Just found out I have buldging from L2-S2

Posted , 6 users are following.

Started out as pretty extreme pain, going to my hip and but, then down my leg. I ignored it for as long as I could. Then I finally went and got an MRI done. They had given me some gabapentin, which I've taken before for buldging discs in my neck. Then also gave me some codeine. Gab helps some, but the codeine didn't do a bit of good.

Anyway, got the results back and they say buldging in L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1.

The pain in my butt and leg gets horrible as the day goes on. Working is terrible and when I finally get home, laying down or sitting kills me. Leg goes numb and start getting pins n needles.

At times it feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife.

I've even had where it felt like I just had freezing cold water on mu thigh, so cold that it stung real bad. Weirdest thing ever.

They told me I'm getting a referral to pain management, but they personally wouldn't prescribe me pain meds.

Even though they gave me meds before we knew what was wrong.

My question is, has anyone had these feelings and why wouldn't they be okay with giving me something for pain.

I'm not a junkie. I work hard for my family and have to hide my pain, till it brings me to my knees when my kids wants to jump and hang on me.

My back likes to lock up. Almost to where i cant move my leg.

Do they just think I shouldn't be in this much pain?

Is it all in my head?

I'm currently feeling it push through the pain pill and can tell it's going to be a ruff night of sleep.

Maybe its because I'm 26 years old, and that aautomatically makes me full of s**t. Im, " too young to have these issues"

Blehh, guess I'll just suffer 😂

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm always interested in others stories.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

what you describe is what i have but no wants to listen i had mine through a fall at home but i used to go to work but now home in agony my back hurts my leg feels like on fire and it feels like bum about to come out it feels like feel the bone no one wants to know so you the only one .
    • Posted

It's ridiculous. I know people on multiple narcotic pain relievers, plus a benzo.

And they dont even need them. They sell them off to purchase other illicit drugs.

We go in though just wanting some help and understanding, and they discard our problems. Leaving us to suffer and find other alternatives to procuring pain relief.

I hope you find the help you deserve!

Heck, I hope we all do smile

• Posted

Hi Sarah, it sounds like your pain is awful - are you taking anything for it?  Amitriptelene is supposed to be the best I just couldn’t tolerate it so they put me on Nortriptylene which has less side effects.  It takes the edge off a bit but I’ve got an appointment with doctor to try and get something else - a few people have talked about Gabapentin which I think helps with nerve burning.  I get tingling calves, tingling butt, tingling back, lots of burning and pain around my left hip.  My back still feels very fragile still although I did it 5 months ago, when did you hurt yours?  I came into this  site yesterday and like you said, being able to share with someone who has similar symptoms really does help as sometimes I feel everyone around me is getting on with their life and I’m stuck in this limbo of never knowing if or when it will get better.  As soon as I feel I’ve turned a corner with it,  I then feel like I go back to square 1.  It’s extremely frustrating.  Anyway if you feel like a chat or a moan I’m here!   If not, no worries and I hope you get some relief soon - Lis 
    • Posted

thanks for  that yes good get of your chest knowing again let you know how get on wednesday when go to GP watch this space
  • Posted

You don't mention what country you live in but I'm guessing you live in the US. Welcome to the world of chronic pain. President Trump has declared an opiate war and their way of combating it is to reduce the amount of opiates that we are allowed to receive for our chronic pain. Your doctor is protecting his license and himself from going to jail for prescribing you opiates. So I can't say that I blame him for referring you to a pain management clinic and that's really where you need to be. A pain management doctor may recommend injections in those areas to help with the pain. He will probably also require that you have some physical therapy done. But before you ever decide to take opiates for your pain make a pro and con list. 1 pro would be that it works to relieve some of your pain which allows you to function. Don't ever expect to be able to take enough meds to be completely pain-free. And a con would be that you could become addicted to it which by definition means that you crave more and more of it so that you can get the euphoric feeling that it creates. However I read a statistic stating that only 1% of chronic pain patients become addicted to their legally prescribed opiates. But what you do get is something we called dependentancy. That means you will go through withdrawals if you stop it without tapering. You need to do some research on taking opiates before you decide to do that. Fortunately there are other options to try first. Gabapentin is good for the pain going down your leg. If it doesn't helps there's another one you might try called pregabalin AKA Lyrica. It works in a very similar way. You also should be on muscle relaxers to help with the spasms in your back. Unfortunately most muscle relaxers will make you sleepy. I'm currently on something called methocarbamol. You might also want to see a neurologist that specializes in back. He will be able to tell you if your condition can be fixed with surgery or not. And please keep in mind that if he does say surgery could help back surgery has a very low success rate. I know this is a long post but I wanted to make sure you knew which way to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

