Just diagnosed with overactive thyroid!

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi All

I have just recently been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, apparently a womens thyroid level should be around 16 mine was 47! I have been prescribed carbimazole 40mg a day and propranolol 80mg a day. I just wanted some other sufferers thoughts on how to cope with this and the break up of a three year relationship. Its hard enough with the symptoms of an overactivve thyroid but with this addedd upset it is really hard. My partner and I broke up in July about 4 weeks before being diagnosed due to us arguing all the time, for no real apparent reason, which of course I realised was probably due to my illness although not aware at the time. He wont meet up with me to discuss anything.

Life is pretty miserable at the moment!

Annabelle

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi annabelle, 

i was was diagnoised with an overactive thyroid for 8 months. I have gone up and down with medication and I haven not really improved. I still feel very tired and shakes. My levels where extremely high when I was diagnoised something like 125. Unfortunately now I am experiencing severe headaches and I'm wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to help these without paracetamol x

• Posted

I am assuming you are on Carbimazole or PTU if you are in England or Methimazole in the States?  What I have found and others on Boards like this is that you have to become proactive in order to recover.  There are some practitioners who believe that Graves and other autoimmune diseases are caused by what is known as a leaky gut.  So diet and supplements are very important to recovery.  Some people are avoiding gluten and dairy as well as Aspartame.  Also, always get and keep paper copies of your lab test reports so you can see your progress.  What helped me was supplementing with Vitamin D and Acetyl-L-Carnitine along with a low dose of Methimazole.  It is believed that the carnitine gets the medicine into the nucleus of the cells.  Other patients on the Boards have taken supplements such as Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa.  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi I have overactive  thyroid  I went to see the  thyroid  dr and they told me northing  about  my  thyroid  what do you think  I should do thanks shirley
    • Posted

Hi Shirley, What are your blood test numbers that make you say you have an overactive thyroid? Do you have any symptoms? What do your thyroid Drs tell you when you went to see them? It's possible that people get into "subclinical" hyperthyroidism condition showed from blood test result, but have not much of hard symptom. Maybe some of us can help if you provide more info?

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with a slightly overactive thyroid - I haven’t lost any weight but I get a racing heart, especially in the evening.

I have got a hospital appointment tomorrow - what will they do to me?

• Posted

Not sure what they will do tomorrow.  My diagnosis took about 2 months to complete and involved blood tests for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 as well as for thyroid antibodies.  Then a radioactive uptake scan.  I was immediately put on the drug Propranolol the first time I saw the Endo to help with the heart racing until she could confirm my diagnosis of Graves Disease.  Once she did that, she started me on 10 mg of Methimazole (same as Carbimazole in the UK).  Once I was started on Methimazole, I did not require the Propranolol as my Free T3 and T4 were not extremely elevated.  I was on this dosage for 2 years and my TSH would not rise from less than 0.001 until I added Regular L-Carnitine, 3,000 mg and then later Acetyl-L-Carnitine 1,000 mg and dropped the Regular L-Carnitine down to 1,000.  I also took vitamin D 5,000 IU per day and Magnesium 200 mg. daily.  These supplements taken while I was on Methimazole were what helped to normalize my TSH and decrease my antibodies.  It was not the doc who gave them to me but I did let them know I was taking them based on research I had done.
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

It's interesting (and hopeful) to hear about decreasing antibodies by taking LC and/or ALC. Please share the related research you based on. Thanks

• Posted

I cannot post links to this Board so I will send you the link by email.  I came across the research project article on the use of Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 to 4,000 mg per day.  Tried it and my TSH rose from less than 0.001 to 0.12 but stayed there.  There was no research on Acetyl, I just experimented with different forms of Carnitine and tried the Acetyl.  Then combined both Regular and Acetyl and finally at the end I was just taking the Acetyl because this seemed to be what was helping my TSH to rise.  Because there is no research on Acetyl, one has to be careful and monitor and adjust dosages frequently to keep your labs where you want them.  My Endo adjusted my meds dosage and I would adjust the supplement dosage.  When I stayed on a low dose of Methimazole and the supplements for a long time, my antibodies finally became undetectable and I have been off of carnitines and meds since April.  I still take 1,000 IU per day of vitamin D because I read it was very important for good thyroid function. It seems that Acetyl works best with Graves patients to raise their TSH but Regular L-Carnitine is especially helpful to Hashimoto patients to keep their labs stable.
    • Posted

Thanks, Linda.

Does this research show evidence and mechanism of LC's effectiveness in reducing GD antibodies? I hope it does.

From the instructions of LC products and some users' report, LC is not suitable for hypothyroidism patients because it has the effect to reduce thyroid hormone. Even some users in normal thyroid condition took LC to adversely develop hypo condition. Wonder how is LC especially helpful to Hashi patients?

• Posted

I don't think it did specifically mention antibodies but it did show evidence that patients did better, that thyroid storms were not as difficult.  Lowered antibodies  was the result in my case but I did use Acetyl to get my TSH up and once I got it up, I kept it there for a long time before discontinuing meds.  There is no research that I know of on Acetyl and Graves but in myself and others on this Board, it did help to raise TSH when nothing else would because it crosses the blood-brain barrier.  So once my values normalized, I kept taking low dose meds and supplements for a long period of time and finally the antibodies did normalize.  LC is specifically helpful to Hashi patients because the prescribed meds are too strong and the Carnitine at the high dosage of 3,000 to 4,000 mg is a thyroid hormone blocker or regulator and they do better.  In Graves, the antibodies are attacking the TSH receptors in the pituitary gland and in Hashi's are attacking the thyroid gland itself.  High dose LC is not good for hypo but there is carnitine in meat so a low dose or regular intake should not be harmful I would think.

• Posted

Ok, thanks. But I haven't received your email with the link.

• Posted

Sorry, I ran into a problem at home copying the links.  I have sent it now.  Look for your email.
  • Posted

Keep your chin up ..its such an invisible illness not to us but to those around us
  • Posted

Hi AnnabelleC,

Sorry to hear your hardship and wishing for our full recovery.

I’ve been also feeling sick for more than 5 years and undergo a lot of test from head ct scan, colonoscopy, abdominal ultrasound to all laboratory test, all those years the doctor said it was just anxiety.

I was just recently diagnosed with overactive thyroid my TSH level is way too low 0.04 while the normal range are .465 – 4.68 ulu/ml while my FT4 is above normal range 20.1 the normal range are 10 - 23 pmol/L.

My symptoms was Extreme weakness / fatigue feels like I don’t have energy, nauseous, mild tremors, dizziness with times feel like falling and going to black-out and more like jetlag, palpitations sometimes shortness of breath, insomnia and thinning of hair.

Today I feel so much better after starting my medication hoping you are too i'm taking Carbimazole 5mg 3 times a day and Propranolol 10mg 2 times a day. Now only almost all symptoms are gone and I almost fell like I’m back to being almost normal except for minor insomnia and hair thinning.

My doctor revisit and follow-up test is in 1 month.

Praying for our good health,

Beast Regards,

zaileh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.