Just diagnosed and prescribed Alendronic Acid which I am not willing to take

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with beginning of osteoporosis in my back and osteopenia in my hip. It was a real blow, I am very healthy and exercise regularly, I do not smoke nor drink and eat a good diet. I have had low vitamin D levels for years. I am now addressing this. I do not want to take this medication and I would like to go the supplementation route.  I have heard of a "natural progesterone cream", has anybody tried this? I am going to start a supplement containing vit D2, K2, C, calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, potassium, boron. Can anybody advise regarding the amount of K2 which one needs to take?confused

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm in a similar position to you.

My calcium levels are fine and Vit D levels were low normal - I'm happy to take supplementation, but not happy to take AA.

I wasn't aware of Vit K2 until today so I'm investigating myself.

It's all in my spine too - my T score was less than -2.5 so mine is osteoporosis - I'm just 41.

Good luck with your condition smile

• Posted

I have recently found out that, the normal range 50 - 250, an optimal level should be around 150. So if your blood test shows a value like 54, say, it is not good and you need to supplement despite what they tell you. Give the NOS a ring, I spoke to a nurse there and feel much happier about life now.

• Posted

The calcium supplement I take has a small amount of K2, but I'm also taking a separate K2 supplement which recommends 1 capsule per day, it's 100 mcg.  Go with what the manufacturer of the supplement says.  I've read that it is hard to overdose on K2, unlike some other vitamins, so you should be fine no matter what you decide.  We do, apparently, make a small amount of our own K2, something about converting K1 (found in leafy greens) to K2, but we aren't very efficient at it, hence the need for supplementation.  Japanese people who eat natto (the source for our supplement) ingest a huge amount of K2 and there are no reports of adverse effects.  Kind of like not getting poisoned by Vitamin D obtained from sun exposure.  the body handles it when it comes in naturally.  

• Posted

thank you, I have read that you should not take D3 and K2 together as they are both fat soluble and compete for absorption. So maybe it is better to take them at different meals, but the supplement I bought has them combined surprised. At the moment I am just overloading a bit with trying to digest all this information.
    • Posted

I hadn't heard that.  In fact I do take them at different meals, but that was more by accident than design.  How do we ever manage when nothing can be taken with anything else?  lolrolleyes

• Posted

Just googled this and it looks more like D and K work better together.  
    • Posted

I guess there are different opinions out there. But that is what the facebook vitamin D deficiency group claim in their files. There are supplements that put them together.
    • Posted

I did a quick google search and all I found was something about not taking them with some other medication, I forget what, but nothing about not taking them with each other.  When I have time I'll look further.  Anything like this on a Facebook page I'd tend to try and find the research backing it up.  Just because my life is inconvenient enough!

• Posted

If you google authority nutrition vitamin k2 you will find a great article on K2.
  • Posted

I use nutrizing 600 mcg . And have been for 18 months along with all the rest u mention and chromium piconilate beta carotene and k1 . I train every day about 2 hours weights i run hiits treadmill and rowing teach spinning and classes at the age if 55 with t scores 3.7 and 1.7 . Diagnosed 18 months niw and nothing would have got me taking AA . I can rotate 360° on a rig do hundreds of press ups and squat and readlift . Moral of this is eat well train well look after your body and say no to drugd and pharmaceutical companies profits

• Posted

Thank you. I have been quite active, although not as much as you. I have been doing spin, bodypump, pilates and yoga classes. From what you are saying there is no reason not to continue to do so.  I will add zinc and chromium. I also like vegetable juices so I am planning on having at least a couple a week.
    • Posted

When i 1st was diagnosed fortunately found this website . I began dialogue with a poster on here who no longer posts and he gave me some great advice . I have al the list of necessary minerals etc so studied which i was lacking in through diet or availability and have the list of requirements. Caffeine was mentioned as detrimental to bone density seeping aprox 6mg per 150mg of calcium to bone . Being a caffeine freak through coffee i stopped immediately and purchased teeccino herbal coffee its really nice but a bit expensive but hey its for me . I have just read that the findings are not quite true (forever learning ) so i now add a third coffee to my hebal one which is quite pleasing. I spend hours reading up on it so learning all the time . I have been offered another dexa by the hospital after 2 instead of 3 years as they want to monitor how and if my supplements actually help towards my t score will be in august this year. Aristotle was the posters name i owe him a debt of gratitude such a shame he no longer posts . This forum seems a good way of people learning from each other . Just one other thing my mum was diagnosed with osteoporosis a few months before me and actually started on AA obviously i spoke with her on my findings and she had already taken 3 tablets 70mg . Alarmingly she is on steroids for lupus and another illness and its recommend that you dont take AA with steroids . Imo only they throw drugs at every problem. My mum stopped immediately her decision. Shes still quite fit god bless her .
    • Posted

I know what you mean, places like this are great and really helpful when you have been hit by a scary diagnosis like this. I too am seriously into coffee but since I got diagnosed I have only one in the morning with the idea of stopping, even though I think you can drink coffee in moderation. I am reading a lot too, and my work is suffering but I was diagnosed only this week and I have a compulsion at the moment. I am into vitamin D because I know I have been deficient for a number of years and I did not know how important it was. Those posts you are talking about, are they still on this site? My mother was offered Boniva for osteopenia, they did not even tell her about the dental issues and she has some tooth that has been troubling her and a few other dental issues that really should have been addressed before taking a ibsphosphonate. They dish them out like candies.  She has not started, her bones are in better shape than mine, she has never broken a bone. I think with some supplements she can live happily until the rest of her days. smile
    • Posted

Scot, they do recommend AA for people on steroids.  If you get prescribed prednisone for polymyalgia (PMR) you are also offered alendronic acid, usually without even a DXA scan, often without even checking if calcium and Vitamin D levels are good (although those supplements are also prescribed as a matter of course) which I think is shocking.  This is because the steroid interferes with calcium metabolism and the bones are at some risk of losing density.  This can, as you know, be counteracted through exercise and nutrition including a few supplements.  Glad you r mother is still doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.