Just had a u urethroplasty done

Posted , 21 users are following.

Would like to share my experience with others

Male 36

Have had problems peeing for about 3 years about 2 years ago went for a urethral cystoscopy and they found a stricture and done a urethrotomy at the same time . I was then left with a catheter for about a week once removed everything was great was peeing with a great force. Lasted around 7 months then the problems was coming back . back to the surgeon which do e some test saying stricture was back and is now longer due the urethrotomy and I would be best to get a urethroplasty. Last week was in for the opp lasted about 6 hours they had to take a graft from my inner check. Now have a catheter in for around the next 3 week till things hell up. Pain is not that bad more pain in the graft site than the man hood balls are like coconut's and walking has taken on a new look but hopefully this will be a long term fix . if I can offer any information that I know to anyone in the same situation please ask me and I will try and help.

1 like, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I will have an urethroplasty on Oct 12. Ten days from now. I just came back from my pre op and had questions, however; only the physician assistant was available. I asked if the success rate for a buccal mucosal was from the patient point of view or the doctors. I also inquired if there would be closure from the graft because I understand closure is more painful for the patient. Also, having your legs in an unnatural position for six hours has to cause either numbness or great discomfort after surgery. How is that addressed? I was told I will have an hospital stay of at least 4 days maybe longer. What do you eat if your mouth is screaming pain? Do you have an SPC because my doctor inserted one 3 months ago for preparation for the surgery. I am an recovering addict so I requested no narcotics after surgery. They suggested an epidermal during my hospital stay. I hope this will be sufficient. Coconuts.....Damn.....not looking forward to that.
    • Posted

Hi Barry my graft site was stitched up has now been about a week and a half since the opp and overall pain in my mouth has been not to bad. Have been using a antiseptic mouth wash which helps .leg where numb after surgery for a few days was in bed for the night after the surgery and got up in the morning bit wobbly but managed a shower. Stayed in for 2 days no spc just a normal catheter and leg bag did try a flip flow valve but caused a lot of pain. Eating has been fine just smaller bites but have been eating a healthy diet just to make movements a bit easier due to stitches underneath. Have just been taking it easy since the opp which I find hard to do as for pain relief all I have been taken is paracetamol and the odd dihydrocodeine at night . will be getting the catheter out in around 11 days can't wait and hopefully all if fine. Surgeon say success rate is 90% plus hope this helps u Barry and will give a update when I am free from this leg bag . PS get some cycling shorts with the padding makes a big differences for comfort and sitting

• Posted

Hi,

I can't remember what it was like to have a catheter in. How would you have bicycle pants on with a catheter in? I think I remember using boxers and large loose sweatpants. I have surgery jan 29 and want to prepare prior. I plan on buying a butt ring to sit on after, boxers, and inquiring about pills to stop erections at night. Did you have any medication to prevent erections from happening. That is the worst pain I remember having while having the catheter in.

• Posted

after 1st stage reconstruction I had bit of erection pains for the first few weeks at night then usually gets better, are u having 1 stage? is due to LS

• Posted

not sire about first stage. i know im having the incision beneath balls and repairing the stricture either by cutting it out and sewing back together, or with cheek graft. either way, i am not going back in for another operation after. should be done then and have catheter for three weeks. hoping to find a prescription that will precent erections from happening at night.

• Posted

What pain pills were prescribed after your surgery? How long did the pain last until you did not have to take them anymore? Do you have an SPC insertion? I am having my urethraplasty done this Thursday. I was told I might have numbness in my legs due to the position of the surgery. Did you have any numbness? How long was your hospital stay after surgery? On a scale of 1-10 what is the pain in your mouth? Incision site? I was told I will have the catheter in me for 4weeks at which time if I can void properly they will remove both catheters. How do you avoid an erection with the catheter in you? I am an recovering addict so I want to go through it without narcotics. Am I being realistic? Thank you for your story and please let me know as I have about 60 hours left before I have this done. 
  • Posted

Sorry Pete I just noticed you had already responded to my questions. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi Barry good luck with the opp on Thursday I am going for a urethrogram tomorrow and if all is well catheter will be removed overall pain has not been bad erections at night was a bit sore to start with but a don't think there is much u can do about it

• Posted

Hi b61649 still doing good happy that I got the opp flow is good still have pain in my face now and then and but nothing that bothers me that much

Why do u ask

• Posted

Hi hope you don’t mind me asking but been looking through the net and can’t seem to find the answer to my question. My partner has just had a one stage urethaplasty using a graft from inside his mouth. He had the op on Thursday and led the hospital on Friday with a catheter fitted for 2 weeks.  He is habinf quite a lot of discomfort from the catheter tube itself but the main pain he is having is due to erections whilst asleep they are causing a lot of pain and causing a lot of soreness to the catheter exit point.  This morning it has caused his wound to open slightly and it very sore as the bigger part of the catheter tube went into the hole and he was unable to stop the reduction for 20 minutes. Apologies for my terminology it’s not a topic I’m used to discussing :-) we have rung the surgeon and thankfully we are going to see him this afternoon to get him checked out and see if they’ve can’t recommend anything to stop this occurring so the wound is able to heal. Just wondered if anyone else had similar issues and any suggestions to help. Thank you 
    • Posted

A lot of guys will put a bit of lubricating jelly on the catheter right at the point where it goes in. 
    • Posted

Have to keep the cath lubed at the entrance.  Makes big difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.