Just diagnosed Acute diverticulitis with bleeding I

Posted , 6 users are following.

What two antibiotics have you all taking for Acute diverticulitis with bleeding I had a Ct scan today with dye and showed I had Acute diverticulitis with bleeding after been up all night in non stop pain and bloody mucos discharge also there was blood in the actual bowel too plus the bloody mucos discharge . I'm scared I hope someone answers soon Thanks

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Flagal and Cipro. Did they tell you to go on brothy, jello, banana type diet for a few days? Also add probiotic at least 30 milllion and when your stomach settles down add every day fiber to your diet and also watch your trigger foods. Everyone seems to have different ones. Mine is anything with orange grease such as pizza, spagetti, chili ect.. also things like pickled okra. I slip up sometimes and then pay for it dearly. It it some horrid pain. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

No they didn't I was at ER all day getting all those test I was given Flagy and Levaquin has anyone ever taken Levaquin? Does anyone else get the bloody discharge? There was also blood in stool when they checked with that stick things . I had to drink a huge cup of mix for the dye . Can I drink the probiotic while on antibiotics? Can you still take your vitamin while on the antibiotics? I just took my vitamin 4 hours after taking my first set of antibiotics today. I really appreciate the help on diet.

• Posted

My sister takes the Levaquin. I would go ahead and start on the probiotics.. get the really good ones. I dont know why the vitiamins would be a problem but that I dont really know about for sure. I have not had the blood but some do. I have the mucus and stomach that feels discended and hard. I am currently on a flare and have had since Friday. On antibiotics now and finally tonight it is finally settling down. I overate a lot on Tuesday and then by Wed night I was in pain and off to the doc Friday morning. My sisters triggers are jelly beans and things like that and dark chocolate.. Maybe keep a food journal and see what you see in about 24 hours gives you problems. It is not a fun disease to have and wish there was more research and treatment for this nasty disease.
    • Posted

Also if you have more than a couple a year docs are ready to do major surgery.
    • Posted

Sam what are the good probiotics ? Does anyone here have the blood mucos discharge or blood in stool ?
    • Posted

I can't mention names on this site because it will get flagged. Check online and research and compare different ones. Just make sure it is at least 30 billion micros. I think I put million down before. Those are usually more expensive. Don't get the off brand cheap stuff. Are you in U. S or U.K? Someone on this board for sure has the blood in stool. Have you had problems with stomach before? If I am really careful with diet I do not deal with it but sometimes I get careless... like forgetting fiber for several days and probiotics and eat crap and I will get a flare. I have a friend who has Crohns and she has blood in her stool. Also keep softener on hand if you find yourself getting constipated. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

I'm in the US (Kentucky) had gallbladder removed years ago. Sam when's last time you was on the antibiotics? To keep my strength up and to have something on my stomach with the Flagy can I have some creamy peanut butter ?

• Posted

Yes I have bloody mucus when going to loo.have been on antibiotics for week now.never constipated quite loose. No pain feel very low.
  • Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear you have this nasty disease like the rest of us.  I've read these comments and they seem to cover things pretty comprehensively.  I am one of the people who also had bleeding with my first flare, and it scared me rigid.  It means simply that your insides are inflamed and infected.  Once your antibiotics kick in your insides will start to heal up and the bleeding stop.  As for the pain, I was also prescribed an anti spasmodic to help stop the swamping pains, and a pain killer.  I also used a hot water bottle on my tummy.  Some people are lucky and the pain eases up after a week or so - I really hope this is you.  For others of us, I'm afraid it can take a lot longer for the pain to go - in my case it was over 4 months, and I used advice from this site to help myself.

I am in the UK so things are treated very differently here.  For a start we have different named drugs, so you would have to see what is reommended for you.  My fluid only diet consist of chicken/beef broth, clear apple juice and herbal tea.  As the symptoms die down, I introduce things like yogurt and meal replacement drinks but absolutely NO fibre at first.  When I start to reintroduce fibre slowly I do it in the form of blended soup, vegetable puree, mash, steamed fish. 

I suggest you keep a food diary to see what foods are your triggers.  Mine are gluten and full fat, but for others it is nuts, seeds, pips, popcorn, dairy, red meat - we are all different.  I would be wary of peanut butter - even the smooth variety - but if you do try it and it hurts, then at least you'll know.

