Just had Kenalog Protocol

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi,

I’ve just had Dr. Feingold’s Kenalog Protocol in New York. I’ve suffered with a fissure for a year and half and tried dilizatem and nifidipine ointment. I eventually developed an allergic reaction to the diltiazem so kept on the nifidipine for about 8 months. It provided a little relief but didn’t heal the fissure. My colorectal surgeon in Toronto eventually offered the LIS surgery as he said it was unlikely to heal after such a long time. I was very hesitant to do that surgery as I’ve read about possible complications and being in my early 30’s I didn’t want to risk it. I researched and found the Kenalog procedure. Where the fissure is cleaned out, cauterized and injected with kenalog steroid. No cutting of muscle so not worry about being incontenet. The only doctor to do it is Dr. Feingold who invented this alternative to LIS in New York City.

I contacted the hospital that he works at and got my colorectal surgeon in Toronto to provide me with all my documentation regarding my condition.  I sent it to the hospital via global services and after a fairly long process (4 months) I got word that Dr Feingold was willing to take my case. I flew to New York and had the procedure done yesterday. So far I’m in very little pain and am optimistic that the procedure will be a success. I’ll update throughout my recovery and am happy to answer any questions for those that may be interested this procedure. 

2 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI Jessica, Thank you for sharing your story about AF Surgery with DR Feingold. I recently had the same procedure but I Feel like we have different results. After the surgery there was little pain or discomfort due to the numbing medication used on the surgical area. BUT MAN! when it wore off IT FREAKIN HURTS! I am now a week past surgery so far little pain normally before any bowel movements. HOT Sitz baths YES HOT sitz bath help after and before any bowel movement. USE Your meds that are prescribed for this procedure IF Anyone goes for this surgery just dont overtake you need to give your body time to feel the effects of it. I am trying my best to keep my stool soft but with IBS I tend to get triggered by certain foods, emotions, etc.. very difficult to manage but not too bad considering what I was like before. Taking probiotic with Fishoils has been helping digestions and flora in my gut. I'm happy to see I am not alone on this because its such a difficult situation being where the fissure is located on our bodies. I completely sympathize and understand the torment, torture and many agonizing days that lead up to getting treatment and after. I Hope any info we share will help others to find help as we have. God Bless!

• Posted

i am 7 days post op for feingolds surgery at day 6 when i stopped anti inflammatory pain meds i am just feeling the cut so its not crazy pain but its non stop. is it just that pain meds were masking it before day 6??my pain after bms has decreased significantly thoughanyone experience this?

• Posted

how are you making out.

hope you are progressing well.

• Posted

Jessica

hope you are well.

wondering what the cost was being from Toronto??

thank you

gerry

• Posted

does anyone know if the kenalog procedure is offered anywhere else in the world? Im in Australia and it sounds by far the best and most sensible procedure.

• Posted

I only know Columbia Presbyterian hospital in New York City, where Dr Feingold does that surgery. I had it done but haven't had the same results as she did. I can't imagine you making the long trip here to get it done with results being 100% or 85%. I'm 2 months out and still in great deal of sphincter pain from bowel movements. I'm not sure what I will do next. Maybe wait until I'm healed a bit more then see Dr. Feingold. From there make a decision. It's been tough to travel reason why I need more time to make my follow up. That's my story but It can work out far better for you.

• Posted

Dr. Feingold invented the surgery and currently it's only offered by him and his colleagues at New York Presbyterian in New York. I had told my colorectal surgeon about the procedure and he thought it was a good technique but that because LIS is still the gold standard and Kenalog is experimental they would do that type of procedure.

I went to New York last October- luckily I'm from Toronto so its quite close for me. I had the kenalog procedure done and I feel to back to normal now 😃 I Had fissure pain for a year and a half prior and was on 2 types of ointment with no luck.

• Posted

what was the cost being from Toronto?

thank you

• Posted

american dollars I imagine?

thanks

• Posted

Hello,

i am glad i found this forum.

i am suffering from very bad fissure and just had last week botox injection for a second time and this time it didn't work. i am in terrible pain and ended up in emergancu two last days and in surgeru department last night. the pain after bm is unbelivable and it last for 6 hours or longer.

I am in California and most likely i will not be able to use my insurance and anyway everything may take months for me to actually get there.

i don't know if anybody else does this procedure in CALIFORNIA, will need to find out. And in mean time i don't know how to manage this pain. they just told me last night that the botox didn't work and that the fissure is in a very bad shape. I didn't let the doc to do the cut in the muscle but honestly i don't know how i will handle the pain now before i am able to get any help.

i called this morning to schedule an appt with Fr FEINGOLD but i was told that he is no longer there. i don't know if he is working somewhere else. They offered a different doctor DR KELLER she supose to call me. Does anybody know what happened to DR Feingold?

• Posted

he did say he was leaving columbia at my last appt but didn't say where he was going im sorry!

• Posted

With Dr Keller, she is most likely to give botox or sphincterotomy depending what her diagnosis of your anal fissure. I hope you find Dr Feingold. I really wish I had more precise location to give you.

• Posted

hi,

how is your fissure now?

i had botox done 10 days ago but still in pain.

• Posted

SO Dr.Feingold used to be my doctor bc I also suffer from AF. He said he was moving to Rutgers Hospital in NJ but the other docs there can also perform the kenalog procedure. Not sure which doc but try calling them.

I'm think of getting it done now bc its only getting worse. I've been afraid of the outcome. What if it doesn't work, what do I do next? It might make me feel worse but I guess I have to take a risk for any result..

Hope this helped

• Posted

I am feeling much better. It has been only one week after the procedure and I was ok from the first day. I just need to try to stay away from to many BM every day as that is a problem that I have.

Still have to take Advil for pain after BM and use ointments regularly but the difference is huge and I am very optimistic.

My doctor thinks that there is small chance that my fissure will heal because it looked very bad but we agreed to try Botox and Kenalog this time and see how I will respond. she also dId something else on top of that, not sure what is it called... some burning.

My doctor does Kenalog injections for other places in the body and this was not new for her. I feel I can trust her and that she really wants to help me.

Finding her was a life changing experience for me, I suffered so much before that. So will see how is it going to be in a few weeks.

I will keep you updated:)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.