Yes, i forgot to add that in lol I do live in the US.

I'm pretty familiar with the laws surrounding opiates, and I'm too familiar with the cons of using narcotic pain pills.

I was on them for about 2 years before deciding I was getting nowhere with my holistic healing pain management doc.

I didn't have much of an issue when stopping cold turkey, but I think that had a lot to do with the gabapentin.

Kept me from getting RLS and many other WD symptoms.

My biggest issue is the fact they prescribed me something before they knew what was going on, and now they won't.

I'm supposed to start physical therapy, and pain management soon.

I really only need the pain pills in the morning and when I get home from work.

It makes me sick to my stomach, when I can't roll around on the floor with my kid.

I'm tired all the time, and my stress is making me lash out.

I try to remind myself that they dont know what's going on, or don't know what I'm feeling.

I just have always had a hard time with controlling my anger.

I've been doing much better, but when I'm in pain all day and can't relax when I finally am home, it just starts to eat away at me.

Which I'm sure you and many others can relate.

I appreciate your advice!

• Posted

Hi!

Sorry to hear you’re in this situation, I’ve totally been there.

They are probably hesitant to prescribe pain meds because they think there’s a chance you will need them long term. Opioids are no longer recommended to treat chronic pain, only acute.  A pain management physician is better equipped to medically manage patients on long term opiates in order to reduce the risk of addiction.  Doesn’t help much in the short term though, I know.  

As far as the discs go, are they recommending any kind of treatment?

I also have herniatons at the same levels as you. L2-3 through L5-S1.  I’m 47 now and was first diagnosed when I was about your age. It was the mid nineties and opioids weren’t considered a problem so I pretty much had an constant scrip for Vicodin. I started noticing that it wasn’t working as well as it had been and that other parts of my body were staring to hurt.  Pretty much decided on my own that I shouldn’t be taking it that often and weaned myself off. 

The pain subsided, but then I would have occasional flares that would have me practically bedridden and crawling to the bathroom. I would still use Vicodin to get through the worst part, but luckily the pain would gradually go away. 

These cycles continued, and after a few in a row really close together I decided I had enough and went for a surgical consult. 

The surgeon (to whom I’m now grateful), told me I was not a surgical candidate because my condition was degenerative (I had also been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis and arthritis with my last MRI).  He said if he did the surgery, it would all eventually degenerate again and we’d be right back where we started. He then told me that everyone in life has a cross to bear and mine was my back.  I was furious!

I decided against going for additional surgical consults because as mad as I was, I knew deep down that he was right. 

I continued having episodes where my back would “go out”, but they were less frequent. 

Fast forward to 36 years old and I woke up with pain like I had never had before. Unbearable doesn’t begin to describe it. I knew something was wrong and got right in to see the doctor.  New MRI showed that one of the herniated discs had actually ruptured and there was disc material leaking in my spinal canal and pieces of disc that had broken off. I had a microdiscectomy, everything went well and I healed up fine.  Four years later, same thing happens.  Same disc, same surgery.  Recovery went well. 

