Just a short update people

Posted , 10 users are following.

You know my previous posts of my experience so i won't go over that all again just an update really. If anyone wants to view this post for advice or anything reply and ill try to get back to you.

Main points

1. Got glandular fever 23/06/2017
  2. Worst symptoms were anxiety, Depression and dizziness
  3. Virus has put me on thyroid medication as it caused my thyroid gland to become under-active.
  4. Recovery time will vary from person to person please be very patient
  5. Rest as much as you can so you can aid recovery if possible. I say that yet I was still working all hours.
  6. keep the faith, the virus will literally push you to the edge of your tether.

Now its November 2018 almost 17 months ago when I got this and although im pretty much back touch wood. What an experience this ridiculous virus has been. Like I say my story is in an older post not going to rewrite it. I believe the medical profession should do more research into this virus because it is literally debilitating and puts your life on hold for months.

Any questions on my experience for newcomers to the virus.

post in this thread.

Or ask the guy who really helps everyone on this forum Craig he helped me quite a lot so I thank him for that.

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Has it taken the full 17 months, or just gradual recovery?

I hated the anxiety part as I've never had it before, or it just never bothered me...but yes with this virus it has hit me bad. Weirdly though, by going to work it has helped me lift it and I don't suffer with it anymore...but not sure by working this is prolonging the virus.

I would say my main symptoms now are the dizziness/ spaced out feeling. with this my arms and legs go to jelly. Plus a constant dull ache In my head, upset tummy and just a general feeling of ugh/ life isn't fair. I'm just part the 8 month mark.

• Posted

I think I'm also around 8 months in. I still feel kind of crappy too now and then, in fact im going through a bit of that now. but then you remember how much worse it was and how much progress you've made and it doesnt seem too bad. funny that you say that going back to work has helped you settle the anxiety because i believe school has done that for me. getting back into a rhythm seems to help a lot.

as for you Jelley, 17 months is a long time, you really are patient! are you still recovering? i assume you are much better but i know this can leave all sorts of long lasting effects and even when theyre minor it can be such a nuisance!

• Posted

Hi Dominika,

Just a wee word of encouragement for you today, that those days and spells when you feel not so good won't last forever. This is a normal part of the recovery process to still have certain days and times like that, but it gets less and less and less as time goes on and one day you just realise that your body feels good and strong again and can handle things and has its resilience back again. You'd done great to get back to school Dominika, you really should be so proud with how you've handled this and shown courage, and remember you are through the worst of this and you are going to keep on improving until you feel fully better again. Thinking of you and remember still one day at a time and don't get too down or discouraged on days when things not so good, remembering that they will pass and it's only temporary.

Craig

• Posted

Yep im still getting there but compared to last year. Its a lot better.

• Posted

Yes the dizziness was hell for me. Absolute hell trying to do the job and feeling like you were on a boat most of the time wasn't easy.

• Posted

Oh I know, I've been having less and less of those days thankfully, and of course it all eventually passes. just have to let it go and try and relax in the meantime! even though im still not 100% there atleast i am not focused on my symptoms so much anymore now that i am busy. And i still like to come on here and try and give people some positive words and encouragement because i know how it helped me. 😃

• Posted

You're doing a great job Dominika with some great words of hope and encouragement for others - just through others reading how you have been improving this last few months will give them hope and really encouraging and help others who are maybe in the worst phase of this thing right now.

I believe that 2019 is going to be your year Dominika a great year for you when you really start to feel like yourself again and feel much better and more able to do things freely again! Praying for that!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Jelley,

So pleased to hear that you have been seeing progress and starting to feel a good bit better, what a road you've been through and really pleased you posted because for sure it helps people in the worst phase of the virus so much when they can read someone else's story, knowing that they went through the same lows and awful experiences but got through it and started to feel much better after time. And remember Jelley you will continue to get even stronger as time goes on, your body resilience will get even stronger and if there are any lingering or annoying symptoms there still, even if just small ones, they all will disappear they really will with further time I do believe that.

Thanks so much for your kind mention for me Jelley, it's just through my own experience of the virus and how badly I know it affected me that it's good for me to come on here and chat with others, and it has helped me greatly too as been going through my own tough time presently and just chatting to all the nice people and hearing everyone's kind words of support has been a big help and comfort in my life. You and everyone else on the forum have helped me greatly too and very grateful for that.

I agree so much Jelley that it just seems fairly easily dismissed too much by doctors how this virus really affects so many people for such an extended period, and at the very least they should acknowledge that and take it more seriously and do some more research into it. The thing that riles me the most is when doctors try to tell people going through this that they have CFS or something like that when they don't get better within a few months - I want to reassure everyone fearing this that this in the vast vast vast majority of cases is not at all the case, as Jelley said it most definitely is normal for this thing to last an extended period but then go on and make a full recovery - there is a real difference between post viral and CFS, post viral is what most people with glandular fever go through in my view, where your body just takes an extended time to recover from a nasty nasty virus as it knocks your system sideways completely - but that it DOES get completely better with time and in no way means anything permanent, even though I know it's so hard when it takes a while to get over.

And the best words of advice you give Jelley - rest up and keep the faith, knowing that with time you will get there and just hang in there through the early stages of this thing, it's so tough I know but remember there is hope and recovery, and God is the great healer for sure, I know He was the one who got me through it and I believe He's working within everyone on the forum's own situation for their recovery.

Craig

• Posted

Excellent news!

I have a few questions.

Have you been taking any supplements? If so which ones and dosage do you recommend?

