Just had TURP my story so far

Posted , 18 users are following.

6/11/20

If this just helps one man suffering from BPH who is considering a TURP procedure I will be happy. I’m no writer so my grammar could be choppy

Its up to you if you want to read all of this, but I just wanted to be as comprehensive, accurate, and transparent as possible.

My name is Scott (Live in South Florida) I am 57 years old, retired firefighter, and consider myself in pretty good shape 6’2, 220 lbs, with no real medical history. i.e. diabetes, heart problems, stroke, immune disorders etc.

My journey/story into having a TURP procedure is based on the following:

I’ve had problems peeing for probably over 10 plus years

Weak flow,

Pee coming out in a split stream

Having to push hard often when I pee.

Getting up multiple times on certain nights, not every night but enough to make me fatigued and frustrated.

So, before I retired (11/19) my fire department brought in a medical company and offered us full body scans. They sonogram you from your carotid arteries down to your testicles. Mine went well accept for some clouding around a part of my bladder. Ok this information concerned me, scared me the whole bit. I didn’t really know what to do so I brought the information to my primary care doctor who recommend I see a urologist (I might have some bladder damage). Well yes all those dreaded thoughts come into my mind about everything bad.

Now by coincidence a few guys who I smoke a cigar with twice a month were talking, and told me a close friend of theirs, who I know, just went through a bad prostate problem. Maybe, I should talk with him a little about this stuff and maybe he can recommend a good urologist.

OK, so I call this gentleman (he knows me) and ask him if I can talk to him about his prostate issue because I feel I may have one also. Now I just want to note this guy is well educated, successful in good shape and extremely capable of making good decisions. He is also very nice and has an incredible heart for others…. In short… I trust him… His age is 59.

He describes to me that he had BPH was taking medicine for a while and all of a sudden one day the medicine apparently stopped working and his urine started filling his bladder to a level that was almost 2 litres??. So, how did he find this out. He was traveling in another state, had dinner with friends (my cigar buddies) and as they were driving down the road he didn’t feel good, so he asked if they could stop the van so he could use the restroom. He advised as he exited the van he had severe abdominal pain and he completely past out and slammed his head against the side walk. He was helped up and taken to the hospital (Said if he was alone he would be dead). The hospital determined his bladder was filled with urine as he hadn’t pee’d in two days almost 2 litres.. So, he finally gets home to south Florida and finds out his situation has gotten so bad that he cant get a TURP or other procedures that he has to have a full prostectomy. He had to travel from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando to get iprocedure done. The doctor he initially saw in Fort Lauderdale was booked up for a month. He was referred to another doctor in Orlando by a trusted friend. So, after a lot of pain and suffering he gets the procedure done, and I’m happy to say my dear friend is ok happy and healthy. However, he told me Scott get the TURP procedure done don’t wait don’t put yourself through the massive suffering and pain he went through. One thing he did say that stuck in my head. He said he thought he was managing the BPH situation with meds, until the situation quickly changed course and managed him almost killing him.. I know lots of guys get blocked up with advanced stages of BPH, but you really never know when or where you will be when the blockage starts. So with that long term med usage is concerning.

So, I thank my dear friend for his time and the humble sharing of his story.

From here I scout out a good urologist in my area. I go in to the appointment have a cystoscopy which wasn’t a lot of fun but it was do-able had a sonogram, a CT scan and a rectal exam. He said yep you have BPH and do show some bladder damage from forcing myself to pee over the years. He prescribes me alfuzosin and mentions TURP procedure if I’m interested.

I decide to take the meds from January to May with no real improvement noted. He said there are other meds but they can have some negative side effects. I start thinking I probably need some type of procedure possibly that TURP thing. Here I start researching all of the available procedures and it just seemed that most people that get other procedures end up finally getting a TURP (Hence its referred the Gold Standard) Read and studied REZUM, Greenlight, Uro lift, etc. One of my biggest concerns is that Im very active I ride road bikes and mountain bikes and I put a lot of pressure in the prostate area, so I did not want and mechanical contraptions down there that I could accidentally loosen up because of my excessive biking.