Where it gets interesting is that the second time the pain was in my hip so they initially diagnosed it as hip bursitis. I decided to watch some YouTube videos on the topic and saw I guy in a white coat doing a manual, massage-like treatment on this guys hip in a classroom setting.  I was facinated, as I didn’t realize there was such a medical component to that kind of work. I enrolled in massage school which I started 4 months after my surgery. I went on to get advanced training in clincal manual therapy, pain science and cupping. 

I now have a clinic where I treat people with all kinds of painful conditions using a combination of cupping therapy and pain restructuring therapy.  It’s great because I’m my own guinea pig!  

My back may not 100%, but it’s pretty damn good!  I can’t believe how far it’s come with the cupping therapy and pain restructuring therapy!  I did roller derby for a few years and now I’m amateur boxer.  I have much to be grateful for, I’m  always reminded of that when I hear someone’s story. 

Good luck and definitely reach out with any questions! 

• Posted

My girlfriend does roller derby! She recently got into a horrible wreck and it's been killing her that she cant play.

Sounds like my dads story and then my moms lol he had all the surgeries and she did yoga and anything besides surgery.

He's still in pain and my mom is able to get by without.

I personally just want to do some light workouts and yoga, but would like a pain pill at night when I can't sleep.

I know it's not really the best idea to be on pain pills, but the pain out ways the risk of addiction for me.

Ive been on them for my neck, and got off of them on my own.

I appreciate you sharing your story! I need all the advice I can get

• Posted

Hi there,

I sympathise you I really do.  I’m a 51 yr old female and I’ve had lower back pain and tingling calves for 5 months.  I had an MRI 3 months ago and they told me I had 2 bulges, L4/L5 and L5/S1.  I’ve had accupuncture, physio and Bowen therapy and still it drives me nuts.  I can’t stand or sit for long periods.  I was always fit and used to run a lot and do weights and now all I can do is go for a walk.  It is the most frustrating thing I’ve ever had to deal with and unless someone’s has suffered from backpain they don’t understand.  I was prescribed 10mg nortriptylene which I’ve now ramped up to 40mg daily to cope with the pain.  I take it in the morning otherwise it keeps me awake.  I also take codeine when the pain is really bad.   Amitriptelene is very good for back pain/nerve pain too but I couldn’t take it as the side effects were too much, I felt dizzy and exhausted all the time.  It definitely sounds like you need to get something to help with the pain.

• Posted

I've been thinking about a second opinion. Maybe get one from an urgent care and then a new pcp.

I've tried a whole bunch of different pills to help, and the codeine didn't help me much.

I tried telling myself it was helping, maybe get some placebo effects out of them, but still nothing.

I personally, love my lortabs.

I've taken perks and just straight up oxy.

They all help, but tabs give me enough energy to work and then come home and be able to relax, or play with my son.

That's what I want these docs to see.

Not me asking for narcotics, but to see that I'm a young man in a lot of pain, that just wants to be able to provide and play with my kid.

I dont need to be high, hell if I wanted that I would just go to the streets. Thats why I'm so blown away that these docs think I would waste my time and money getting pills from them, just to get high.

Streets are much MUCH easier, than getting a couple pain pills from a doc.

Either way, I hope the best for you and your pain! Thank you for sharing!

• Posted

Pain is all consuming and it’s so hard to relax, sleep, play with your child or whatever else you want to do when you’re in pain.  I really don’t think doctors understand.  I resisted medication for the first three months and now I’m so sick of it I’ll pop anything if it helps!  I’m so envious of people that can just throw themselves down on a sofa and relax without having to think about back pain.  I hope you get your medication sorted and you feel better. 
    • Posted

Of people that say, " just try to not think about it" lol

That's what I did all day at work! Now I'm home and it's all I can think about...

The smallest bit of relief is always welcomed.

Got a doc to take some pity on me and give me some lortabs.

I go to him when things get really bad, and have had enough.

He gave me a referral to an orthopedic surgeon, to see what my options are.

Now I can sit back and relax, finally.

• Posted

That’s great you’ve been given a referral, good luck and I hope things get better for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.