Just had Kenalog Protocol

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi,

I’ve just had Dr. Feingold’s Kenalog Protocol in New York. I’ve suffered with a fissure for a year and half and tried dilizatem and nifidipine ointment. I eventually developed an allergic reaction to the diltiazem so kept on the nifidipine for about 8 months. It provided a little relief but didn’t heal the fissure. My colorectal surgeon in Toronto eventually offered the LIS surgery as he said it was unlikely to heal after such a long time. I was very hesitant to do that surgery as I’ve read about possible complications and being in my early 30’s I didn’t want to risk it. I researched and found the Kenalog procedure. Where the fissure is cleaned out, cauterized and injected with kenalog steroid. No cutting of muscle so not worry about being incontenet. The only doctor to do it is Dr. Feingold who invented this alternative to LIS in New York City.

I contacted the hospital that he works at and got my colorectal surgeon in Toronto to provide me with all my documentation regarding my condition.  I sent it to the hospital via global services and after a fairly long process (4 months) I got word that Dr Feingold was willing to take my case. I flew to New York and had the procedure done yesterday. So far I’m in very little pain and am optimistic that the procedure will be a success. I’ll update throughout my recovery and am happy to answer any questions for those that may be interested this procedure. 

2 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello

Thanks for sharing.

Wondering if this procedure is recommended after someone had the lateral internal sphictorectomy( 4 months ago) and fissure is not healing?

Thanks

• Posted

I am having the Kenalog proceedure after Christmas- I am hopeful that it will work for me too.

Failed 2 rounds of botox and multiple creams..

How was the postop pain??

A little nervous for this!!

Any words of advice are appreciated!

• Posted

HI jessica - had the kenalog proceedure with dr feingood 2 days ago.

Left the hospital feeling great..

I am painfree unless I try to have a bowel movement .

As soon as I attempt a bowl movement the pain is still pretty bad.

I have been following all his postop intrsuctions - baths twice a day and stool softners.

Eventually i did take pain killer which has helped

How are you feeling?

How was your post op pain?

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!!

• Posted

Aimee - could you report in a few days how things are going? I am considering this procedure and want to hear your results. Thanks - hope you are feeling great!

Deb

• Posted

Hi Aimee 😃

Your recovery sounds very similar to mine. I had a lot of stinging during and pain after after movement at first. I found that after about 10 days the pain decreased significantly. By that point I didn't even need stool softners anymore! Wiping with unscented baby wipes helped a lot too since toilet paper is too rough.

You are on the path to healing 😃 I'm about 3 months post op and pain free!

• Posted

Thanks Jessica - So happy that you are pain-free!!!

How long did you take off from work?

I am scheduled to return to work in a few days-one week post op.

Been taking daily baths which helps lots..

Also been using colace and Metamucil.

Drinking tons of water too!!

I am optimistic!!!!

• Posted

How did things end up for you? I just had the procedure 7 days ago. Still decent amount of pain after BM, but bearable. Hoping this fixes things up for me once and for all!

• Posted

I had the procedure on 12/31 -as of last week I am virtually pain free..

I have continued to increase fiber in my diet and take a stool softener every few days..

After each Bm I try and take a warm bath.

When I left the hospital Dr Feingold prescribed me both Motrin and Vicodin.

Only used the Vicodin for a few days.

Found that hot baths really helped with the pain..

Hang in there - long recovery but so worth it!!

• Posted

That's great to hear, thanks so much for getting back to me! Very encouraging to hear from someone who went through this recently. During the first few weeks, were you still experiencing the pulsing/spasming that you always had with the fissures? I have that still, but not nearly as bad as when the fissure was at its worst.

And you're right, the hot baths have been my savior. A little worried about going back to work next week, which will be 13 days post-operation, but hoping I'll be in good enough shape by then.

Thank you!

• Posted

hi when did you feel like the pain stopped i am almost 3 weeks post op and still feel the cut its not pain - its ache or discomfort

just curious about your experience my biggest fear is this doesnt work

• Posted

hi,

which stool softeners did you take?

are you healed now after that procedure?

• Posted

It sounds like a great approach.

Wondering what the cost is coming from Toronto?

• Posted

hi everyone,

ive been suffering with an AF for a year had the LIS surgery and getting better 4 months after the operation. it is still there but no more 10 out of 10 pain now.

I strongly suggest to everyone not to wipe your bum anymore whilst you are in pain!! get a simple hand held shower handle installed at your toilet to clean better than paper with no pain! if u can get hot water connected then do it!! Then sit on hot wheat bag for 20 mins afterwards.

• Posted

I am taking your advice. I just bought 2 hot and cold bidet sprays for my toilet and another that attaches to the faucet. wheat bag? I'm not sure what that exactly is but I'll take a look. Thank you 😃

• Posted

hi whissler, You will not regret it. A wheat bag is the cotton bag filled with wheat grain that you heat up in the microwave and then sit on it the other option is a hot water bottle the wheat bag is easier

• Posted

Thank you I will be looking to buy as soon as possible. I hope you're doing well. Been rough almost 2 weeks after surgery. Good thing is, not much pain until the First bathroom trip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.