Just diagnosed with overactive thyroid!

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hi All

I have just recently been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid, apparently a womens thyroid level should be around 16 mine was 47! I have been prescribed carbimazole 40mg a day and propranolol 80mg a day. I just wanted some other sufferers thoughts on how to cope with this and the break up of a three year relationship. Its hard enough with the symptoms of an overactivve thyroid but with this addedd upset it is really hard. My partner and I broke up in July about 4 weeks before being diagnosed due to us arguing all the time, for no real apparent reason, which of course I realised was probably due to my illness although not aware at the time. He wont meet up with me to discuss anything.

Life is pretty miserable at the moment!

Annabelle

2 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Everybody,

This all started about 2 years ago with me when I was 23. I started with obsessive thoughts and a panic attack in my office at work. Since then I have read up on anxiety and told myself that's what I have, I have basically struggled with this horrible feeling since then. Then about 6 weeks ago, my eyes swelled up and were very sore, went the hospital and they said I had sinusitis. They were wrong. Back and forth to the hospital with nasal sprays and antibiotics, nothing worked, I went to see a different doctor who sent me for blood tests and revealed that I had an overactive thryoid. My friend (who's mum is a pschyatric nurse) described all of the feeling I'd been suffering for so long, moody, paranoid, anxious, heart palpitation. I cried for half an hour happy tears and I felt so relieved that this was caused by a condition that could be treated,

The doctor gave me propanol 40 mg once a day, however I am thinking of taking this before bed also because it seems to wear off after a few hours. I also have the worst headaches you could imagine, I am thinking of being signed off work because it really is unbearable. Any advice please

Thanks xxxx

• Posted

Hi Jane I have the same condition as you, the headaches are caused by congestion try over the counter medications.

Have you already had the operation - let me know how it went.  I'm not sure if I should have radiation or just a normal operation.  Hope all is well with you.

• Posted

Hey Marigold and everybody else ..I don’t know who remembers me and who does..but I posted here earlier mid this year…a few months ago. Was diagnosed with HyperT hyroidism in Feb…been on meds since..but they nt seeming to work..or maybe something else is wrong?

Since on meds (Propanolol 5mg per day & Neomercazole 15 mg per day) ..I haven’t felt better..have even developed new symptoms.weakness in legs..in some fingers, weird feeling in head…like pins and needles at times..terrible head tension, extremely excruciating weird head sensations, feeling like passing out my body feels weird like it aint mine..and my head always feels like I am in a fog…like I am living a dream…I feel terrible for months now (March till now constantly everyday)..I have a very fast heart beat, get tired easily..I’m essentially concerned about d way my body feels and weird head feelings..I barely function nowadays. My Drs think its my thyroid..but my endocrinologist thinks otherwise..I got back some results yesterday and they are T.S.H= 1.25 (.4-5.00)….T4= 11.48(9.03-19.01) & T3=3.66(1.45-3.48)…My T3 is clearly the only thing out of range. Can anybody help me please? What could be happening? I meet with my Endo tomorrow

• Posted

T.S.H= 1.25 (.4-5.00)….T4= 11.48(9.03-19.01) & T3=3.66(1.45-3.48 ) …My T3 is clearly the only thing out of range. Can anybody help me please? What could be happening? I meet with my Endo tomorrow
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed last year and have recently had an increase in meds. I am now on 200mg Levothyroxine, 1 gram Armour and 5mg Prednisone daily. Initially I felt amazing but then a week ago I started getting anxious, irrational, starting obsessively googling nasty diseases I don't even have symptoms of and getting paranoid. I have had something similar before where I have obsessed about leaving a tap on or a heater on to the point where I am physically sick. This time the paranoia and irrational thoughts are much worse to the point where I think I am going crazy. My heart feels like it is coming out of my chest, I have lost quite a lot of weight, my hands shake and I am hallucinating. I know that these things aren't real but I am becoming so anxious I cannot sleep or concentrate at work. Has anyone had anything like this when there meds were increased? I have started to decrease my Levothyroxine in case that helps. I know you shouldn't do that without consulting a doctor but I am desperate because I genuinely feel like I am going mad. Has anyone experienced this with Levothyroxine, Armour or even Prednisone?
    • Posted

Thats the symtoms that I get with my overactive thyroids and I am not on the same meds as you.

• Posted

Do not let any doc push you into RAI or Surgery. I found an article on Graves and the use of L-carnitine and that really helped my recovery. It might be worthwhile to ask your doc to check your L-carnitine levels. They are known to be low with Graves patients. I took 1,000 mg of Acetyl-L-Carnitine along with my low dose of Methimazole and my results quickly became normalized. Unfortunately, it takes doctors a long time to change and my doc now believes me when I say this is very important to my treatment. I found regular L-carnitine did not work nearly as well as Acetyl-L-Carnitine as the latter is more easily absorbed by the body. This product is readily available in health food stores.
    • Posted

Hope you are well.  Do you still contineu to use  Acetyl-L-Carnitine.
    • Posted

Right now I just discontinued my 2.5 mg a day of methimazole and I take 1,000 mg of the Regular L-carnitine. I need to check my blood levels in a month. Depending on what they are, I might add the Acetyl back in again. My last labs were 1.91, low normal T3 and low normal T4. I want my TSH about 1.0 and my other two values in the middle of the range. Because of the values I had, I decided to stop the Acetyl and if need be restart it in a couple of weeks. My experience with the Acetyl is that it is excellent working along with meds to get your values down and it works fast but I adjust it a lot.
  • Posted

Hello, I was just diagnosed with an overactive thyroid but we caught it early. I have many questions about this but my main one is can it become worse quickly? Thank you
    • Posted

It can become worse quickly.  Didn't you post over a year ago that you were recently diagnosed?
    • Posted

Sorry, I had you mixed up with Annabetlle.  Yes it can change quickly.  My levels really changed within 3 weeks at the initial presentation before I got in to see an Endocrinologist. 
    • Posted

Hi Linda! 

I have  read these days that selenium is a good element for 

immune system and thyroid the boost it needs to help it function better.

did you had an experience or heard about it ?

• Posted

How fast can levels change? I recently had a relationship go sideways on me with a girl with a hyperthyroid but was otherwesie stabilized. Two weeks before we broke up she had just started a job on nightshift (10pm to 6am) and began chainsmoking very heavily. She became detached, cold and cruel. Affectionless and moody. It was unlike anything I had ever seen in my life. Also she was the only girl on nightshift, the rest of the staff were male and I got the feeling that she was receiving some attention at work. I had known her for 3 years and felt secure with her until she started this nightshift job. I have heard that people with hyperthyroid can develop a wandering eye when their levels are off, I felt very secure with her prior to this. Is 2 weeks of nightshift and heavy smoking and coffee intake enough to set levels off. She was unlike anything I had ever known at the end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.