Just been prescribed Mebeverine Hydrochloride

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have just been prescribed Mebeverine for suspected IBS. I have also had some blood tests to check for Coeliac Disease. Has anyone taken these tablets before? Just wondered what they're like. I know each person reacts differently but would like to hear other people's experiences. I should get the blood results back in a few days. Wonder why my Dr prescribed these before the test results come in? I'm not convinced that it's IBS.......I don't get diarrhoea, just an urgent need to go. Get a lot of pain in tum like it's red and inflammed, absolutely shattered all the time too. Is anyone else feeling like this?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi yes i was taking the same pills they made no diffrence to me at all i didnt get diarrhoea unless i ate the wrong food stuff, but i found i got the urgent need to go soon after food and my belly was making terrible sound lol , but i stopped taking the pills and i have to be careful what i eat it is trial and error with food sorry cant realy say anymore just my experience .
  • Posted

Hi Debb13,

I have been prescribed Mebeverine many times, I only use them when my IBS is particularly

bad, and they do seem to help, without causing any side effects. I wouldn't worry about using them, I

doubt if they will do any harm, even if you are taking them before the blood test results are back.

Not everyone with IBS has diarrhoea, some people are constipated, whereas some vary between.

Yes, the pain of IBS is horrible, I describe it as 'colicky' or 'gripe' pains, and you can also have a lot of

bloating and flatulence. It can make you feel miserable. I hope you feel better soon. Often, just the

knowledge that you have IBS, but that it is not serious, it will not develop into cancer, and that ultimately,

despite being very unpleasant, it will do you no harm, is enough to reassure you, and it is easier to

accept the symptoms in the knowledge that you will be fine. Over the years, this is what I have managed

to do, and I have also identified the foods which trigger my IBS, such as too much wheat, so I try to avoid

eating things which I know I will pay for later! Good luck, and try not to worry. smile

• Posted

Thanks Wursty, that's helpful and good to know. I have had the blood results back over the telephone and they have come back normal so I have to go in now and see my Dr for another chat. I have taken the Mebeverine a few times but they seem to make me want to go to the loo in the early hours of the morning - not sure if this is just a coincidence!! It's the tiredness that I have really struggled with, particularly as I am a Mum of three. Anyway, stomach feeling quite a bit better this week - hopefully it will last a while.
  • Posted

Hi Debb,

Glad your results came back normal, that's great. I can empathise with how you are feeling, I too am a Mum of three boys, and my IBS began when they were all just little (they are now 26, 24 and 21!) and I was

absolutely exhausted a lot of the time too. Glad your stomach is feeling better though, all the best with your

chat with your doctor. I'm sure you will be fine. Take care. wink

• Posted

After all the tests i was told i had ibs., with urgency being the worst thing. I was scared to go anywhere that i could not acsess a toilet quickly.The pain was awful so i went back to my gp who prescibed mebeverine.They worked really quickly , but i only take them when needed .They do tend to make me constipated.(better than the other thing).Now i never go anywhere without a few in my pocket. A life saver for me.!!!
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

I have had ibs for 10 years now and a lot of different medication,I can recommend spasminal for your ibs

much better than mebervine , it works instantly !doctors give one 10 mins before a meal but I recommend 2

For instant relief .

Chin up xx

• Posted

Thanks all for your comments. Wingwing - I will ask my doctor for spasminal as the mebeverine takes a while to work and as others have said seems to make me constipated. My main problem at the moment is chronic trapped wind which is sometimes excruciating. It's definitely linked to hormones for me as I am noticing a real pattern. I wish it would go away....... I try not to let it get me down and started running about three months ago. Sometimes its too painful and I can't go out for my run and other times I go anyway and it seems to help disperse some of the discomfort. On occasion I feel like my insides are going to drop out (that's a bit graphic, sorry!).

xx

• Posted

I`ve been diagnosed with IBS years ago and 60 odd now!!! Have had Mebeverine Hydrochloride(Colofac) and found it alleviated severity of symptoms but not completely rid of them. GP probably gave them to you as they are pretty safe bet and they certainly don`t do any harm while you wait for your results. You dont need to have diarroah/constipation everyone different. Good luck and hope this has helped you
  • Posted

I was recently diagnosed with IBS too and initially prescribed mebeverine which helped initially with the cramps i was getting but my symptoms worsened again and so i'm now trying peppermint oil capsules which again worked initially but my symptoms are worsening again sad I tend to find some days i can't eat anything without needing to go to the toilet urgently with severe abdominal cramps which makes me reluctant to go anywhere and is rather embarrassing does anyone else have this problem or know of anything that could help? xx
  • Posted

In my experience the best medications by far for these terrible cramps and feelings are Merbentyl closely followed by Buscopan, a combination of the two is great as well. If it works for you Merbentyl is absolute bliss smile
  • Posted

Thank you i'll look into that smile are there any medications that can help with alternating diarrhoea and constipation or ease these symptoms at all?
  • Posted

RJ92 - I have been prescribed Fybogel Mebeverine which is supposed to help with both diarrhoea and constipation, however I have found it makes me quite constipated at times so I have stopped taking it as often as the box says to. It has really helped with my IBS though, it might be worth trying it.
  • Posted

That's great i'll look into that, thank you smile
  • Posted

With randomly alternating diarrhea and constipation what you do is take both a laxative and an anti-diarrhoeal simultaneously smile
  • Posted

I was given these tablets but they made no difference they made me worse and made my stomach distend more since stopping them my stomach doesn't swell as bad but still swollen sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.