I have not stopped working either. Did any doctor have any useful information?

Are you 100% now? Can you do normal and sometimes exhausting activities?

THANK YOU!!

Bo

• Posted

Hi Bo,

Taking vitamins and herbs certainly helped me during recovery, the main ones that I found helpful were:

• A good strong multi-vitamin per day (Immunace Extra was the one I took here in the UK)
      • B complex vitamin per day (great for energy levels / nervous system)
      • Higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day)
      • Immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinacea and oregano at various times
      • Extra vitamin D, particular in the winter

Another remedy more recently become familiar with that's good for viruses is, for 1-2 weeks, taking 1/2 tea spoon full of baking soda dissolved in plain water twice per day on an empty stomach. The baking soda is very alkaline and good at killing viruses. I think they say don't do this beyond the 1-2 week cycle though as can have adverse effects if done longer term I think.

If you can make sure you get plenty of rest in between work Bo, it's important you go at your own pace during recovery from this - I had to be off work for quite a period during it. But things do get better, this doesn't last forever, and you WILL get there - the fatigue, exhaustion, low grade fever, aches and pains, ALL the symptoms do completely go with time. Just so frustrating that it can take time, but remember not to panic that is normal and you absolutely will get there!

Craig

• Posted

bo ive been taking multivitamin

vitamin b complex and vitamin c

get yourself some magnesium as well as it helps relaxation.

activities i cycle to work daily but still get a bit tired. Dont over do it

• Posted

Sounds like great advice Jelley, and for sure I definitely think your story can help and inspire lots of people going through a tough time right now with the virus - that there is hope and recovery, even if it takes a bit of time.

It's great you've been able to cycle to work, that is a tremendous sign of real progress! Remember as you say don't overdo it and things God willing I hope, pray and believe will continue to get better and improve even further from here on in for you!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you.

It really means a lot that you take time to respond. I was on a good roll for a week, and I took extra B12 and my body started treating it like a toxin. I was using B12 as an energy booster and I believe I might have over did it (took 2 500 MCG in a span of 2 hours, about 50,000% daily value instead of just 1 like i normally do). Hopefully it is just a minor set back.

This is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. Thank you for your kindness.

Bo

• Posted

Hi Bo,

Oh hoping that has just been a minor setback too, I know of course also with vitamins just need to be careful not taking too much beyond recommended daily value. I know B vitamins are generally they say safe even at high doses and the excess not used by your body is generally passed out in urine (which it what causes a bright yellow colour often!). I take a B100 complex vitamin per day which is quite a high dose too I think, but again I'm no expert if there is a doctor / natural therapist that is local might be worth tapping into their advice on these things (although I'm aware sometimes some doctors can be so rigid they are not open minded to trying different things / safe alternative therapies that might help).

Bowen therapy is an alternative therapy, a very safe non-evasive thing, that I've been getting regularly for a number of years. It has particularly helped me with sciatica, but can help with all sorts of aches, pains and just general health and wellbeing. Again maybe worth seeing is someone local that does that, and is safe can't cause any harm at all, very gentle indeed, works on doing gentle moves to reset fascia in your body which helps with healing.

It is so hard to deal with Bo I remember from my own time with it - but just want to encourage you that it does get better, it's so hard to see that when in the midst of it and when it takes a while to recover sometimes, but absolutely there is hope and recovery from this thing and you will get there with time - I truly believe that. It took me 10 months to see a turning point, and was so drained and down by that point, but thanks to God only got there and believing you will get there too.

Craig

• Posted

Hey Jelley!

Glad you're doing well... im at 2 years and practically 100%. it is ridiculous what this virus does, i thought i was the only person going through this and would never get better but we both are ... good news!

Lovely to hear you are nearly back (touch wood)

regards

caroline

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

It's very nice to see a post from you, I'm so pleased to hear you have been doing much better this is really great news. I hope that if you took up the college place that it is going well for you and that this Christmas and 2019 can be joyful and happy and healthy for you and your family!! I'm still working through some issues but God reminded me today that there is hope that things can and will get better - holding onto that for sure it's so important to me.

Do keep in touch and message periodically let us know how things are going!! Sending best wishes and hugs!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

how are you doing now, hows your back?!. I know its been while since i've been on here but i will try and pop in more often. college has started and going really well thank you. it's great i can now manage normal stuff every day and feel still good.... i only occasionally feel exhausted but its hardly anything. my life is back and i am so relieved.

very best wishes to you Craig and i hope you have the best Christmas. you deserve it.

caroline x

• Posted

Hey Caroline,

It's great to hear things are going well and you are enjoying college - that really is a tremendous achievement where you have got to now Caroline considering the hard road you had to go through with this thing - you have shown real courage, determination and guts! It's normal still to have those feelings of tiredness at times but again they will continue to improve as the months / years go on Caroline, that was my experience for sure and this thing can no longer harm you like it did before, praying for God's protection in that respect for us all!

I'm still having some issues with my back Caroline and it's been a tough 18 months for me, just want to feel like I can make real progress with various issues to do with my health and work. Just wish I was as confident and focussed and strong as before, recently lost job and coming to terms with that but it's almost like a relief but just worry I won't focus myself or feel fit enough to do anything productive or positive again - really want that breakthrough Caroline but God has been helping me for sure, things have been a little more settled recently just need to keep hoping and believing and trusting God.

Thanks for the best wishes and very much hoping for a happy, joyful, peaceful and healthy Christmas for you and your family too! Do keep in touch!

Craig x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.