just been prescribed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all... i got prescribed citalopram yesterday for severe depression and was immediately put off after reading the side effects on the leaflet. then i found this site and was even more put off... but the ones with positive experiences have given me hope... im torn between the two. i've got the tablets in front of me now and going over in my head whether or not i shoudl take them.. i've made an appointment to go and see my gp on monday to discuss the options. i'm desparate to do anything to make me feel better.. but if this is goin to make me feel worse....then what do i do? please help sad

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had severe depression and was prescribed citalopram in october. There were side effects for about a couble of weeks, early waking, hot sweats etc but these passed and are all to do with the rebalancing of chemicals. However eventually improvement began to happen and I am so much better (i have a very stressful job with long hours and I am managing this). Those feelings of dread and hopelessness have passed and my mood is much better. Not completely ok and this may take time but I am getting along much better and enjoying life more. So I would say stick with it as the sunshine does begin to break through but it is slowly, bit by bit. I have had no remarkable \"wake up one day and feel on top the world\" experience it has been gradual. I think this is the way it is supposed to happen as the drug slowly allows the chemical balance to readjust.

I have also found a book called \"overcoming Depression\" useful in explaining what is happening and strategies to help \"defend\" yourself against depression.

Anyway won't go on any longer but be prepared to give it a go - I think I was 6 to 8 weeks in before things really started to kick in and improve.

good luck and post on here if you want to talk more about this.

• Posted

thank u sooooooooo much for your words of support. I was really scared when I read people were having hallucinations and stuff...but I guess it doesnt necessarily mean it would happen to me...we'll see i guess! I just want to feel better.
  • Posted

hope aall goes well - keep in touch on here and let me know how you are getting along. Be prepared that you may feel a bit worse in the first few weeks. I did - again this is something to do with the way the drug begins to alter the brain chemistry back to normal. In the same way you may find sleeping a bit difficult. I found going for a walk later on in the day helpful.

However one day I just realised that the waking and hot sweats had stopped and that I was beginning to feel better. It was a gradual improvement. So stick with it. I will keep an eye on this post just in case you need to share any experiences before the meds properly kick in.

best wishes

• Posted

I was perscribed citalopram after having a really bad bout of depression when everything seemed to go wrong at the same time, and although reluctant stuck with it. It's not great, but nine times out of ten at least i can function without slipping back to the way i was. I realise it doesn't matter what you take there is never no quick fix solution (if only there were) I take two 20mg a day. My worry is what happens when (or if) i stop. As for the side effects mine were bad, teeth grinding (which i still have) and very bad sickness. I couldn't sleep and had no appetite, but i got some anti-sickness tablets from my G.P and after three days it cleared up. So stick with them and good luck!
  • Posted

In October, I was suffering from severe depression and at it's worst dragged myself to the doctors and cried all over his desk. He prescibed 20mg Citalopram and booked me for an initial assessment with a mental health team. For about 3 or 4 days I suffered with anxiety and paranoia and a weird detachment from myself (can't even describe it). But after that I started to feel more motivated to do things and I was doing things that I hadn't been able to do for a long time like housework and deal with my kids! I did find that I felt hot and sweaty more than usual but that has stopped now. Over the weeks my mood has improved (has been up and down tho because of colds etc..) and i'm feeling much better now. I feel like 'me' again! I get bad PMS and this month it was very mild, hardly noticable so the tablets must really be working. Since starting the tables I have had trouble reaching orgasm. This is still a problem but being happy and able to care for myself and family is more important. I was referred to a pshychiatrist and I met with her last week. She has put me on 30mg Citalopram and wow I can already feel the difference. 20mg helped but I just needed a little more help. They like to increase the dose slowly by 10mg a time. She has booked me for psychotherapy so i'll see if that helps. My advise would be to take the tablets and see how you get on. They improve motivation pretty much straight away but take weeks to help with mood (which is why suicide is more common in first few weeks after starting an antidepressant). I was worried when I read the leaflet but took them anyway. If you do feel bad on them, carry on taking them because the side effects should wear off. :lol:
  • Posted

I suppose the way to look at this medication and the stated side effects is; can this medication make you feel any worse than you do now? Are the side effects listed much different to what you feel when your depressed? I had the same anxiety before I started taking them, and my CPN said these few sentenaces to me, which made me feel more happier about starting the medication. Which I have to say has now been increased, however has begun to work. I have felt my mood stabilize and people keep saying I look and sound better. My side effects was feel sick, lack of sleep and loss of appetite, which wasn't such a bad thing as I've lost a few pounds over the 2 months I've been taking it. Good luck. M
  • Posted

Hey all.. once again thank u for ur kind words of support. I still haven't taken the pills yet as i'm still scared! I've never ever brrn this scared to take medication before. But I've decided I must start as soon as possible because I'm feeling worse day by day- my life just seems so worthless. I'm gona start tomorrow. i keep thinking i'm gona faint etc and noone will be here to call the ambulance-i live on my own- but i really want to feel better so the pros out weigh the cons....i'll keep u posted. Maybe im just worrying over nothing. I'm fit and healthy otherwise and have never really had any reactions to other meds.. so...we'll see!
  • Posted

look at it like this - if you had diadetes and you were given medication to bring things back into balance you probably would. If you didn't take the insulin you condition would get worse and you would feel more ill etc. i.e. a vicious circle forms feel ill- won't take drug - feel worse etc.

