Just dreading it...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Can anyone help? I start a job on Tuesday in a school with children which i can't have, i am dreading it every bug takes a week to shift. How do i keep well? What do i eat or would you bother. Working 11.45 - 3.15 daily Monday to Friday. Feel sick about it. Don't know if I have ibs either or coeliac disease has been queried too. Please help, really very scared!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also work in schools and they are one of the worst places for bugs. I always wash my hands regularly and especially before eating. I also found an article at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/new-term-new-germs-get-grips-back-to-school-bugs/ which may help.

There are also a few products like https://www.vicks.co.uk/en-gb/shop-products/vicks-cold-prevention-products/vicks-first-defence-nasal-spray and https://coldzyme.co.uk/ which could help

• Posted

Vitamin C is good for warding off colds.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa. It's if my jbs kicks off which is more the worry.

• Posted

Try not to worry about an IBS flare up; worrying about it is enough to set it off and can lower your immune system. Take your antispasmodics and painkillers before you get any symptoms. This is a more effective method to ward off an attack than taking your medication after a flare up begins. Keep Imodium handy, especially the instant variety which can be swallowed immediately without water. See the new job as something positive, new and exciting This will help to distract your thoughts away from your stomach. Eat what you would normally eat. Congratulations on getting your new job!

• Posted

Thanks Pippa, i still feel scared but by being honest i have got the support i needed. I will try and enjoy this job but how at the moment i don't quite know. It's going to take a lot to do this. I am going to go see my doctor on Friday to see about a camera or see if i need it at all. Once I know about my health i may settle.

• Posted

Hmm i don't know,i don't think the doctors or hospital staff do either.

• Posted

Maybe just leave it then. If your problem is only IBS, nothing will show on the scope.

• Posted

oh you mean the camera, i thought you meant the job! I am still stuck though what do i eat? I am seeing my doctor on Friday who wad sorting sll this!

• Posted

Eat what you would normally eat at home and don't alter your diet.

• Posted

Hi sam18386,

Ya know when you see people saying they have a cold and are drinking lemon tea or taking Echinacea drops..... they're doing it wrong. They should be taking those things before they get the colds. I would recommend taking Echinacea drops or tablets. Though they can help get rid of a cold a bit quicker, they're much better at fortifying your defenses against colds.

• Posted

The colds i can cope with, the attachment to children is there tough thing but am seeing doctor Wednesday with my husband and i am going to lay it on thick.

• Posted

Hey Sam,

I am happy about your job with kids, Must be fun.

I know it is difficult to concentrate with anxiety of our illnesses.

Just stay hydrated through out the day with warm drinking water and eat little portions of foods frequently, That will keep your energy level and will help with your immunity and take good night sleep, which helps our body to recover.

Listen to positive talks through out the day that will help your mental stamina and will help you to fight with anxiety.

I hope you get your diagnosis soon.

• Posted

Hi to everyone who has commented on here. I think i might have not told the whole truth about working in schools. I am scared of getting ill because my sister is the headteacher, so if i'm ill i'll let her down. I think colds bugs etc are commonplace in schools as this is the job i used to do. I am more concerned about my emotional health and what effect that will have on my ibs/coeliac or whatever. These are children - other people's and i can't have them. It's going to be emotionally tough. I dread that part. I will have to be really wary of bugs, nits and colds etc.

• Posted

If it's going to be that emotionally draining then it isn't the right job for you. Or if you really want to work in schools then maybe you need to see a therapist first?

• Posted

Hi leeniepie, i have been backed into a corner tbh by family to do this, they don't understand that i don't want to do this but i don't run my life they do. This is going to be so tough my bowel says so. I am going to have to grin and bear it. I wouldn't mind but i am seeing a counsellor already and have had enough so seeing my doctor in a couple of days too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.