Just had Kenalog Protocol

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi,

I’ve just had Dr. Feingold’s Kenalog Protocol in New York. I’ve suffered with a fissure for a year and half and tried dilizatem and nifidipine ointment. I eventually developed an allergic reaction to the diltiazem so kept on the nifidipine for about 8 months. It provided a little relief but didn’t heal the fissure. My colorectal surgeon in Toronto eventually offered the LIS surgery as he said it was unlikely to heal after such a long time. I was very hesitant to do that surgery as I’ve read about possible complications and being in my early 30’s I didn’t want to risk it. I researched and found the Kenalog procedure. Where the fissure is cleaned out, cauterized and injected with kenalog steroid. No cutting of muscle so not worry about being incontenet. The only doctor to do it is Dr. Feingold who invented this alternative to LIS in New York City.

I contacted the hospital that he works at and got my colorectal surgeon in Toronto to provide me with all my documentation regarding my condition.  I sent it to the hospital via global services and after a fairly long process (4 months) I got word that Dr Feingold was willing to take my case. I flew to New York and had the procedure done yesterday. So far I’m in very little pain and am optimistic that the procedure will be a success. I’ll update throughout my recovery and am happy to answer any questions for those that may be interested this procedure. 

2 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, good luck with your recovery. We are very interested in the procedure you had. 
  • Posted

Wow that sounds great. I hope it works for you. I've been suffering for 3 years with a fissure. It's much better than it was but still not completely healed. My colorectal surgeon in Toronto said surgery was only other option available but like you feared fecal incontinence and other issues.

• Posted

Thanks. How much does the procedure cost??
    • Posted

I have no idea. I'm Canadian and we have universal health. Contrary to popular belief I could have the procedure done in about a month. There is a short wait time because the condition is not life threatening. Where are you located?

• Posted

Hi, how is the fissure pain now? 
  • Posted

Day 6 and the pain is not too bad. I have no pain during a bm just a sharp pain immediately after. I was told to wipe with alcohol free baby wipes and get right in a hot bath right after. I sit in the bath for about 10-15 minutes and the pain gradually is reduced. It doesn’t linger for a long time like fissure pain.

I’m not taking the painkillers prescribed because the pain isn’t that bad and extra strength tylonol is doing the job. He told me to take tylonol if I didn’t feel that the pain required the heavy duty pain pills. Since the procedure isn’t covered for Canadians I did had to pay quite a bit. They give you an estimate to pay and then send you a receipt with the actual cost. This is because if he finds anything else when he goes in that need to be dealt with it will affect the cost. It’s about 130000 US. Which us Canadians know translates to a lot more with conversion. 

• Posted

Surely you mean $13,000 not 130,000? 
    • Posted

Also jump in bath before bm too. I found that helped. 
    • Posted

Ya, sorry went a little wild with the 0’s. 
  • Posted

Got it. You had the procedure done in the US. Sounds like you have found something that's going to work without the high risk. Hope it works out. You're too young to have this keeping you from living your life to the fullest. I only started suffering after I retire, can't imagine how awful it would be if you have to go out to work and look after a family.

• Posted

Thanks for talking about your experience. I have fissures that haven't healed in over a year with trying all non-surgical options. I'm facing a sphincterotomy, but don't want to do it (I had one 8 years ago and it caused pushing issues). I found this procedure online, and was hoping I could do it instead, but did you say the procedure is really $13,000 US dollars??!!

That (and you having to wait 4 months, I'm in agony daily) makes me want to cry, because I don't think they take my United Healthcare insurance, and there's no way I can afford/justify that cost. And the idea of waiting 4 more months to get any more relief is daunting. If this is the case for me when I speak to Dr Feingold today, I may have to just go with another sphincterotomy here in Texas 😦

• Posted

Sean, I'm sorry to hear how much pain you're in. I can relate and it seems like daily life is unbearable! I'm about 5 weeks post surgery and feeling really good. I think it's almost healed. I really don't have any pain at this point. The surgery is crazy expensive but it does work. Not sure if they do any payment plans for U.S patients that will make it more manageable? wish it would be recognized under health care plans as an option rather than the just the LIS.

Also, I don't think you would have to wait 4 months like me. I think mine took longer because I was international. I hope you get some relief soon!!

• Posted

I have been suffering for 5 months and found this online, too. Sean, please let us know if any insurance covers the procedure as I am considering it also.

Deb

• Posted

HI Jessica - thanks for sharing. Are you really pain free now? That must feel wonderful. Is it worth any side effects?

Deb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.