Just Diagnosed with a - 4.1 Left Femoral Neck T-score

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello All,

I've just been diagnosed with osteoporosis due to a -4.1 t-score of the left femoral neck.  I am horrified.  My lumbar spine (-2.4) and left hip (-2.3) are not quite there, but not good either.  10 years ago I was diagnosed as having osteopenia, but I was never given the scores or any other information, so I didn't pay much attention to it.  I thought I wouldn't have to worry about actual OP for many years...I am 49.

I'm pretty sure that my diet and lack of exercise have played a huge part in all of this, as has my extremely high stress levels over the past two years.  I have been taking D3 (2000mg) for years, although not religiously except for the past year.  I am starting on calcium, K2 and magnesium today, and ramping up my exercise to every single day.

I have an appointment with my doctor on April 10th.  I'm sure she'll be recommending medication, but like so many of you on here, I'd really like to go the natural route first to see if that improves my scores.  

I guess my question is...is that even realistic?  I am terrified of all of the options.  I've read many of the posts here, and am really thankful to have found this forum.  I'm mainly here for moral support, because I feel like this has knocked me down.  

Thanks so much -

Janice

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Janice     Welcome to the Forum. 

Just to add to the other comments.Even if you don’t want to try conventional OP treatment, you can help your scores in other ways.

You mention your diet. Look at it critically. Are you getting enough good nutrients, do you eat Ca containing foods?   I eat St. Helens Farm Goat yogurt daily as it contains 360mg of Ca per 150g portion. I get mine from Sainsbury’s but other large stores probably sell it. It’s delicious with fresh seasonal fruit, as a topping in homemade soups, or as a custard substitute.

Adequate quality protein is essential and can be balanced with a mix of veg.  The bone framework or matrix is made of the protein collagen and this is what gives bone it’s strength and flexibility, so important should you fall. Protein Is needed for the continued maintenance of the framework as well as for muscle strength, which again helps balance and stopping falls.

Although you have been taking Vit D3,  get your blood level checked and ask for the actual value, for future comparison.  I try to keep mine between about 150 and 170nmol/L. This is an optimal level and not only helps bones,  but other important bodily functions, including the immune system. I don’t get colds or other seasonal infections now. 

Dont get too depressed about it, but use it as a warning, that you can act upon and prevent fractures. Keep an open mind about treatment at this stage. It does help some folk. 

Good luck.

• Posted

Just read to your post to Janice. It is very supportive, helpful and unbiaed. I think you have helped many of us with your comments. Thanks
  • Posted

http://blogs.creighton.edu/heaney/2014/07/25/the-paradox-of-osteoporosis-irreversibility-2

The above link explains all about the importance of protein and is worth reading.

Regards

• Posted

Many, many thanks, Lynne!  I have been lax about my diet for some time now, all the while knowing I needed to improve it.  I think that's what has me so upset is knowing that I probably did this to myself.  So, I'm using this as the impetus I need to get my act together, and hope that it not only will result in stronger bones, but also some weight loss.  Win/win, right?  I'm sitting here eating oatmeal with no sugar, and I'm not dying, so I'm on the right path!  I'll check out the link now.  Thanks again!

• Posted

The link doesn’t open immediately. Tap on search without typing anything in and his blog opens. Look down the right hand side under Recent Posts and the Paradox of OP irreversibility is there. It opens when you click on it.

He was also an expert on vit D. 

• Posted

We have cooked porridge with water every morning. I add milk to mine but my husband cannot have dairy. It is low in calories and is very good for you. At least once a week we have free range eggs too.

If something has no nutritional value we do not have it any more.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen.  Has your husband tried goat dairy as it’s easier to digest and tastes the same.  I buy full fat dairy now including Kerry Gold butter.  Apart from having more taste, we need fat as it’s an excellent energy source, much healthy than sugar, as long as you avoid man made trans fats.  

I didn’t realise until I started looking at food assays, that so call healthy, olive oil type spreads/margarines actually contain higher amounts of trans fats then butter,

• Posted

Thanks Lynne but, unfortunately, he can not tolerate goat milk either. He also now cannot have oranges and apples. 

I have butter but sparingly, one teaspoon at a time. I do have cheese and milk as well. I love my dairy. Yoghurt is especially valuable in the diet.

I choose 25% reduced fat exceot for yoghurt as I love the Greek strawberry one. I am in Australia and and 70 k from a big city so lots of nice produce here.

Fruit and vegetables are particularly important

• Posted

Fruit youghuts are usually full of sugar and not suitable for diabetics or prople with OP. Try to purée you own fruit and add to a natural or greek low fat yoghurt. Better for us all

• Posted

these oils you mention, including corn oil, do not contain trans fats and the ones that do are very low. However, when heated, changes take place in some of them. Therefore, eating olive oil over salads is very beneficial, but cooking with it less so. Butter does not change. Commercial products that use margarine as an ingredient are often high in fats because they are subjected to a high temperature when cooked. But olive spreads are lower than butter if you just want something to put on your toast. Hope that helps
    • Posted

Also, I do not have any sugar, except for real fruit which is super important. 

I aim for a balanced diet that includes all nutrients.

• Posted

Hi Alison.  Yes I agree the oils don’t contain trans fats,  

When I was looking on the McCance  and Widdowson’s The Composition of foods integrate data set, a few years and  making lists,   Their chart showed that   Bertolli olive oil  marg contains 5.9% of trans fats, against 2.8%  in butter. 

I was surprised that butter contained any.  They didn’t state a particular brand of butter, but in general seem to test a certain number to get statistically relevant information.

It’s  not an easy  web site to use, probably because it’s used by the food standards agency / manufacturers and not designed for OAP’s like me, with very limited computer skills, looking for free information. I found it purely by chance.  

I think its wrong that food manufacturers don’t state the trans fat content of their products when applicable.

Best wishes

• Posted

I agree lynne. It is often difficuilt. I have always watched my intake of fats and sugars, long before I was diagnose with OP. I had great sucess getting my father off all his diabetic meds purley by removing the food in his supermarket trolley that contained the hidden sugars. Diet is so important but it is easy to be confused and I expect its the same for many other conditions

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.