Just diagnosed with a 3 cm kidney stone and need advice

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a bad kidney infection and a x ray showed a large kidney stone i have had a ct scan and doctor says it fills most of my kidney and is roughly 3 cm maybe bigger they are talking about key hole surgery to remove it but i have to have a kidney function test im worried it has damaged my kidney i have alot of blood in my urine wondered if anyone had any advice or information on what i can expect and what the liklyhood of it is that it has caused dammage please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Blood in your urine is not great.

Atleast you are under investigation.

Try not to worry and have a good Christmas nad New Year.

Keep in touch

Thinking of you

Love Sasrah xxx

• Posted

Blood in your urine just indicates there's a stone there; it doesn't necessarily indicate anything directly to your kidney function. However, that's a really big stone and the doctor is just being thorough by checking your function. It would be irresponsible not to check that as a doctor. The likelihood that this stone has caused permanent damage depends on how long you've had it. Everyone is different with how long it takes to develop stones. I developed a 1 cm stone within a month, so it is possible you developed it quickly. It takes months and months of leaving a stone untreated and causing problems to have permanent damage. I'd try to think about how long you've been experiencing symptoms and that could be a good indication. Also, know that even if you do have loss of function or need to remove any of it or anything, people can function fine with one kidney. Some people are even born with one. So not ideal but not earth-shattering. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you i have thought hard about how long and i have had symtoms for 2 years i went 2 years ago with needing to urinate more and pain but i have ibs and a b12 deficiancy so i put most my symptims down to that i had a scan on my bladder and was told it was just overactive but the doctors have been good and had a ct scan and urologist within a month of it being found so fingers crossed it will be fine i just dont like knowing
    • Posted

I had the same, 2 years with lots of pain...The surgeon did PCNL surgery, and removed the 2 cm stone from my right kidney in last August...... and I have IBS as well. if you could see my previous comments on this site, it may help you. All the best, and I bhope, you are kidney stone free now! :D

• Posted

So i have had all my scans my kidney is still working yay the doctors have been very good and they will be booking me in for surgery in the next few weeks they discovered my stone is 7 cm i may have to have 2 surgerys but all is looking good
    • Posted

Good news. Hope you continue to do OK.

I have a scan on Wednesdasy and hopefully after that I will see the consultant and he will take my kidney stone out.

Good riddance to it is all I can say!!

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Good to hear you still have normal function! That is a huge stone, but at least you're getting it taken care of. Good luck to you!

• Posted

No it is cm not mm it fills 5 of the 7 compartments im having surgery to remove it and cos of its size it may take 2 or 3 opperations i have a pic of my cr scan but cant upload it
    • Posted

Thank u the hospital have been so good cant fault them and finaly get it sorted soon
  • Posted

Just updating people i have had 3 surgerys and my kidney stone was bigger than they thought it was over 8cm i have had 3 lots of key hole surgery and also 3 lots of sepsis to go with each one i still jave fragments and my stone is now down to 1 cm they think and some other small pieces i have to have another ct scan and hopefully only one more surgery
    • Posted

Let's hope one more surgery does it and you're ok after! Good luck and thanks for the update.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.