just got the news that my prostrate needs to be removed, cancer, not happy,any word of encouragment

Posted , 13 users are following.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Steve , what a shock. It must have been . Don't be too hasty read the comments from the other guys  and other discussion threads there is a lot of good personal information out there, if nothing else it will help you make a more informed decision , The one thing that we useualy have with P C is more time to decide than other cancer patients .Weigh all the fectors up your age ,lifestyle ,expectations etc. Prostate cancer  is very rarely an emediate death knell lots of us are learning to live with it and being proactive about it every day can do . Edd. 

Hope all goes as well as these things 

• Posted

well i had my follow up with my Dr , he recommended removal, my gleason score was intermediate, somewhere between gonna live and gonna die, so i told him to remove my prostrate, march 21 is the date, it seems to be the best road for me, thanks for your advice and i will keep you guys posted........
    • Posted

Hi Steve, be great if you could be a tad more specific about Gleason score..e.g. 3+3, 3+4, 4+3 etc. Remember, the Dr is in the business of prostate removal...and of course, make you better. I would not trust a doctor who would not supply me these scores.
    • Posted

Well of course he recommends removal! That's what he does! That's how he makes his living. His recommendation doesn't mean it's your only option or even your best option. Just the option he wants you to pursue. Good luck...you have picked a hard road based on one (biased) doctor's opinion.

• Posted

What a bugger!  So sorry this was the decision you had to take. Hope your recovery goes well.   

Ash

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.