Just had an lateral internal sphincterotomy after suffering for over 10 years.

Posted , 33 users are following.

Suffered in excess of ten years..

I can Say honestly feel better already then I did pre operation. It still hurts when I have a BM but the duration of the pain actually seems less and going was no problem at all.. A delayed pain did hit me afterwards.. It appears there is more room to go now.. I *hit like a little puppy dog before lol.. Small no room, spasms and shooting pain was the norm. I went to go see a doctor the other day and I broke down in tears. I'm a 230 pound considered to be pretty rugged guy and this was just buckling pain for years and years that I could not take anymore.The doctor felt so bad for me he got me in for surgery the very next day.

Ill report on progress but no regrets here on day two.

If anyone any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them. Operation was pretty easy put me to sleep wake up done.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey. I am happy for you. I had mine done about 6 days ago. Felt the same straight after the op want to run. I haven't taken pain killers at all all in all 4 in 6days.to dose who not considering LIS think again. When the fissure becomes chronic the op is the only solution. Cheers have good time mate

• Posted

Thank you.

No way to live with a fissure.. I saw 2 docs who said the same exact thing..

It will not heal on its own if it has not after all these years..

Im looking forward to getting my life back !

• Posted

Yes of course after what we went true we deserve something. The docs say it will hill with in 2-3 weeks but sometimes more months. For me personally this illness was wake up call. I am in my earlie 40es logicly I have 20-30years live on me. It reminds me that health is above everithing. The last 3 months I done quite bet with dieting walking 5-10km a day.

The worst was when it started the pain was immense. When I will go to doctors in hospital they will telling that is not emergency I need go see my Gp. And I thought it was cancer . Have 2 young children 1-4 years . Lying in bed with 12 to 14 hours of pain.pain killers didn't help. I was saying to my self it's not time to go.loon they too young left behind . That was the hardest . I know logicly 1 day we will die nothing is forever . But that wasn't time to go. This is was the lowest point . I took 2 weeks to figure out I have by then i had 2 bad constipation the fissure gone next label I had sling tag. After few weeks felt better .caz I weak up and said to my self something needs to be done. I did my research and desidet surgery is the solution.when I tald my Gp that he was surprised. I tald him to send me private. As you know NHS going true bad time. Waiting list maybe 6months. He understood and did that favour.the next thing to hill from that and move in life but always know aha you eating. To all people any has any quastins they can ask me. Because when I was at my lowest point this forumes for Anal fissure helped alote. I am kind wanting to give something back. Tanks waiting for news

• Posted

what suregry you got? ₹do you feel better now ? now you face any problem ?

• Posted

So glad you're doing better!  10 years...don't know how you managed that...I suffered for almost 1 year before I had Botox injection.  I would have never lasted 10.  I hope you continue to feel better.  After all this time you must be so happy being pain free.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi and thank you yes it was on and off for ten years but around New Year's time I got so constipated I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance it was a really really bad night. Since that night it seemed to take a turn for the worse and be more chronic painful and going nowhere but daily pain after a BM.

Today is day 4 of my recovery since LIS surgery.

I don't want to speak too soon but right now feel like I am walking out of the woods..I feel better then pre-operation for sure.. having a BM is virtually painless.. I feel good but also know I should take it easy which I am..

Thank you for all the well wishes no regrets here and Massachusetts.😎😎😎

• Posted

Did you have pain with the botox? Did it work?

• Posted

Just had my sphincterotomy done yesterday. How did you manage your first bowel movement after surgery?

• Posted

Hope you feel better everyday and that never come back again.

i have dealing with it for almost 3 years. i came to 3 doctor. 2 told me i am still young to do something. it will come back. i change my diet. thing getting better, pain just around level 1 or 2, sometime i hAve no pain feel like normal. Bleeding just on and off, sometime it stop for few month like 6 or 7 month then comeback. it takes away my life, my wife my family my friend thinking I make it a big problem but who know when you are not in the same situation. Now I have to live with best friend who like to visit some day.

