Just been diagnised with onset hip arthiritis very emotional

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with onset osteoarthritis in my hip. I'm 38 and feel very emotional. All I've done is cry for the past 2 days. Is it normal to feel like this? No idea where to turn as not knowing what to expect. Can't sleep for thinking about the future (pain isn't even that bad at the minute, just my emotional state) Thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I was diagnosed with severe OA in both hips, the right hip being very short of cartilage, four years ago, and it was a big shock. The G.P. referred me for major surgery. However, I luckily found Susan Westlake on this web-site. She told me about Trigger Point Therapy and the importance of following it up with exercise. Her book is available on Amazon, try to get a copy. I am simply no worse than I was four years ago, the pain and stiffness is controllable, and I'm determined not to have surgery for as long as possible. 

• Posted

I was 46 when I started having groin pain during long runs.

It was a further year before I was diagnosed with arthritis of the hip and facing hip surgery.

My wife wrote to the doctor and told I wasn't coping with not being able to run.

He told me I was still fit and to forget about running and cycle instead. It's that or I get treated for depression.

The cycling did it for me, right up to before I had hip replacement surgery and I was told by the surgeon my hip muscles would remember how they'd formerly been and it'd make the recover easier.

You're very young to be facing hip surgery but if you look after yourself fitness wise you'll be fine and you'll feel better emotionally too.

Good luck

• Posted

Sorry it's hit you so hard Cheryl.  It's going to be difficult for you to hear this but in reality, its so not the end of the world.  I have arthritis in multiple places, the first started in one ankle following an accident which destroyed the cartilage.  Some days I'm in pain, others I'm not.  Some things are a bit difficult, others arent.  OA varies both in its intensity/pain levels and also how fast or slow it progresses.  Best advice, try not to get distressed or stressed - this will in fact make it worse.  Stress increases the inflammation and therefore the symptoms.  The future is just that, not here yet.  Your symptoms may not get any worse, they may take a long time to progress or they may get painful quickly - BUT, big but......that hasnt happened yet.  There are loads of things you can do to minimise the progression of the OA - exercises, changing your diet to include anti inflammatory foods, supplements, anti inflammatory medications, etc etc etc., long before surgery becomes necessary, if at all.  I've got my ankle pain down to a very manageable level - I know what to avoid in terms of what not to eat, how much I walk, what other things I can and cant do.  Surgery for my ankle is not an option so I manage it and its no more than an annoyance.  I have OA in both thumb joints too now.  They were killer painful and got to a point where I couldnt do even the simplest things with my hands.  I've found a whole range of things to ease off the pain, I know to avoid gripping in a certain way and to rest them etc.  They stil have the OA, but it's again something that is definitely manageable.  With hip OA - things that help are losing weight if that's an issue, research what foods aggravate OA, read up on some of the threads on here about what supplements have helped, go swimming (great gentle non load bearing exercise), google specific PT exercises etc etc.  Lastly, dont automatically assume the worst - there are always horror stories on here but honestly, really, absolutely, they are the exception not the rule.

• Posted

Thankyou, I certainly need to change my way of thinking as getting way ahead of myself. I had been referred to a PT before I was diagnosed as doctor thought I had pulled a muscle in my groin so I'm still going to keep the appointment. Glad your not in too much pain

• Posted

We're here for you.  Yes, it's normal to feel like that.  Don't think of the future, focus on the moment.   

• Posted

Thankyou, hopefully I will feel better once I've managed a good night's sleep, and think about today and not tomorrow (or 10 years time)

• Posted

So you have been diagnosed with OE in your hip, what is the problem? It's not cancer or a terminal illness, it's a condition in your hip that is easily treatable. I have a friend who had her hip replaced in her 40's it's not uncommon. She leads a very full and active life, replacement hips mean that you can move as before and no pain. 

I have had 2 finger joint replacements and I am pain free. I never understand why people delay having surgery when they are in pain. Unfortunately finger joints don't move like hips so it's not perfect, if I had the choice I would want OE in the hip. 

I realise its a td a shock but it's not the end of the world and you can be a bit like the bionic women 

• Posted

I've been in extreme pain for 14 years! Had to live through it until I could have 2 total knee replacements.  You manage. simple.  It's not brain shattering stuff

• Posted

Please don't cry!!!!

This might not be what it seems. There is not test for OA. It a diagnosis of exclusion. It can only be diagnosed when all else has been ruled out. I bet they haven't ruled out muscle imbalance as the cause?

Go to my profile. You'll find a link to a website. Go there, have a read and see what you think.

For what it's worth, I was diagnosed with hip OA at age 42. I'm now 54 and symptom free. Living a very full and active life with lots of strength training and sports. Mine was said to be a 'classic case' and the doctors were very certain. They were wrong. They are wrong about very many people.

MUCH too soon to give up and cry!

• Posted

Sorry but you can clearly see OE damage on an X-ray or MRI. It's not a guessing game it's very clear when it's OE

• Posted

X-rays and MRI's can determine osteoarthritis (OA), mine quite clearly showed the absence of cartilage, which is what OA is.

• Posted

X-rays clearly show the presence of 'radiographic OA' but radiographic OA isn't a disease and isn't anything to worry about. Most people will have OA in at least one joint in their body by middle age but never, ever develop a single symptom.

What people are generally concerned about is 'symptomatic OA'. That is what is considered to be the 'disease'.

Nowadays, 'radiographic OA' (what shows up on x-rays) is considered to be benign. A normal part of the wear and repair process. So much so, that the current NICE guidelines state that there is absolutely no value in using xrays or MRI's to make an OA diagnosis. Doctors in the UK are advised against getting xrays done in order to diagnose OA in over 40's (except to rule out other conditions). Because there is no correlation between what's found on x-ray and symptoms.

As I stated - OA is a diagnosis of exclusion. That's not my opinion - it's what the NICE guidelines say. There is no test for it. The fact that you have 'radiographic OA' does not mean you have the disease known as Osteoarthritis. If x-ray evidence of OA was enough to make an OA diagnosis then you could pretty much guarantee that everyone over 50 has osteoarthritis somewhere in their body.

Take a look at the NICE guidelines if you don't believe me. Readily available online.

• Posted

It doesn't mean that it's not a guessing game! It still is.  Just b/c someone can see it on an xray does not mean that it's a serious concern!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.