just bad flu or a CFS relapse?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After 7 years of being in remission from CFS/M.E. I went down with flu 5 weeks ago and am making no recovery. Is this a relapse or just bad flu (I normally take longer to get over colds/flu than the average person) ?

I had 7 years of very severe M.E. from 1995-2002 followed by 5 years of steady recovery. 5 years ago I went back to uni to study for a new career and have worked full time for 2 years. This was challenging but possible and I had to be careful not over do it at the weekend or in the evening. Then I started a new job before Christmas and immediately felt overwhelmed by the workload and stress. Telling myself I just needed time to settle in I managed as best I could but in mid February caught this virus which has not shifted. In fact some symptoms are worse particularly the achey legs and arms. Very worried. 

Please help. Thank you.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Emma, sorry to hear this after such encouraging times ... I'm not a health professional, but this winter I got some kind of flu and it took me 2 months before I started to feel like myself again. Now I'm starting to get back to the level from before, but I'm not there yet. So I guess it could be that this flu is taking more time because you have a history of CFS. Hope someone can give your more useful advice!
    • Posted

Thanks Jasmin. I know there has been a bad flu around and given it usually hits me hard,  I hope it is just that. Glad you are back from it now.
  • Posted

Dear Emma,

I have not had a bad flu since recovering from ME about 25 years ago. Colds and minor flu (but bad for my wife) have not caused a relapse to ME. The recovery time after flu can be prolonged so it may be too soon to despair. I do hope it is not full ME. It is so laborious to recover.

for a note of encouragement, if I overdo it then I am flat for two or three days. Taking it very easy is all I need do to get my energy back and dispel the brain fog.

with best wishes

George

• Posted

thanks George - I agree it is too soon to despair. Hard not worry though when old symptoms I haven't had in years come back.
  • Posted

Hi Emma, i really hope it is just flu symptoms that have you feeling this way. Myself and my father got a dose of the flu about a month ago and his lasted for three whole weeks and he has no health complaints.. I also heard that this hard-to-shift flu has been giving many people unusual symptoms and is very hard to get rid if, so hopefully its just that...best wishes
    • Posted

thanks Rachel, it is a very nasty flu indeed and I need to stop panicking and just let my body do its thing.
    • Posted

Well I can understand your concern! I think its good to be vigilant, buy fingers crossed its only this horrible flu, it was really nasty, im still not really over it yet either!
    • Posted

Dear Emma, 

I do not at all blame you for being anxious. Anybody who has had ME would be horrified at suffering a full recurrance of the disease.

just treat yourself very carefully. I hope the post flu symptoms will pass.

• Posted

I picked up a cold bug in January and it knocked me for six and it wasn't much. I was in bed for days and usually it wouldn't have hit me that hard. I thought I got over it and then it hit me again so what you describe doesn't surprise me
    • Posted

Thanks, I know there is a nasty bug around, so hopefully I will start to recover soon.
  • Posted

Dear Emma,

Sorry to hear you've had a bad time recently.  Although you've had a good 5 years, don't underestimate how demanding studying and starting a new job is.  Mental and emotional stress takes its toll on the immune system too, and it sounds like yours has hit a low point enabling the virus to get a hold.  Being worried is understandable.  If I were in your situation, I would rest as soon as I got home from work and at the weekend.  I'd take supplements to ensure my immune system is boosted and use hypnotherapy CDs to calm my brain and relax my body from the worry.  If that's not your thing, what about talking books or plays or comedy shows on iplayer so that you can ly down with your eyes closed and be distracted from your worry.  You've just been overloaded, it's not permanent  and you will improve. 

Best Wishes

• Posted

Hi emma679

I was told at the me/cfs clinic at Clitheroe hospital thats its because of the me/cfs that it made recovered much slower from colds and flu plus it can make the me/cfs symptons feel worse so its abit of both with the sounds of it. I, ve had it for 21years now and it always takes me several weeks to recover much longer then normal. I hope this has been helpful to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.