• Posted

i understand how you feel. im 22 years old and ive had this problem for about 1.5 years . im so miserable and i have waves of depression. I use miralax everyday and nitroglycerin everyday. Its still a very difficult bowel movement/painful. i bleed a little bit but the bleeding has gone down but the pain is very bad right now . any advice ?

• Posted

Do you have a fissure, and if so, have you considered LIS surgery?

• Posted

thats fantastic news...hope the healing continues to go so well and you get your life back c

• Edited

For anyone still browsing this forum, I suffered with excruciating pain from an anal fissure for almost 2 years. Doctor after Doctor would simply say "it's hemorrhoids" until i finally got tired of going to urgent care and actually made an appointment with my PCP he said he saw a fissure and not hemorrhoids. Got referred to a colorectal surgeon (thank god for this man) and he confirmed i did have an anal fissure. He highly recommended the sphincterotomy over botox or anything else that he had done and did not see results from. He patiently listened to me cry my concerns out and told me once i was ready for surgery to give him a call. My appointment with him was March 6th, 2020. Called back March 9th, had my preop March 12th and surgery March 17th. It was not the easiest recovery for me, but almost a month later and I have absolutely NO REGRETS on the surgery. I highly advise anyone suffering with colorectal pain to get checked and treated. Please feel free to send me a personal message with any questions, ill be more than happy to help!

• Posted

Hi, I've just had a LIS surgery a month ago. The pain was unbearable (due to the healing process of the surgery cuts) but the pain has subsided. However, I'm still experiencing pain during and after bowel movements... Lately there were some blood drips I'm so scared. I don't know but I've got a mixed feeling about my surgery. So some days post-op what I experienced is the pain of getting a surgery. For the bowel movements during that time, sure it wasn't comfortable, but I didn't notice any pain related to fissure.

Then 1 week post-op I had a constipation (like a blockage), I managed to pass a tool with dulcolax but it was terrible since I had to strained real hard (which has been my nightmare all these times) and I got lazy bowel during that time (I hv bowel movements each day though). I also got hemorrhoid (I think bc of the strain).

Then 3rd week post-op my surgery cuts have healed as well as my hemorrhoid. But since then my concern comes to the actual fissure wounds (since it's the only thing left). No constipation, no hemorrhoid, no surgery pain anymore, but my fissure seems not improving. I don't know is this bc I'm still in a process of healing? I'm afraid that the constipation I got and the straining I did has opened a new fissure and that's why I saw some blood drips during my bm? 😦 I really am afraid that after going through such a hard time of undergoing a LIS my fissure still doesn't heal? Tbh this gives me a great anxiety. 😦

• Edited

It felt like reading my story. suffered for 2 years now and after being diagnosed as hemmoroids by multiple doctors in urgentcare, I finally said enough is enough and saw a colorectal surgeon. he immediately diagnosed it as chronic anal fissure. Tried nifipedine and botox but the pain was getting worse. finally got the surgery done today. doc did a fissurectomy and sphincterotomy and so far no pain 11 hrs after the surgery. hope things go well tomo.. fingers crossed!

• Posted

Glad you're getting well real quick... But I'm at the same times I also envy you... I've been in my 7th week post op and the pain is still there 😂 Sometimes I've given up in live and think that perhaps this is what I should deal with everyday for the rest of my life... It's on and off when the stool is just a bit hard I'll start bleed and it'll hurt again even when I thought it was finally healed. I just had a LIS, sphincterotomy, not with fissurectomy. Sometimes I regret the surgery since my condition seems worse than before I had one. I don't know please anyone tell me I'm still in the process of healing aren't I... I don't want to lose hope but at this point I don't know anymore...

• Posted

Definitely keep your stools soft. I took stool softeners and lots of fiber religiously for the first couple months after my surgery. I no longer take stool softeners, but i still make sure to get in as much fiber as possible. Don't lose hope, you'll be pain free soon!

