Just Diagnosed with a - 4.1 Left Femoral Neck T-score

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello All,

I've just been diagnosed with osteoporosis due to a -4.1 t-score of the left femoral neck.  I am horrified.  My lumbar spine (-2.4) and left hip (-2.3) are not quite there, but not good either.  10 years ago I was diagnosed as having osteopenia, but I was never given the scores or any other information, so I didn't pay much attention to it.  I thought I wouldn't have to worry about actual OP for many years...I am 49.

I'm pretty sure that my diet and lack of exercise have played a huge part in all of this, as has my extremely high stress levels over the past two years.  I have been taking D3 (2000mg) for years, although not religiously except for the past year.  I am starting on calcium, K2 and magnesium today, and ramping up my exercise to every single day.

I have an appointment with my doctor on April 10th.  I'm sure she'll be recommending medication, but like so many of you on here, I'd really like to go the natural route first to see if that improves my scores.  

I guess my question is...is that even realistic?  I am terrified of all of the options.  I've read many of the posts here, and am really thankful to have found this forum.  I'm mainly here for moral support, because I feel like this has knocked me down.  

Thanks so much -

Janice

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your upset on the diagnosis but there is much you can do to better your scores. This website is most informative so I recommend studying all of the various comments and feedback. Do not lose hope! 
  • Posted

Hi Janice I know how you feel I was devastated when diagnosed 2 months ago. I started on adcal and once a week alendronic acid. I then had really bad bone pain with the acid and diarrhea with the adcal. There is lots of research saying they don't work. Now I am going down the natural and supplement route. The pain in my bones is only just starting to ease. I have now changed my diet to full fat and lots of veg. There is some research that says to hold off the calcium for 2/3 months to build up the magnesium first

Good luck with it.

• Posted

Or get some magnesium at a different time of day from when you take your calcium.  Take a supplement, or soak in an Epsom salts bath, or find one of those sprays now available, magnesium can be absorbed through the skin.  Don't take more than about 400 mg calcium at one time, so if you've been taking more, split the dose.  On the other hand, cutting back calcium may not hurt if there is still plenty in your diet.

• Posted

Thanks to you both for responding.  That is one thing that I've learned on the forum so far, is that many do try the natural/supplement path, either first or after trying one of the prescription meds first.  

I am interested to know how long before you have to get another bone density test?  I'd think at least a year.  But...that seems like a long time to go if you're not doing any good and your #'s are getting worse.

I have so much to learn.  But, I think the light at the end of the tunnel is that I needed a kick in the pants to get in shape and eat healthier.  This will certainly do it.

I really appreciate the feedback and support!

• Posted

I am told my next dexa is 2 years. I live on Lincolnshire England.

• Posted

Since my diagnosis of osteopenia 6 years ago and  then osteoporosis more than 4 years ago, my insurance has approved bone density ever year ordered by my Endocronologist. I have 6 years of data. The numbers got better after I switched from Fosamax to Evista but not before I fractured my lumbar. I had posterior inter body fusion at L4/5 more than two years ago. I waited to have fusion surgery until numbers improved on Evista but bone density 2 years later had worsened again. My endronologist recommended Forteo or Tymlos. That was last fall.  At that time, I declined all meds and have rigorously pursued natural route the last 5 months. All my pain has decreased significantly. 

Check with your insurance company about testing every year rather than typical every two years. 

• Posted

Two yrs is good for the NHS.  I was originally told 5 yrs according to my GP who made me have Alendronic acid.  

It was only when I saw a NHS Consultant after stopping the Alendronic acid and buying Strontium citrate from the Internet, that it was agreed I could have Strontium Ranelate which I had requested in the first place. Also a ‘one off’ repeat scan after taking it for 2 yrs, to see whether there was anyimprovement.. Her reason was that she didn’t like me relying  on unregulated internet drugs/supplements, which didn’t necessarily contain what the label stated.

When I went back to my GP, she was put out that the Consultant had over ruled her, but grudgingly set up a repeat prescription for SR.  The only other occasion I saw  my GP, was for the results of my repeat scan.  She was happy to tell me that I wouldn’t be allowed any further scans while I was on SR, due to the scan error that Strontium can produce, ie up to 50%.  Even allowing for that I still had an improvement thank goodness.  I’ve been on it since 2011 without problems, except that it’s nolonger being made,  so I will need to find an alternative when my supple runs out.

• Posted

Help!    Any hints please for using an iPad to make comments?  I’m having difficulty scrolling up and down to check/ amend what I have written. Hence the errors.    It either goes to the start or the end, but I cannot scroll it slow enough to find the part in the middle. 

Even when I try to alter something, at the beginning or end, it immediately shoots it out of the set box and I have trouble finding it.  

• Posted

It takes a long time for bones to change, hence at least a one year wait.  I personally think a one year gap would be ideal, but in my case after the second one after one year (which they tried to cancel on me) I have to wait three to five years until the next one, but this may be because I had shown improvement between the first two (natural means only, no OP drugs). 
    • Posted

IT is every 3 years where I am in the UK. I had one done after 2 but only because my score was so bad and my lifestyle and diet were so good. I was told a dexa done in less than 2 years would not show significant improvement to be worthwhile. However, I am considering one done privately in a few months 
  • Posted

Hi, I am also taking supplements, the same ones a you, plus a little extra calcium tablet with D3 combined in the tablet.  I, like yourself, don't know if it will work, it depends on so many things, there are different causes for this condition, if your body is not digesting the supplements and the supplements you are taking are not going to the right places in your body then they won't benefit you, but as far as I am aware that is the only reason they won't do you any good.  I used to run every day but I can't now it hurts my feet and knees, I used to go to the gym but now don't have the time, I hope the work I do is enough to exercise, that is all I can do..... and hope.

• Posted

Thanks, Ruby.  I'm trying to figure out the right dosages now.  I don't want to take too much Calcium for fear of kidney stones.

• Posted

Make time to exercise Ruby. Nothing is as important as your health.
  • Posted

Try not to worry too much as that probably would be counter productive. Nothing will happen over night either way so try the natural route first. Look at your diet and make it as good as you possibly can. Yoghurt once a day is a good idea. Have fruit and vegetables especially leafy greens, avocados, prunes, etc. Make stews and soups from bones with heaps of veggies in them. 

Vitamin K2 is probably the best vitamin to take as it puts the calcium onto the bones.

people who have been diagnosed with osteoporosis have often found to be lacking magnesium so it is important to check your diet that you are getting all the nutrients that you need for your bones.

Walking is enough for your exercise if that is all you can manage as it is weight bearing. Building up muscles to support your bones is also a good idea if you are able to do that.

Your doctor may understand your stance as many are now refusing the drugs. My GP said half her patients have refused to take them for osteoporosis.

The decision is yours. Do some research to help you decide.

Many good people on here to support and offer their findings from research.

All the best,

• Posted

Also, your calcium and vitamin D3 levels etc can be checked in your blood tests so you can take only what is required. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much, Kathleen, for your response!  I'm definitely going to refuse the drugs until my next scan at the very least.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.