You will find others on this site recommend you start taking the natural fibre supplement psyllium husk, made from plant seed (Metamucil), twice daily in a large tumbler of water.  It is a stool thickener, softener and mild laxative.  Opinions vary, but it certainly helps regulate and clear out my bowels.  If you think about it, the way to heal is to keep things clean, and this does the job internally for you.  No nasty bits lingering inside you means less chance of infection and inflammation developing!  I also take pure aloe vera juice, a teaspoon morning and night.  This is a natural aid to digestion and healing.  All I can say is that withing a few days of starting it, my pain started to ease, and I have now been pain free for almost a month.

For me now, I eat healthy, small, low fat, gluten free meals with lots of veggies and fruit, so high in good soluble fibre.  I drink a lot more water, and am finally able to resume my exercise routine.  I have to be careful when I eat out and I do have slip ups - it is a lifestyle change.  All the best.

• Posted

Janet covers this perfectly. It all comes down to diet, exercise, and no stress. Keep the psyllium husk regular and it will cleanse the colon and keep all the waste out.

Thank you Janet for your input.

• Posted

Is that psyllium husk a capsule or liquid? Do u take it every single day? What'd the difference in diverticulitis and diverticulosos ? I stop my Levaqin started getting joint pain even in face pharmacy said talk to my doctor and I see her tomorrow so I'm just still on the Flagy and man does that pill taste nasty !

• Posted

Crosado I take the psyllium husk powder every day and mix 2 teaspoons with 12 ounces of water once in morning and once before bed. Yes I have been doing this six years straight without any flare ups. Folks on this site need to understand when you clean out your colon your basically stopping this nasty disease in its tracks. Only downside is your going to have bowel movements 4 to 6 times per day. The question I have for you if you had to choose between a divertic flare up and going more often everyday what would you choose?
    • Posted

Hi

As I understand it, it comes in the form of a capsule or a powder that you mix with 12 oz water and drink quickly. I personally have always had the powder, ever since I was diagnosed 15 years ago.  I've recently upped the dose from once to twice a day.

I was given a pretty useless leaflet by the hospital, but one thing it did say was that diverticulosis is the condition of having little pockets called diverticula in the colon.  It can be totally symptom free.  Diverticulitis is when the pockets become inflamed and infected.  In fact anything ending in "itis" means inflamed/infected.  Think of appendicitis or tonsilitis.

• Posted

Felicia , did you have a Diverticulitis or the other one ? What combo meds did you take if you took any?
    • Posted

Hi

I actually have Diverticular Disease which I will have for life.  That is a combination of Diverticulosis, the multiple pouches in the colon wall, and an abnormal thickening, narrowing, distortion and additional bends in the actual colon.  I have not actually come across anyone mentioning the thickening and distortion aspect in this forum, but it is why I can't have a sigmoidoscopy, let alone a colonoscopy.  Instead I have had a barium enema and CT Colonography.

When I have a flare up that is Diverticulitis, where I get the pain, bloating, fever etc - all the usual symptoms.  Fortunately I have only had 4 flares, or bouts of Diverticulitis in 15 years.  I am in the UK and I was prescribed a 7 day combination course of 250mg Cefalexin 4 times a day and 400mg Metronidazole 3 times a day.  In addition I am prescribed Fybogel sachets.  I think these medications differ from those prescribed in the USA, but Fybogel is known as Metamucil.  Gigi has somewhere posted the difference.  The UK courses seem to be shorter than those prescribed in the USA, and I have twice had to have a 2nd course when the Divierticulitis did not clear up after the 1st course.  Hope this clarifies things for you.

• Posted

How do the do a Ct Colonography ? Is that what I had done a Ct scan w/dye? Did you ever experience bloody mucos discharge with bowel movement ? Thanks for helping me understand this!
    • Posted

Hi

I think so.  I had to have my system emptied, then I had two different lots of stuff injected in, then I had my colon blown up with gas and sealed.  I looked like a stuffed sausage.  Then they took 4 pictures just like having an X-Ray, two on my back and two on my tummy.  Then they released the pressure and I had loud anti-social tendencies for a few hours!!! lol

Yes I did have bloody mucus discharge during my first flare - I think it is quite common.  If you think about an external infection, that often bleeds and weeps as well, so internally is no different.  Even after the bleeding stops it is quite common to have mucus in your stools with this disease.  I think I read somewhere of the medical reason for this, something to do with easing the passage of the stool, but perhaps Gigi can give an accurate answer.  Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.