just been prescribed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all... i got prescribed citalopram yesterday for severe depression and was immediately put off after reading the side effects on the leaflet. then i found this site and was even more put off... but the ones with positive experiences have given me hope... im torn between the two. i've got the tablets in front of me now and going over in my head whether or not i shoudl take them.. i've made an appointment to go and see my gp on monday to discuss the options. i'm desparate to do anything to make me feel better.. but if this is goin to make me feel worse....then what do i do? please help sad

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

smile Hi Lady CR, i stating taking it the 2nd week in July 2007. It has helped me through some v harrowing times!!! Though sometimes I still get low, but i have drunk wine on them as well, which obviously does not help. Good luck....you know you can smile again!!!
  • Posted

hey...... wel i had a rough night..didnt get any sleep. not sure if it's cus i was anxious about thingshappenin to me cus of the tablet or if it was the tablet... i spent all day in bed coudnt really sleep but couldnt really get up...im up now doing house chores...we'll see how it goes again tonight! sigh!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Lady CR, Yep! I cant sleep on these either!!!! In fact, I reckon I have not had a proper nights sleep in , what, nearly5mnths. I have one night where I slept for 15 hours. Then right back to being insomniac me!!! My mood is better...but god...when I come of these I am scared that i will end up in a coma ot something!!!!! Mood is better though, I dont shout and cry like I used to!!Take care!!
  • Posted

im here and still alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank god! no serious side effects. but i still have trouble sleeping. my gp told me that should wear off in a few days.... as they always say!!!!!! im a bit shaky and my appetite is suppressed...but thats it! no hallucinations ...NOT YET ANYWAYS..... keep u guys posted!
  • Posted

I have bee up all night!!! But then again I did drink 2 bott;es of wine and take 7 silly little pills and a sleeping tablet. I am completelty jaded, but you know , it puts the side effects into perspective...dont you think????

Me....I think I will just sleep today....I will let you know if I survive!!!!Ive been through worse!!!!!Take care!!!! (Sorry, I did this Saturday night, not last night!!!!)..I am surviving . Actually, I cant believe it is Monday morning, AM I HALUCINATTING.........OR WHAT???????

• Posted

Hi

I'm so glad I've found this - I've just returned from my doctors after (to cite a previous post) crying over her desk. I've suffered on and off with depression and anxiety attacks for years, and have been down the Prozac and Seroxat paths. The past few years have been good however. New job, sorting out my finances, going on holidays, new hobbies etc. Then in September, when I went back to work after the summer holiday (I'm a secondary school teacher) I was hit with a bout of pneumonia. Because I'm asthmatic and had had a lot of time off the previous couple of years, I didn't take the time off to recover how I should have. And the cycle of getting sick all the time continued. To the point where it's January and I've already had 21 days off sick.

This has knocked me for six. I'm low, tired, crying all the time (but in private), mood swings ... you know the score.

Last night I decided, that I would go back to work today and then go to the docs. I didn't make it into work, hot sweats, nausea etc. So I went to my docs and let it all out.

She's signed me off for another week, (although I want to be back in work by Wednesday, I miss my students and I feel like I'm letting them down. ) and prescribed me Citalopram. I've read good 'reviews' and bad 'reviews'. The way I see it - it can't really make me feel any worse than I do now can it?

It's wonderful (in a bizarre way - after all - should I really be happy that others are feeling the way I do?) that there are people out there who are willing to talk to each other about their experiences. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Posted

:? Hi All, Old & New Users.... I just wanted to ask the newbies how they are getting on now with tablets? I have just started today, and like most of you, was put off by the side effects. To be honest I took the tablet before I read them as I knew this is how I would feel.

I just thought well I try it, if it doesn't suit me I'll go back to the Doc and get weaned off em...

• Posted

This is my third day and I can't sleep. Grinding teeth, headaches, hot and cold sweats and can't eat. So it's going great!

I've found that I've had really prolonged crying sessions today - I think I'm just letting it all out though, which is really good. I'm just glad I'm signed off until the end of the week, I could do with another week but I really can't risk it.

Don't feel great but I'm going to try and get some sleep now ... wish I had some sleeping tablets but then I think I'd probably end up like a complete zombie (not that I'm not at the moment!)

• Posted

Hi

Don't be scared to take the pills. They may not work, but there is good chance they will. I have been taking them for a month or so and the difference they are making is incredible. My problem (amongst many) was that I could not switch my head off from thinking about relationships. The pills have enabled me to think about these things but not feel the need to hide under the duvet. I used to just come home from work and go straight to bed, looking forward to the weekend where I could have a reason to not get up at all. Citalopram will make you feel a bit sick for the first few days, but presevere and try them. I am probably the most relaxed I have been for years now and really beginning to think clearly.

S

• Posted

Day 4:

I want to stick with them but I've had 2 hours sleep in 48 hours. I can't stop grinding my teeth and I feel so sick. I hope this wears off soon as I want to go back to work on Monday.

• Posted

[quote:c9505b47de=\"lady C_R_R\"]Hi all... i got prescribed citalopram yesterday for severe depression and was immediately put off after reading the side effects on the leaflet. then i found this site and was even more put off... but the ones with positive experiences have given me hope... im torn between the two. i've got the tablets in front of me now and going over in my head whether or not i shoudl take them.. i've made an appointment to go and see my gp on monday to discuss the options. i'm desparate to do anything to make me feel better.. but if this is goin to make me feel worse....then what do i do? please help sad[/quote:c9505b47de]

I got prescribed this yesterday. I have been taking Fluxoetine (Prozac) for months but they weren't really working. I read the leaflet and it scared me a bit but I never had a better nights slee as I did last night. I do however take Valium with it so I was well into zzzzz land.

• Posted

Me , well I am now just a complete alcho.....How you getting on with the drug Lady C R?, I hope you are getting better, or have you been prescribed something else? Not heard from you in a while. Hope you are okay. Take care!
  • Posted

HI ALL! I KNOW HAVENT HEARD FROM ME IN A WHILE BUT IVE BEEN AWAY AND ITHINK THE TABS ARE WORKING NOW AS I FEEL BETTER!!! ITS BEEN GRADUAL AND I WONDERED AT ONE POINT WHETHER THEY WERE GONA WORK OR NOT.. BUT APPARENTLY THEY AYRE! HOW R U ALL?
  • Posted

Hi Lady CR, glad to hear you are feeling a bit better! Me, I am just having a rough time, but think that if I were not taking this pill I would have killed myself of drinking! I hope I get better sonn, I go up and the I go down and so on. Hope you keep doing well! Take care,, Tiny Tears.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.