Just diagnosed and prescribed Alendronic Acid which I am not willing to take

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with beginning of osteoporosis in my back and osteopenia in my hip. It was a real blow, I am very healthy and exercise regularly, I do not smoke nor drink and eat a good diet. I have had low vitamin D levels for years. I am now addressing this. I do not want to take this medication and I would like to go the supplementation route.  I have heard of a "natural progesterone cream", has anybody tried this? I am going to start a supplement containing vit D2, K2, C, calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, potassium, boron. Can anybody advise regarding the amount of K2 which one needs to take?confused

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I read that the best source of vitamin K2 is Natto and that just eating it once a week would give you enough for what you need. Well, believe it or not, I have gone and found Natto in a Japanese shop not too far from where I live. It is very cheap. It has been in the fridge for a couple of days. From what I have read I am scared to try it, but I know I must conquer this. eek
    • Posted

A friend of mine has a son who went to Japan where he has since married a Japanese woman and has a child.  He likes natto, although his wife doesn't!  

Please let us know your verdict!

• Posted

I did it! I had some and I think it can be done for the good cause of bone health. I tried not to look at it much as its looks are worse than its taste. It is the mature blue cheese of beans, that is the best way I can describe it. I had it with spring onions, and the sauces that come with it. There were 4 portions in the pack, so 3 more to go. I will try and find out what else I can mix with it to make it more palatable. Who knows, it might grow on me. Would I recommend it to a friend? Yes 
    • Posted

Brilliant! Perhaps I should try harder to find it here.  I have to confess I haven't tried....  But it sounds like it is at least halfway palatable with the tasty additions so worth a shot.  I suppose as it is so rich in the K2 you wouldn't need to eat it all that often?.  

• Posted

I read somewhere that you only need to have Natto once a week as it is very rich in K2. 
  • Posted

hi.i to have osteoporosis. ive had 3 broken wrists, broken ankle broke my pelvis, i have been asked to take Aledronic acid but have refused many times, and do you know it takes at least 2 years before it actually starts to do anything , so what s the point, a lady i no who was taking it ended up with a jaw complaint, she is suing the nhs. i am looking into taking HRT but am very wiery because of heart conditions in my family.i am 57 years old, i just want to be able to play with my grandkids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.