Just had a SUPRA PUBLIC OPEN SIMPLE PROSTATECTOMY

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi Everyone, 

I posted a few times on this site about a month ago. I was asking members about the various prostate procedures. My prostate was 263 grams with a large median lobe. I was unable to pee at all prior to surgery. I opted for the SUPRA PUBLIC OPEN SIMPLE PROSTATECTOMY. Surgery was May 2 (8 days ago). It was not pleasant or fun but it is done. I pee like a teenager now. No incontinence. Getting erections etc. Today I get my staples removed. I will go over the biopsy report with him, but he said that when he was looking at the inside of my prostate he said there was no hint of cancer. 

If anyone is interested in my surgery or how I am doing please feel free to ask.

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should have re-read my post. It is PUBIC not PUBLIC.
  • Posted

Why was it allowed to grow to such a size ?
    • Posted

I hadn't seen a urologist in about 4 years. I guess I was in denial until the flow stopped.

• Posted

What did you do when the flow stopped ? Emergency room ? Foley catheter? Hank
  • Posted

Since I didn't know what this was, I looked it up on the internet.  My main question - Does this mean you can't wear a speedo? (or will the incision be a conversation starter)

Seriously, thank you for sharing.  While I did not have this surgery, I did have to recover from one.  So my only advice is to take the physical activity slowly.  You don't have to baby yourself -- just don't overdo it for a couple of weeks.

To help educate us - was this robotic surgery?  Are you taking antibiotics and/or laxatives?  How did you decide on this vs something like TURP?

• Posted

I will have NO SCAR AT ALL. The doc cut me about 6 inches along the crease line of my under belly. It will never show. My prostate was too big for a turp. I am now off antibiotics but I now have a nice case of thrush. Definately on laxatives.

• Posted

I am a little confused on what you had done. Was it a prostate removal or suprapubic catheter installation ? Hank
    • Posted

I found this description on-line:  

Open Suprapubic Simple Prostatectomy

Your surgeon will make an incision from below your belly button to just above your penis. They will then cut into your bladder to remove prostate tissue through the bladder.

Alternatively, there is this procedure:

Open Retropubic Simple Prostatectomy

In this procedure, your surgeon will make an incision from below your belly button to just above your penis. Through this incision, they’ll move your bladder aside, cut into your prostate, and remove the core of the gland. The shell of your prostate is then stitched up and the outer incision closed.

Both of these has the advantage of not putting instruments through the urethra, with the possibility of damage causing strictures.  (I had my external sphincter damaged by a doctor, causing me to be highly incontinent.)

• Posted

The surgeon goes in and is hands on. He slices open my bladder and slices my prostate. He takes the guts out of the prostate and leaves the shell. I can still have orgasms now, well after I heal.
    • Posted

The only difference with me is that the incision is horizontal instead of vertical because I am over weight.
    • Posted

It seems to me that the FLA (fFocal Laser Ablation) procedure has thr same effect with less trauma.  Takes a lot longer for the surgeon.
    • Posted

Did he cut open your bladder or your stomach ? Hank
    • Posted

Glenn, it took Gary only 80 minutes. For FLA with that prostate size ... it would take all day. Hank
    • Posted

From what I read the FOCAL LASER ABLATION does not always work. Or you have to readdress it in the future

• Posted

So he cut open both your stomach and bladder. He then entered the urethra via the bladder opening, and cored out the prostate from inside the urethra. Is it basically how ? Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

I don't think they would do FLA on that size. Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.