• Posted

It was so frustrating, but I hope your recovery is going well! 😃

• Edited

Sounds like the constipation might have injured your incisions, but not sure if it might be another fissure. I'd definitely try to get it checked out.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the kind reply. I don't know but I think u're right, I feel the pain around my incision and suspected that perhaps my constipation injured it.

I have taken a lot of fiber and water not to mention laxatives and probiotics but I still get constipated 😦 I start to suspect that I hv a hypothyroidism as well since I have some other symptoms associated with it.

• Posted

Hi A,

I am waiting to be scheduled for the LIS. Doctors tried treating this for the past several months (Diltiazem, Botox, etc - no pain relief from either). I am in daily pain and anxiety and have become quite depressed (as an extremely active healthy person this has me sidelined in a big way)...So it sounds like exploration under anesthesia and then likely the LIS while they're in there. I am concerned about the recovery period after the LIS specifically - can you walk me through? Any 'control' issues afterward? And have you remained pain-free? I know your surgery was a while ago. I hope you are well. Thank you in advance - D.

• Posted

Hi Antony,

My case sounds somewhat like yours...I've had excruciating pain for 15 mos, but I have had a fissurectomy, two rounds of botox, and nifepedimine. I've also tried physical therapy (post fissurectomy), and even acupuncture. My second surgeon (the first was a total train wreck), who did the fissurectomy, said my fissure was 100% healed when she gave me a second round of botox back in Feb. The reason she gave me the second round of botox was because my pain NEVER stopped, ever.

I don't know how it is for other people, but since my initial fissure, I have been in near constant pain...24/7...and not just when I have a BM. No one has really been able to explain why that is. Anyways, my pain never stopped, and I recently relocated. So I sought out a new CRS, and when she examined me, she said the fissure was reopened, and she wants to do the LIS. I have it scheduled for 9/11. She may or may not also do a fissurectomy. It depends if she thinks I need that. I have a hunch I probably do, given how long it has been open and unhealed.

My question for you is how is your healing going now, this far out? How is your pain? Activity level? When my initial fissure occurred, I was training for a half-marathon and fairly active. Now...nothing. Walking hurts. Sitting hurts. Life hurts. I have never been so depressed. I am not that worried about the incontinence risk (my muscle tone is good, the docs say), but I am worried that I will go through all of this, and then just have two wounds to heal from instead of one...and maybe even more pain.

You said your recovery hasn't been that easy...can you expand on that a bit? I just would like to know what to expect? And I do certainly understand that it will be different for everyone.

Apologies for the long message. My anxiety over all of this is high. I'm tired of being in pain and exhausted from it all. Any info you (or anyone else) can provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you!!

• Posted

hello, my husband just had an LIS 2 days ago. In your recuperation did you ever deal with chills and trembles? i am very concerned as i have been searching for answers and cant seem to find symptoms like this after an LIS. If possible, please respond however possible. Your help is greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for sharing! I noticed you mentioned you didn't have the smoothest recovery and I was hoping you could share more about that. It's been 10 day since I had LIS (chronic fissure on/off 4 yrs) and feel like something isn't quite right. I worry there may be infection at the site of some of my stitches. Pain has gotten worse over the last several days, especially during BM and if i sneeze or cough pain can go to a 8-9. No excess bleeding, just very sensitive and sore in that one spot where some stitches are.

This concern aside, I wish I'd taken the advice to get the surgery when my colorectal suggested it 4 yrs ago. My fissure probably came back for a few days every other month, but this last time I've missed 3 months of work. I'd tell those on the fence to go for it, get your life back.

Thanks!

• Posted

That sounds like a possible infection. How did it turn out? Hope all is well with your husband.

• Posted

Would love to hear how your healing went. Hope all is well!

• Posted

are you better now? do you regret the surgery? I'm going in I Friday to have it done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.