Now in this case it is the brain chemicals that are out of balance, serotonin too low etc. This is making you feel like you do - or at least a big part of the issue. When we feel like this it is much more difficult to think rationally about negative thoughts and the flight response cuts in making us feel worse. A vicious cycle sets in. (I'm not a medical expert but am having CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) and was recommended to read the book I referred to above).

Consequently you don't feel like taking the medication cos of the way you feel. The medication however builds up the serotonin in your brain and this improves mood which helps you deal with the depression. I think it works like this

Serotonin is a chemical that transfers signals in your brain and improves mood. However when it has been used the brain reabsorbs the chemical until it is needed again. However in our cases too much is reabsorbed and so we don't have enough in the brain and this creates the symptoms of depression. Citalopram works by blocking the serotonin from being reabsorbed - I think it is a bit like putting corks in bottles to stop the serotonin from getting back in. Over time this process allows the serotonin to build up. The drugs are not addictive.

As I have said I am not in any way from the med profession just passing on my interpretation of what has been passed on to me to the best of my knowledge in the hope that it helps you make the decision. I am now so much better after about 3 months so I would say do what you feel will help you stop feeling the dread that we feel in depression. However if you start taking remember what I said about the first few weeks.

best of luck and let me know how you are getting on. (sorry to go on at length again

• Posted

Hi Just found this site. I have also been prescribed citalopram today. This is after being on Prozac for some years. I feel as if I am losing the plot once again. Cannot sleep, if I do I have nightmares. I am so exausted.

I will be taking the citalopram from tomorrow evening. I will keep you posted as to the results. I'm not expecting any sudden miracles, but hope to find some life quality. I have started once again experiencing panic attacks, and avoiding people. Little things get to me.

I hope we find some relief. Best wishes Carol

• Posted

Hey, Carol, I am like you. over sensitive, over analyse etc! I hope this pill works for you!! I am so exhausted also, and I have just handed my resignation at work...but feeling slightly relieved by doing so!

I have these thoughts, that existed, T point in my life when things were important,but someone unknown to me v hurt me, and now my partner cant understand me, I have lost it!! He has now swung for me out of anger, bu t because of my past I find it v difficult to let anyone touch me , esp just now, and i do not understand myself!

This pill has had its share fair of battles on me, but Ithink it does work for mood disorder, but not for the body pain!!! Time is said to be a healer , but for me I shrug htings under something so that it explodes!! I feel so dirty and ashamed at stuff at the mo! Though, My days are happier and I can think more positvely while I am on this pill. My confidence has grown and that has helped!

• Posted

Hi All

I've been taking Citalopram since october 07. I had time off work and for the first 6 weeks spent most of my time in bed. I got up more and more often and the length of time out of bed increased gradually.

Thinking about it i got tired, had a few sweaty times and and felt abnormal. my head was fuzzy.

Even with these side effects I would would rather have a life time of them, than living in a depressed state feeling anxious(can't spell it sorry), having panic attacks and feeling like the whole world is against me. feeling like I have no where or no one to run to.

All the side effects have gone (for a long time), I'm back at work and feeling a lot happier and confident.

My doctor has suggested for me to get some counselling to help me work out and to control my feelings.

Sometimes I get so upset and angry when I get put down by someone and I moan about whatever has happened and can't control myself. I feel like I'm going to explode.

I don't want to feel like this, so I'm going to do something about it.

When I was depressed I would never of thougth like that. I would have coward in a corner and think I was being picked on and everyone hated me, which I now know was not true.

One last comment. Don't put of taking that little pill. take it today. you can choose whatever time of day that suits you and then adjust the time later when it starts to get into you system.

Good luck everyone and chin up.

GO ON GIVE YOUR COMPUTER A GREAT BIG SMILE AND WE WILL ALL BE SMILING AT EACH OTHER.

Yep I'm still mad.....xx

• Posted

:lol: :D Okay, so Ive left my work!!!Yippeee!!!!!!

Having a holiday!!!!

smile Its contagious!!!!! Yep!!, Mrs J you are right!! I have been sweaty on these pills too. But I dont feel nauses anymore, (or how ever you spell that!). I wouldnt worry about the side effects, at all.

If you look at the side effects of disprin.....they are pretty bad too!!! So dont worry!! I feel good today, though had the odd panic!!!And did get a bit dissapointed about womans aid, blah blah blah. But had I not been taking this tablet....I dont think I would have made it home!!! So my advice is, give them a bash!!!

Does anyone know how you get rid of the word \"citalopram\" off google search?. Partner wants to read me...NO NO NO!!!!Help!

• Posted

hellooooo! we'll I got up today and guess what- I TOOK THE PILLS.. well half of it anyways as prescribed by GP.... i was so anxious and scared then i phoned my mum and she said not to worry....hmm! the day has gone ok so far.. made it to counselling. it was funny because on my way there every time I felt a way i thought OH NO it's the tablet .. then I thought to myself \"dont be so silly. stop thinkin about it so much\" It's now 14.40 and I'm doing ok so far!!! Let's hope it lasts 'cause as from sunday I will be starting full dose of 20mg.
  • Posted

Well done! Lady CR. When I started on 20mg, I was forgetful, dizzy, nausea, and on edge....most of that has worn off now, and I feel like I can control my moods better....but I stilll cant sleep! Good luck!! and Take care! Keep us posted on how you are doing. I think it really helps!!!
  • Posted

hi tiny tears..how long have u been on it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.