maybe I need in flight simulation test, I never thought about that.  I may not be able to fly at all, I'll have to ask my consultant. I have had copd for about 10 years now but only needed oxygen now and then if I had a bad chest infection, 4 years ago I was found to have lung cancer, because of the condition of my lungs I couldn't have surgery, the only option I had was radical radiotherapy which was successful in isolating the tumour and shrinking it, unfortunately the treatment badly damaged my lungs hence oxygen 24/7. I think before I do anything else I need to ask if I can indeed fly. Once again thank you 
    • Posted

Hi again ,,,,seeing your consultant seems to me a wise decision ,,,,maybe you could ring his secretary and ask her to mention to him if you require the test ,,,,,,,it's a simple test so don't worry ,,,,it's a bit like having your ears pierced a few times,,, hahah,,,you sit there for twenty minutes ,,,with the air as it would be in an aircraft ,,,,,and they take a few specks of blood from your ear lobe ,,,,they take that blood and put it through a machine to show a true reading of your blood oxygen levels ,,,,,if that's ok ,,,,,then you can fly ,,,,if it's a low reading ,,,,they will do the same test again ,,,,this time with SUPPLYMENTARY oxygen ,,,,,and depending on that ,,,will show if you can fly ,,,,WITH oxygen ,,,,I've had the tests many times ,,,so please don't worry ,I wish you good luck ,,,,and hopefully a wonderful holiday ,,,,,I would love to hear how you go on ,,,,best wishes,Georgina ,
  • Posted

Hi Julia, my husband and I travelled to Spain last year, we took 2 little oxygen cylinders on the aircraft ( provided by Boc (nhs) ) with monarch having notified them first and obtaining a fit to fly cert from gp. We organised a concentrator at our address in Spain , it was delivered in advance of our arrival and collected after we departed. We could have had oxygen from the airport if we had required it. It was all free as we are all part of the EU and therefore we are entitled to it. We had travelled to Spain before and were unaware that we were entitled to this facility and therefore hag organised our own oxygen at a cost of approx £450!! The oxygen service in Spain was superb. Good luck, have a great holiday.
    • Posted

Hi sonsy thanks for the info, what did you use out and about in Spain? How did you go about ordering in Spain ? My provider is BOC also, I use liquid oxygen when out at home but I do have a small cylinder also, it's great to hear your comments as I had made some enquiries about portable concentrators and the cost of hiring is quite expensive, this cost and extra insurance charges on top of the cost of the holiday is huge. Once again thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Julia. My husband did not need oxygen 24/7 last year so we only organised the concentrator at the villa. Whatever you are on in England will be available to you in Spain provided you book in advance and supply all the relevant details. As I said they will even have it waiting for you at the airport but NOT on the plane. You have to go on to the British Embassy web site and download all the forms then fax or e mail the completed forms to the relevant health area. As I recall it was not immediately obvious on the embassy website but persevere until you find it, once you do it is self explanatory. You need a letter from your go or consultant stating that you require the oxygen and amounts etc. Just a tip, if possible order it for the day before you arrive (unless getting it from the airport) as they do not give a time and therefore may well not arrive until late in the day. As I said earlier, we have used it a number of times and cannot fault the service or equipment  provided. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you once again, your help is greatly appreciated. Warm regards
  • Posted

Hey julia. Did you consider getting a portable machine? We got my dad one and it worked really well. That was 5 years ago so im sure they are even better now.

• Posted

Hi, yes I had thought about a portable concentrator but they are very expensive. I enquired about hiring one, the charge was fine but then it only came with 2 batteries which only lasted 4 hrs extra batteries were £40 each and I reckoned I'd need at least another 4 which brought the cost to about £500, that plus the extra it costs for insurance puts a large amount on top of the cost of the holiday. I'm still considering what to do. Thanks for your post, warm regards julia
  • Posted

Hi again Julia!

My portable concentrator has a battery but can also be plugged in; therefore, it isn't necessary to have multiple batteries.

• Posted

Hi sandy was it expensive to buy, I would only use it on holiday as I have concentrator at home and in our caravan and I use liquid oxygen when outdoors, thanks julia
  • Posted

Hi Julia:

I received my portable concentrator from my mother-in-law when she went in to a nursing home.  She bought it in 2010 for $5,100.00.  However, I have seen them on Amazon for around $2,000.00.  I have not checked out the details on the ones at Amazon.  I am pretty sure you could rent one at a medical supply store.

• Posted

Hi Sandy, thanks again for your information, warm regards Julia 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.