Just had a TURP operation. Need post operation advice

Posted , 19 users are following.

New to this forum. Wished I had joined months ago to take advantage of - what appears to be - all of the helpful advice (thanks).

I am 55 year old and told I am relatively young to be afflicted with an enlarged median lobe of my prostate that was restricting urine flow and emptying of my bladder. I had a TURP operation just over a week ago (9 days ago or 31st Oct). Although I suppose I have got through the operation OK - it was one of the most harrowing things that I have had to endure. I am now 9 days post op and still in some discomfort. If folks have any useful advice and/or tips for what may be round the corner and what I might expect with resect to recuperation, then they would be most welcome. EG., side effects, amount of activity I should be doing, what to do, what not to do, pelvic floor exercises? etc. Thanks, John.

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I had the foley taken out today,( bladder scan showed I'm retaining 200mls)

they thought that unacceptable but I declined the offer of another Cath.

by all accounts I have a bladder diverticula, they say it should go back in shape with time.

Since the foley has been taken out the prostate pain has stopped as have the bladder spasms, I do have fresh blood expeled at the begining of urination ( anbody know how long this will last ?

I could only put off the urge to pee for an hour this morning but now can hold for two and a half hours.

I'll give an update tomorrow as to how many times I use the toilet tonight.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

At 50 years old I had the TURP operation 3 weeks a go today. The operation was on the Thursday, and I was discharged from the hospital on the Saturday morning following the removal of the catheter. I was back at work on the Monday, and discomfort was minimal. After 10 days no blood at all in the urine. Pain free after 2 weeks. I'm still drinking a lot, and get up a couple of times during the night - otherwise all is perfect. I'm now back in the gym! My greatest concern regarding TURP being retrograde ejaculation. You might want to check “Ejaculation Preserving Transurethal Resection of Prostate and Bladder Neck….” Journal of Endourology, Vol.28, no.1, Jan 2014. 90% success rate. I was lucky enough to be in the 90% (tried and tested...) I was fortunate to have a great surgeon. I asked him how many operations make you experienced at the procedure - and said 100. I asked how many he had done and he replied 1000. The operation took 30 minutes (and he even gave me the video of the procedure...) My advice is you have to get an experienced surgeon, who is current and up to date on the latest techniques. I tried taking various drugs prior to the operation - but hated them them and hated the side affects. I went a week and said never again. My recommendation being TURP, but get a good surgeon!
    • Posted

There are variations of TURP which one did you actually have as that is not like usual TURP recovery no matter who does it.

My recovery from PVP was similar in time scale to yours. Done on Friday, travelled home by train on the Sunday and out and about as normal on the Monday.

• Posted

The best I can make out is that the procedure was "epTURP" using The Wolff 24F high-flow resectoscope to perform the monopolar resection. It's important to add that it's not a total removal of the tumor - the surgeon stating that he removed ~80% compared to the standard TURP procedure. The down side being the tumor can grow back, meaning the procedure potentially needs to be repeated. However, the study I refer to above states that at 5 years of the 90 people studied no repeat operations were required....

• Posted

I think that your procedure was TURIS a fairly new procedure done with a smaller and better instrument than TURP and more importantly they use a saline solution rather than glycine that is harmful when absorbed into the body.

My prostate was 75 grams when I had PVP in 2005 and by last year had regrown to 125 gram when I had Thulium Laser procedure.

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Hope you are well. Did you have the EP TURP in Germany with Dr. Alloussi?  I'm in the US and are considering going to Germany to have it. I have a large median lobe and the prostate is about 120.

Thanks so much.

• Posted

Hi i just wanted to ask can you give me the details of the surgeon you had as im sure you are correct it depends a lot on the particular surgeon, and did you have the new turis procedure?

Grant

• Posted

Hi, I had the TURPS operation 7 weeks ago, 3 days in hospital. First few days at home there was some blood in my urine, but it cleared up, My flow was very good, but after two weeks the flow decreased in pressure. For the past week the flow has been a fast dribble. There is lttle control of the flow direction. Anyone had similar problems
  • Posted

A month after my Turp I'm pain free and only taking Oxybutynin for urgency which work very well, I can go all night without using the toilet and can go without the toilet for about 4 hours. I'm very glad for my better quality of life.

kind regards

Howard

PS, not hearing from others who have had a turp for a while I assume they also are doing well.

• Posted

That should have read I can go without the toilet for 4 hours during the day.
    • Posted

My urologist told me I have Interstitial cystitis of the bladder today. 3 months after my TURP and 3 weeks after Cystoscopic and filling my bladder to full capacity with water. Still having pain and discomfort but not going a frequent. No more damn procedures for awhile for me.

Carlos

• Posted

I'm sorry things are not so well with you and hope they improve for you soon,let's hope the new year will bring better health for you.

kind regards

Howard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.