just bad flu or a CFS relapse?

Posted , 8 users are following.

After 7 years of being in remission from CFS/M.E. I went down with flu 5 weeks ago and am making no recovery. Is this a relapse or just bad flu (I normally take longer to get over colds/flu than the average person) ?

I had 7 years of very severe M.E. from 1995-2002 followed by 5 years of steady recovery. 5 years ago I went back to uni to study for a new career and have worked full time for 2 years. This was challenging but possible and I had to be careful not over do it at the weekend or in the evening. Then I started a new job before Christmas and immediately felt overwhelmed by the workload and stress. Telling myself I just needed time to settle in I managed as best I could but in mid February caught this virus which has not shifted. In fact some symptoms are worse particularly the achey legs and arms. Very worried. 

Please help. Thank you.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I am new to this forum and noticed your discussion. I have been in a similar position. Had a nasty cough/flu virus in Mid February and can't shift it as well as having old CFS symptoms flared up. I was also working full time as well as studying and had been feeling increasingly run down since Christmas. It is bothersome that I am still feeling too unwell to return to work for my 5th week. But a bit reassuring to see that I am not alone in taking longer to recover once a virus has really got into me.

• Posted

Hi Alison, are you in the UK? There has been a bad flu around. I am still not able to go back to work for my 6th week. This is most unusual as I have been well for some years. I guess rest and relaxation are the only ways to get over it properly. Work has offered me a job share when I return which is great because I never wanted to work full time again, but there were no part time opportunities when I returned to work after 16 years (!!!). Hope you get well soon too.
  • Posted

Thanks Emma, yes I am in the UK. And like you  I will also be in my 6th week of not feeling well enough to work this week.. The last one that got me was the Swine flu 4 years ago. I don't know if I felt as unwell as this by the 6th week. I was working for two employers before Christmas totalling 40 to 50 hours work a week. I knew I was pushing it. I had dropped to 30 in January, but some of the work was stressful. That is good you are being offered a job share. I am on a zero hour contract which feels even more unstable now. I think that is one of the hardest things about CFS is not knowing how long it will take to feel better. I am planning on going back to uni to finish my degree in September. I hope that we both feel well enough to be back at work after Easter if not before. 
    • Posted

hi Alison, it is a very nasty strain if you say swine flu wasn't as bad as this! We have just got to rest and try and relax as much as possible. I am taking extra supplements and echinacea and at least my appetite has returned so I can eat more now. Worrying about jobs doesn't help, but there is no point in going back sick. Let's hope we are both back soon. Good luck for re-starting your uni degree later this year. All the best.
  • Posted

I had been given the anti viral drugs for swine flu as my daughter got that one first but I think that even with not getting it too acutely it still took me about 2 months to get over the post flu symptoms. This flu was a nasty strain, making people without CFS ill for a few weeks too. Hopefully these post flu symptoms ease by the 2 month mark if not before. But I know how worrying it is when some symptoms seem worse even after all this time. Thank you for your encouraging comments to me. I will try to remember to take the echinacea and vitamin C supplements and rest even when feeling not too bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.