Just been told I have a vaginal prolapse

Posted , 14 users are following.

Been told have a vaginal prolapse not sure what that quite means but now they are sending me to check my uretha can anyone tell me why when I walk feel as though everything is falling down help please scared and very upset

1 like, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I presume you have a cystocele (bladder prolapse) because you mention your urethra but I can't understand why you are being sent for someone to check your urethra. Who are they sending you to?

• Posted

The hospital I have a vaginal prolapse but they also think that's my doctor says think having problems with utetha to I'm so upset as getting married soon and scared I won't make it to my own wedding

• Posted

I'm sure you will be able to get married. This type of surgery is done frequently for women with various types of prolapse. I'm on a list for a vaginal vault prolapse which means the top of the vagina, (Cervix was removed years ago during hysterectomy) has slipped to the bottom, plus a rectocele or posterior prolapse. These types of surgery can take awhile to recover from as healing can't be hurried. We have to take care not to lift, bend or anything else which puts pressure on the pelvic floor while healing and for some time after in most cases. There's no reason to cancel your wedding, just make sure you tell the hospital staff the dates you won't be available and work round that. I'm sure you will get more support on here later when weekend is over. Best wishes, x rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks hun haven't been to hospital yet so will have to wait and see what happens from there its just I do things and then I'm sore and everything falls downwards ,doc doesn't seem to understand how hard it is to keep going but suppose we all feel that way x

• Posted

You are lucky that you have found this forum. Read some of the older posts they may help you understand where you are at and understand you are not alone with what is happening to you. I like you, didnt know anyone else with the same problems and found this forum after my operation. It has on many occassions provided me with helpful information which has reassured me and taken away the worry. Welcome to our forum regards Kath
  • Posted

Just re read my earlier post, I meant to write not mild may need surgery!
  • Posted

Hello Weesue. If you haven't already done so click on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page. There's a section there under the heading Useful Resources and it has got lots of useful, well researched information put together by Alan the Emis Moderator, myself and some of the other ladies on the forum. 

• Posted

Can't find the homepage help please x

• Posted

Just above Unfollow this discussion (in red) there's a link Genitourinary Prolapse. Click on that and it takes you to the home page.

• Posted

Thanks matron I just got appointment from physio so two weeks away but can't wait to see if they can help me but I must admit I'm getting so sore and now boiwelnseems to be trapped to so fed up x

• Posted

I have similar probs, ie 'poo' gets stuck in the bulge/prolapse, constantly needing to 'wee'. It helps too take stool softeners or laxative if you can, call at the chemist/pharmacy and ask their advice on this. It's because the pelvic floor muscles have weakened and allowed the bowel and bladder to slip downwards to the vaginal entrance. You can very carefully push them back and try NOT to get constipated. Plenty of fluids and fibre in your diet should help this. Also, sit with feet on a low stool or pile of toilet rolls to lift the hips a little, it helps you to push the 'poo' out easier. You need to put your feet up when sitting too if you can and lie with a pillow under your knees or between your knees for comfort when lying in bed. Don't carry heavy bags or lift heavy things, IMPORTANT! Your physio should be able to give advice but can't repair the prolapse, just helps strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. You must ask for a referral to a gynaecologist, the physio's report should help this to happen but ask yout GP too. It's uncomfortable and a real nuisance but not life threatening so not classed as urgent. Read the info on the Genitourinary Prolapse help page above as has been suggested. It helps to understand your problem and how to deal with it. Best wishes, Poll. rolleyes

• Posted

I so wish I had of known about this forum before my op rather than after.. all those months of struggling with my bowel prolapsing into my virginia and having to "help myself' by is it splinting ie having to use my fingers to push the pooh back into the right place so I could just have a bowel motion. There is light at the end of the tunnel ladies as now after my op I can go to the toilet normally which is so wonderful and I no longer have this urgent feeling to empty my bladder and barely been able to hang on(at times failing). Im so pleased I no longer have that bulge that is so uncomfortable. Yep it hurts after the operation, but we have pain killers and yes it takes a long time to come right. Not days but months but its worth it girls really and truelly worth it. Yes its a major operation but if you follow the instructions and read the sensible advice on this forum hopefully most of us will look back and feel happy that we trusted our doctors and are now well again and most importantly functioning properly. The biggest advice I would give to everyone is after the op take it easy dont rush and rest rest rest and let your bodies heal. xxx  

• Posted

Thanks for all that advice I'm still stuck as fibre upped and loads laxatives and still my colon isn't emptying properly at moment I can't even walk far been in tears loads this week. But all advice on here I am taking thanks so much x

• Posted

Weesue be careful about how much fibre you eat/drink because it can bulk the stool so that it's hard to pass. It's now thought useful if you need a lot of fibre to help constipation you should take a stool softener such as Dulcoese as well.

