Just had a u urethroplasty done

Posted , 21 users are following.

Would like to share my experience with others

Male 36

Have had problems peeing for about 3 years about 2 years ago went for a urethral cystoscopy and they found a stricture and done a urethrotomy at the same time . I was then left with a catheter for about a week once removed everything was great was peeing with a great force. Lasted around 7 months then the problems was coming back . back to the surgeon which do e some test saying stricture was back and is now longer due the urethrotomy and I would be best to get a urethroplasty. Last week was in for the opp lasted about 6 hours they had to take a graft from my inner check. Now have a catheter in for around the next 3 week till things hell up. Pain is not that bad more pain in the graft site than the man hood balls are like coconut's and walking has taken on a new look but hopefully this will be a long term fix . if I can offer any information that I know to anyone in the same situation please ask me and I will try and help.

1 like, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just read your story.   I had  a penile stricture develop about 11-12 years ago from a hypospadius repair when I was young. I am 47 now.   When the stricture developed (slowly as I barely noticed) I had a dialation procedure because of a very slow stream and I have been self dialating (I only go in a few inches, not to my bladder) once a day since then. It’s worked fine for me as it doesn’t bother me, but of course is aggravating at times. 

Recently ive noticed it’s a bit tougher to self dialate (although I have had that several times before and it resolved itself after a week or so.  So right now I am thinking it could be some inflammation ). 

So I have been reading the board a lot for options.   I did go to a urologist (Dr. Charles Marguet in Greenville, SC)  last year who told me to keep self cathing for now since it was working for me but he wanted to follow up with me and I have an appointment this summer. He has experience with strictures and treatment as he studied under Dr George Webster at Duke who was an expert in this field but is now retired and only teaches (he did my dialation procedure). 

My stream has slowed a fair amount but it seems reasonable enough to empty My bladder and I have no urgency issues and can go hours between bathroom trips with no problem. 

At my age, I am not sure I want a urethroplasty and if needed I might just stick with another dialation.   I have also considered a perineal urethrostomy

• Posted

DID any one experience any pain or soreness from inside? before the procedures were done? 

After the procedures did anyone experience any discomfort or soreness from inside?

Be it urethroplasty or dilation? Any insights will be helpful

• Posted

I had a dilation done a few weeks ago. 

Before, I didnt have any specific soreness inside inside other than some odd sensations ever so often. 

• Posted

In May I had a urethroplasty surgery, to repair a bulbous structure.   This injury I believe was from a bicycle accident when I was 10.  I recall hurting “down there” (now referred to as the tween area) for more than a month at the time.  I now believe that I have never really known the pleasure of urinating full stream.   By the way, I am now 61.  

Over the past few years my stream got weaker and weaker.   I was getting up 3-4 times per night attempting to empty my bladder.   I have had some pain urinating, usually to start flow, and then after finishing.   By the way this could be 5 minutes of start and stop.  

Let’s be straight up about this, the surgery sucked.   Wearing a catheter for 3 weeks sucked.  Having stitches in your tween sucks.  Pulling the drain tube got my attention.  Pulling the catheter sucked.  Pain in the testicles sucks.   That said......I CAN PEE!!  Like a teenager, I can pee.   Full stream, i empty my bladder completely in 5 seconds, and no pain!!  Erections are better.  Orgasm is better.

Is it worth it? For me absolutely!!  I have been maintenance self cathing (not bad after you do it a couple times) once per day for the past two weeks, and have my final flow test tomorrow.   I missed spring fishing, riding motorcycle, couldn’t mow my lawn for 6 weeks, etc.   still very much worth it.  

• Posted

Thanks for the insight. Really appreciate it. Do u have any kind of discomfort or sore from inside post surgery 
    • Posted

Ladha, for several years it sort of felt like I had a small tear inside.  Mostly when starting to urinate, then after.  Problem with that was I would start/stop 5-6 times while emptying my bladder.  Turns out no tear but normal with a structure.  Funny that I still sort of anticipate that it is going to hurt or burn, but it doesn’t!  Full on blast a stream and it feels great.   Makes me want to drink lots just to pee.  If I said I can pee a stream 4’ from me I’m not exaggerating.  

The other thing is that for years my penis just hasnt felt “right”.  Felt small, squished, and generally uncomfortable. Seems I was “adjusting” frequently.   Now I feel like a new man.  

Obviously I am happy with the end result.   The process sucks and you just have to remember yours isn’t the first penis these nurses have seen.   😳

• Posted

How did the dilation go?

After 2 failed urethrotomy, failed attempts of self dilation by daily catheterization, I have been having dilation for 20 minutes a month at the hospital. The dilation lead to the stricture growing to over 5cm. This Christmas I will have the urethroplasty and hope that works. I live in Japan and they are over cautious here. I will be in hospital 3-4 weeks. Luckily national health insurance is great here and I will only pay a the max of about $250 for the whole stay. Just have to pay for food on top of that at about $3 a say.

After dealing with this for 25 years ( mostly the past 10) I have had enough. This had better work.

• Posted

So far so good. I had my dilation in late May. I self cath with a FR 16 once a day. I only go in about 2 inches. 

I will go the urethroplasty route if this doesn’t work. I’ve already consulted with an expert at Wake Forest University. 

• Posted

Hope you can update us again Pete.
    • Posted

Hi update is been about a year since opp and been in for flow tests 3 times and all is good so far and hopefully forever. Have slight numbness in my face from the graft but nothing that bothers me to much no pain anywhere else so I am happy with my outcome.
  • Posted

Great to hear! Feeling a bit nervous about my upcoming op. I live in Japan and they aren't so experienced here. Most people tend to just manage the condition by catheterization.

• Posted

I think this opp needs a surgeon with a lot of experience I was in the theater for 6 hours with a very experienced surgeon and after it he said I was a tricky one. I would be looking for someone with experience in doing these operations good luck
    • Posted

Did you have problems with self cathing? 

Where is your stricture?   Mine is in my penis a little higher (toward tip) than mid shaft. 

• Posted

B6, my stricture was very deep.  In the “tween” area.  Past testicles.   Now I do not know why, but they could not insert a catheter into my penis without a lot of pain even though they weren’t near the stricture.   Post surgery repair self catheter is EZ.   I still do it 1 or 2 times per week as I do not want to risk it growing closed, at all.   

I am in, pee, and back out in 1 minute with very little discomfort at all.  

Hope they can get yours stretched out.  Peeing correctly, full stream, with no pain is, well, a BLAST!  LOL

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply. I just hated self-catheterizing. I was doing it everyday at doctors orders but I knew i didnt need to do it that often so would but it off for days then weeks, especially when travelling. So it became blocked again. My fault. But when i spoke with the surgeon who eventually did the surgery he said long term catheterization wasn&t good as it could make the stricture worse.

My stricture was around the base of the penis inside the body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.