just got the news that my prostrate needs to be removed, cancer, not happy,any word of encouragment

Posted , 13 users are following.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My sincere condolences. There's no way to put a happy face on it but if anything be glad that you caught it hopefully in time. And of course do your research and find the best surgeon you can especially one who is familiar with nerve sparing procedures. My PSA has been bouncing around like a ping pong ball in the clothes dryer for the last year or so, from 6 to 5 to 9 to 3 to 7... I wish you the best of luck.

• Posted

my psa number was high last year, and higher still this year, had a biopsy done , cancer detected recommended removal.... go wednsday for an appointment with a surgeon....  thanks
    • Posted

Again, what are your numbers? PSA? Gleason score?  What was the result of the biopsy? Do not jump to conclusion that removable is the only option just because a surgeon recommends removal!!!!!Take some time to make the right decision. Surgery is always the first thought and in many cases may not be the best option.
    • Posted

i dont know the numbers.... i will find out wednsday... thanks
    • Posted

Ok, get the results and let's take a look at them. Do not make any decisions until you understand what your situation is and what the available options are. Do not agree to surgery at this point. You have time to make an informed decision.

?You don't know what your PSA numbers are? What have they done in the last year?

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problems. First, take a deep breath and lets look at some of your stats so we can assist you in analyizing your situation. Don't immediately jump to the conclusion that your prostate needs to be removed! What has been done and what are results of your tests?

• Posted

Hi Steve.......so sorry......can you provide brief details about you & how you got to this point? I maybe heading down your same path.

• Posted

It is not end of the world. Take a deep breath and do your research. It it many treatment modalities available so carefully choose one that you will feel comfortable with and with side effects. I was in your shoes just 6 months ago. 

I took the surgery route and I totally regretted it. I wish I did not pursue any treatments and enjoyed life to the fullest until cancer becomes serious. SE are terrible especially for younger guys. I was 51 at time of diagnosis and surgery.

i was Gleason 7 (4+3) after biopsy, 1 of 12 cores positive whitch was reversed post op to 3+4 and stage pT2c.

I wish you luck with whatever you chose.

MK

• Posted

Like Steve, I received  my news last week  ...and immediately thought 'I want it out'  so thought the removal was the best move. I was diagnosed 3+4 on Gleasons   with 3 positive cores of the 12.  Your message has made me stop in my tracks. I am 62 - and fit and active in all aspects ie badminton twice a week ...sex twice a month (help of tablets though) ......why did you 'totally' regret the prostate removal ?

Your situation may help us guys   -  so sorry that we may benefit from your regretful experience.

• Posted

Steve, I am very sorry about the news you received. I have already traveled down the road you are on and I know the shock, anger, depression and other mixed emotions that come with the news.

Please do not make any decisions right away as you do not have all the facts yet and need some time to process your situation.

The urologist will tell you to remove it because THAT IS WHAT HE DOES AND MAKES MONEY DOING IT! That doesn't mean it's wrong, it just may not be the best option for you.

The WORST THING YOU CAN DO at this point is rush into a procedure only to find out later there was a better option available.

There are many men that will tell you how they regret taking the first urologist's advice and doing a prostatectomy.

I spent about 6 months researching all the options available and ended up doing a procedure that had no side effects. I even had an erection the morning after my procedure. (It wasn't comfortable as I had a Foley catheter at the time but it was encouraging that the little General was functioning properly).

All I'm trying to get across is, unless they tell you your cancer is life threatening (which is unlikely) take some time to research what your options are and choose the procedure that matches up the best with what outcomes are most important to you.

Your urologist will most likely down play the side effects of a prostatectomy and may even tell you that you do not qualify for alternative procedures. This is exactly what my urologist did but I did not take his word and found out I had a couple of options. As a matter of fact, one of the procedures he said I Would not qualify for was the one I had.

So, don't let your urologist tell you what you can or can not qualify for. Find out for yourself.

There is a lot of experience and good advice on this forum. Use it to help you make the best decision for your situation.

• Posted

Good advice  - I'll take it on board being in the same boat as Steve.

Thanks

• Posted

Great advise. I can only support your input. The first reaction in many cases is not the best alternative. The big "C" reaction is to have it out and then many men find that it is not the best alternative. Everyone should slow down and make an informed decision.

• Posted

Hello. You don't necessarily have to have it removed. What about radiotherapy or brachytherapy? My other half was never offered surgery so he went down the brachytherapy route. He suffered from some nasty radiation induced side effects which was quite unusual, but much better now. I suppose the downside is that if the cancer returns after brachy you can't have the prostate removed as it is damaged. But if you have it removed and the cancer returns then you can have radiotherapy. So I guess we have to hope it doesn't return.

Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Had the same news last week so we're ion the same boat.  My intial reaction was 'wtf ....how? why?'  Now I am resigned to it and accept that its better to have it out now and have a longer life  - then discover it when it's too late and life is curtailed as a result of not knowing earlier ie. the glass is half full not half empty.

Be positive, get your  bucket list prepared - and do the things you've always put off. Luckily you'll have another 10 -15 years to enjoy life . I know it's a bugger   - witht the i mpotence and other things that go with it....but what the hell  - we're still here !

Ash

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.