Just diagnosed Acute diverticulitis with bleeding I

Posted , 6 users are following.

What two antibiotics have you all taking for Acute diverticulitis with bleeding I had a Ct scan today with dye and showed I had Acute diverticulitis with bleeding after been up all night in non stop pain and bloody mucos discharge also there was blood in the actual bowel too plus the bloody mucos discharge . I'm scared I hope someone answers soon Thanks

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My first attack occurred three years ago with lots of blood.  At the time I was not prescribed anything because  my GP did not know what it was.  Six weeks later a colonoscopy discovered a couple of benign polyps and diverticulosis.  Since then I have had many attacks but only one other with a little blood.  I am now prescribed Flagl and Cipro which give me horrible side effects but do the job of clearing it up for a while.  Next time I am going to ask if there are any other drugs to treat it, l am allergic to penicillin.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn

Yes the side effects of the drugs are pretty grim, both in the USA or UK.  I take Cefalexin and Metronidazole, but I don't know if they are the same as yours, just different names for them in the UK.  I also have Mebeverine for the spasms.  Are you on any preventative measures to minimise the risk of future attacks, once you have finished the antibiotics?  By that I mean diet, stool thickeners/softeners, laxatives, natural supplements.  I find the ones I take have helped me a lot.  In fact the stool thickener/softener/laxative is actually prescribed monthly for me by my doctor.  Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Feliinia, I am in the UK, I will have to look up Cefalexin and Mebeverine but as you know I am on Metronidazole and Cipro.  I think that it is the Metronidazole that makes me feel ill, very dizzy and nauseous.  I am trying to be careful with my diet this time, even excluding peas from my diet, sob!  I have just started to take fiber twice a day to see if it helps, however it would be very expensive to take it long term.  I also think that lifting and bending does not help if you have diverticulosis so I am trying to avoid that to but it is difficult to put into practice in everyday life.  what is it that your doctor prescribes as a stool thickener etc?  
    • Posted

No I was told nothing about stool softeners I do see a gastro doctor this Thursday I'll. See what they share . I wonder if I can just take the Flagy by itself the two together keeps me in bathroom with cramps and runs so tire up for two days and night little yo no sleep so tired and can't rest what can I do they say I can't have any medication or mouth wash with alcohol in it . Can you take admondium AD for dirreah while on antibiotics what helps you rest with the cramps and bathroom runs ?

• Posted

Please let us know the outcome of your gastro appt.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn

I am also UK so I looked to see if Cefalexin was the same as Cipro but couldn't find out.  I too found one or other of them made me feel generally unwell but put up with it for the 5 day course.  Once I'd finished the course the side effects wore off for me.  As you are in the UK you can get Fybogel (soluble fibre supplement, stool bulker/thickener and mild laxative) on the net.  The basic ingredient is psyllium husk, derived from the seeds of a plant.  I got 120 sachets for £17.76 - a 2 month supply.  However my GP prescribed it for me and now I am 66 I get it free.  I found certain movements like bending, lifting and driving were painful, so learned to move cautiously.  Hope this helps and gets past the moderator.

• Posted

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to these questions - something to ask your doctor.  If you are USA based the products are called different names than here in the UK.  Unfortunately all medications can have side effects and sometimes they clash with each other.  Hope you get some answers.

• Posted

I am too Lyn allergic to penicillin! I'm on Flagy and Levaquin but think I'm stopping the Levaquin because of the lawsuit about it causing hemorrhage of the Heart and aurissiums . The last two days I had this horrible deep pain cramp ache below the belly button right in the middle of the lower stomach middle under navel and also toward left for two days now thus the Ct scan showing acute diverticulitis with colon bleeding . Do you guys get that pain during acute attack throughout the day and night?

• Posted

Thanks for that Felinia, I am 63 so next time I go to my GP I will ask if he can prescribe it for me too and see if it helps.
    • Posted

I sure will, I need to write down all the questions I need ask so I don't forget

• Posted

Yes.. that would be a good idea. We can help each other with what works and what doesnt. I am going to look for some clinical research trials  and will share on this site if I am enlighted along the way with some new info. No one seems to really know how to deal with this problem. My former father in law would take a couple of table spoons of mineral oil a day to help his intestines..  BTW.. my sister does not do the clear liquids when she gets flare just does the Cipro and Flagel and does the laxatives and she gets the same results as I do. I am not that brave.
    • Posted

Hi Felicia, I think that Cipro and Cefalexin are different drugs.
    • Posted

Cipro is a quinolone and cephalexin is "Keflex", a cephalosporin and distant cousin to penicillin.

• Posted

Lyn get on the psyllium husk ASAP. Take it twice per day and chug down fast with 12 ounces of water. Once you start to speed up the processing in your colon you willl experience no more flare ups from divertic. I'm telling you this stuff stops it immediately and you will become a believer just like Janet.

God bless.

• Posted

Absolutely agree with this. The only time I have problems is when I forget a day or two and eat something I shouldnt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.