Just had a TURP operation. Need post operation advice

Posted , 19 users are following.

New to this forum. Wished I had joined months ago to take advantage of - what appears to be - all of the helpful advice (thanks).

I am 55 year old and told I am relatively young to be afflicted with an enlarged median lobe of my prostate that was restricting urine flow and emptying of my bladder. I had a TURP operation just over a week ago (9 days ago or 31st Oct). Although I suppose I have got through the operation OK - it was one of the most harrowing things that I have had to endure. I am now 9 days post op and still in some discomfort. If folks have any useful advice and/or tips for what may be round the corner and what I might expect with resect to recuperation, then they would be most welcome. EG., side effects, amount of activity I should be doing, what to do, what not to do, pelvic floor exercises? etc. Thanks, John.

1 like, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well I am 63 years old have a TURP March 28 of 2016 not too long ago have some pain still still splattering some  when I  urinate and a much smaller and weaker erection  have also peed out some small blood clot  hoping things will get better  soon 
    • Posted

I hope you are doing well by now. I am 51 and scheduled for TURP on June 1, 2016. I am totally discouraged by others who are promoting PAE, Uro lift an Rezum. In my case nothing else was offered by my urologist but TURP. I would appreciate first hand experience from your case.
  • Posted

I am going for TURP in just a few days on June 1 and am also young 51 y/o. I would like to hear first hand experience with post op and recovery. How do you feel now? Did you regret having one done? How was with incontinence and for how long did you have it? Anything bad in sexual side effects? I appreciate anything you share with me.
  • Posted

I had a turp six years ago ( I'm 75 now ) I've bleeding most of that time since, It turns out I have vascular prostate regrowth, I'm now on the list for another Turp. LIFE AIN'T EASY.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

sorry to interrupt Howard you were right your body tells when there's something wrong the doctors seem to find that hard to believe regardless of the fact at the time I did not know exactly what was wrong even though I'd called an ambulance out several times it was only when the balance of my mind went slightly out of parr the one night or on two occasions I peed blood they rushed me over to the main a and e discovered I'd got an enlarged prostrate which must have given retention on my kidneys they messed up on one of my re insertion of a cathata which had to be do by some doctor a lot more experienced he flushed me out and said what are these white bits I assume they were tiny kidney stones the weird thing about that was when I was on the ward obbs a doctor came to me and also said I'd got knackered kidneys and no record was made of this as if it was intentionally left out, I've read about this happening on the patient Web site to others

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.