Just about to start Naltrexone

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have just ordered my first supply of Naltrexone ... I am both excited and incrediby apprehensive at starting it, the excitement at the moment, far outweighing the worry of side effects, bearing in mind if I carry on the way I am, the side effects of my alcohol intake will be far worse I know!! ... I want to thank JoannaC3europe for her help in pointing me in the right direction, and more via private messaging! Also others for initial advice and help with navigating this forum ...be patient with me please, I still use pen, paper and royal mail stamps!! :-D

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Welcome Kerry, this is a great place for support and information from like minded people! I'm reasonably new here too. I've recently started on Selincro or Nalmefene because I hit rock bottom and ended up going to my GP for help. It's changed my drinking habits so much, although a lot of it is me wanting to be in control of my drinking too. Most weeks I would have been drinking anything from 6--8- bottles of wine a week... My drinking was out of control and I felt so ashamed and embarassed afterwards...a lot of the time, I'd be drinking alone, this week I've shared a bottle of wine with my other half, and been able to have 2-3 beers and then stop. It's a step in the right direction. Give yourself a pat on the back and be kind to yourself. Good luck x 

• Posted

Thank you Janie, and well done for making the changes too. Like you, my poison of choice is wine and I'm drinking even more than you were and mostly alone too, so can totally relate to the feeling ashamed and embarrassed - it's a good means of support on here, am so glad I found it! Thanks for your kind words and an even bigger pat on the back for you for doing so well! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.