Just diagnosed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself, as I've been reading through the forum and gained a lot of insight from it so far.

I was finally diagnosed with mono last week, after a nightmarish month of labs and diabolical symptoms that didn't seem to make sense. But my PP has now confirmed Epstein Barr - and in my case, the second time I've had it (the first was when I was a teenager, and it was nowhere near this awful).

I'm past the acute sore throat and fever, but to be honest that was a breeze compared to the joint pain, muscle pain, lack of appetite, and my GOD the anxiety. I've never experienced anything like it, and I have to say that it did a lot for my sanity to find this forum and discover that this is prevalent amongst lots of people battling this illness. I honestly thought I was losing my mind. I told my PP last week that I was convinced I was dying and that I wouldn't get to watch my little girl grow up.

Since the diagnosis I've been able to manage the anxiety a little better - I know what it's stemming from now. But I have to say, the pain and the shaking are REALLY freaking me out. The shakes aren't too bad at night, but there's always this low-level 'hum' in my muscles, especially my hands. I also get muscle twitches out of nowhere, and have a hard time convincing myself that these things aren't just a bigger problem hiding away beneath the mono (the paranoia isn't very pleasant either).

Has anyone else had the dreadful shakes? I had pins and needles in my hands at the very start, but that went away. Now it feels like my nervous system is just shot. I've asked my PP if I should maybe see a neurologist for peace of mind.

Thanks for listening - hoping for a speedy recovery for everyone living with this hideous illness.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

I also have active EBV again. I had "mono" 16 years ago in college. This time has been completely different. I did see a neurologist because I was convinced at one point that I had MS or ALS because of the muscle twitching and pins and needles and general attack on my nervous system. I also could not handle stress well-if I would get anxious, my body would literally start to shake like I was shivering. Luckily, many of those symptoms have subsided or become less intense, but I can tell it's either still slightly active or my body is experiencing post viral fatigue because I definitely do not feel 100%.

Like you I saw many doctors and went many months without a diagnosis. Finally, a Rheumatologist thought to check for it.

• Posted

Hi Olivia,

Isn't it awful? I think for me the neuro symptoms are even worse than the body/joint aches, although those aren't a party either. Like you I've had those 'oh God I must have MS' moments, and the panic is almost unbearable, it just shuts you down. But I have to say, finding so many people on here experiencing similar things has been a great relief. I just don't understand how there isn't more common awareness of just how destructive and persistent EBV can be - what a nightmare!

I hope your symptoms and fatigue clear up soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.