• Posted

Hi Weesue, Im not sure if you can purchase it where ever you live but I found Alpine Tea helpful. Cheers Kath
    • Posted

Hi Matron I'm taking 2 sachets of laxido and two sennakot a day prescribed by the doctor but still having problems going to the toilet in a lot of pain as the two prolapses I have to keep checking once I have been and still not going properly 😭 I'm trying eatoing prunes to see if that helps

• Posted

Where do you live kath I would try anything as I'm getting so sore I can't even go far I have now received appointment for physio o n the 27th Jan so hopefully that may help atnleast I hope so as so restricted to what I can do just now its making me feel quite low usually I'm a happy chappy big hugs and thanks foir the advice will see if can get some x

• Posted

I find natural yogurt and some of the yogurt drinks help me with constipation. Prunes are good but don't overdo with them as they are very high in fibre ans could cause diarroeh. I go quite often now, still get pain in rectum,coccyx region though. It's like a spasm of muscles or something after a bm! I also find resting with feet up or lying down helps with pain. Standing and walking make things worse. x rolleyes

• Posted

Im in New Zealand. Probably a long way away from most of you ladies. If I was you I would go on the internet and type in Alpine Tea. Its a herbal tea which a lady whom had just had a similar operation was told to get by our public hospital. It really did work for me as I had it a few days before my op and really helped me as I was struggling.  Where are you Weesue ?  
    • Posted

Hi cookie Scotland UK . will try internet have been taking loads and have been yesterday and today so hopefully colon is starting to move but the prolapse is making it very difficult I know there are worse of than me but doesn't help when can't do my normal everyday things just feel is one day feel OK next really bad xx but I'm going to try get some xx thanks cookie xx

• Posted

I find walking so uncomfortable but today I did get so tryed a walk and was fine for a bit then wham everything dropped further so home it was ji get lots spasms in bieel as have IBS to so I suppose that complicates things to xxx
    • Posted

Hi Weesue, have you had a pessary fitted? I couldn't have gone anywhere without mine, but in saying that near the end it did start slipping and despite it I got very sore but that wasnt all the time and all in all it was a great help

?Its nice to hear you are from Scotland my ancestors came out to NZ way way back from Troon in Scotland I'm told

• Posted

I just re read your earlier posts and have figured out you wont have a pessary as yet, sorry love. I can imagine how very uncomfortable you must be. xxxx  
    • Posted

havent been offered any help yet all the doctor has done is send me physio pelvic  and given me some vaginal pessary that i put in to stop dryness but havent been offered anything yet but soon be finished the course she gave me which have done nothing . go back next week or after but next friday is first physio i havent had any one else look at it yet but if gets worse she is going to have to do something as im in pain most days when it drops could also be that i have ibs and osteoporosis that is making it worse . was feeling sorry for myself but have started some pelvix floor exersices before i even go to physio hoping it  helps but nope walk and then it drops and the feeling is quite bad then sets of my back pain its a catch 22 at the moment awaiting an appointment to see if the prolapse is in my urinary track to . not to sure where troon is but im near dundee and st andrews  love it here moved out of dundee last year or so x
    • Posted

Hi Weesue, The pessary is shaped like a donut its not a cream. Type in

?pessary. I was really surprised when I looked on line recently to see that you can buy them on line yourself. Personally I wouldn't buy from the internet, especially as they are all different sizes and you need to have one fitted by a doctor or nurse. I also experienced back pain and pain in my side for a several months before my op as even with the pessary which had done a great job for years started to fail. Its really bad that you are not been helped immediately its horrible that you are having to go thru all of this chicky. Sorry to take so long to reply as we just celebrated my sons 21st birthday so havent been on the computer.

• Posted

Hi Robyn Im on the Kapiti Coast been here 5 years before that I was in the Hutt Valley born in Wellington.  Nice to know that another Kiwi lady has discovered this wonderful forum

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.