So, I make the TURP decision and again research the crap out of it. I meet my doctor and tell him this is my choice lets get this done. He advises that with the slight bladder damage and pretty extensive blockage that this is a good choice for the long run. He’s actually a pretty nice guy I like his demeanor bedside manner and professionalism.

Two weeks before:

Pre surgical physical tests and chest x-ray at primary care doctor passed

Covid19 test done passed.. Hospital requirement

Surgical date set for 6-8-2020

Day before surgery nervous anxious but not too bad “It is what it is”

Watched a bunch of positive video stories on YouTube “Sunrise Urology” Turp patient testimonies (made me feel a little more at ease).

Really praying for good outcome. I feel young for this at 57, but Dr did see some bladder damage and retention with blockage present

Wife going with me. She’s been great I’m very lucky… 33 years married.

Lots of thoughts funny how our minds worry more than they stay positive…

Slept ok last night woke up early 4:30am little nervous praying for the best.

Just got to hospital ...South Florida Plantation

West Side Regional Hospital 10:30 am

Paper work signed sitting …. waiting to get called in….

Going in now….

Everyone at hospital was very nice and professional “That helps”

Anesthesia went really well woke up in no pain, no nausea but groggy… Normal ….. Good job Anesthesia Guy.. 

Yep, there's that catheter funny as “I reached down there to check”

A small very slight pain at penis tip... scale 1 out of 10 told nurse she gave me liquid tylenol it helped pretty quickly. I didn't want to ignore any pain and have it get bad.

The slight pain went away never worsened

They were gonna keep me overnight but since I was young 57 and procedure went well with little bleeding they are sending me home...

Going through discharge process IV out, catheter a little uncomfortable 2 out of 10 more uncomfortable than painful. Penis tip a little sensitive.

Ok going home still groggy a little hungry hoping things at home go well

Have two prescriptions

Phenazopyrudine 200 mg tab every 8 hours for any burning in penis

Nitro furantoin mono mcr 100 mg twice a day Antibiotic

Tylenol for pain every 4 hours

Ok catheter info:

Tube coming out of penis positioned off to my right side so I changed to right side of my bed. Looks a little weird but you get used to it.

Blood in Urine in catheter bag this is normal don’t freak out.

Some blood at penis tip too. Normal don’t freak out.

I had my wife stick a clothes hangar between box spring and mattress to hand catheter bag on. It worked pretty good. You gotta keep it lower than your bladder or it will not drain. A little uncomfortable but it's ok

Wipe blood at penis tip away gently with damp tissue paper so it doesn't dry up and make my penis stick to my leg.

Again no need to freak out… Really no need….

No real pain just penis tip sensitive at this point it's been 9 hours (8pm) since surgery 11am

Food:

Chicken soup

Ritz crackers

Good amount of water keep bladder irrigated

Pee is slightly pink and orange from Phenazopyrudine it's normal.

Watching TV trying to stay still don't wanna move catheter around too much. Dr. said don’t worry too much catheter is in place.

Only surgical procedure I've ever had is colonoscopy so it isn't like I Have a lot of experience with this stuff.

I was able to lie in bed and relax actually napped for about an hour my body is relaxing a bit more. Situation is understandably stressful in the mind it's normal, it's ok. This is do-able.

First night leaving hospital catheter is difficult to adjust to didn't sleep very well. Finally got some rest around 1am (Just more emotionally tired lots of wasted emotion and energy worrying way too much…..)

Second day still no pain from surgery and my body is adjusting to catheter a little better. Haven't had bowel movement yet. A little nervous pushing down there mostly eating chicken soup and toast.

Ok second night my body feels a little more relaxed and I'm going to have a small amount of spaghetti and salad for dinner it's Tuesday night I had TURP on Monday morning at 11 am. I am going back to doctors on Wednesday at noon for catheter removal. Yes of course I'm a little nervous about that. Again normal…

I slept pretty well Tuesday night woke up a couple of times with just the awkward catheter arrangement. I am hanging catheter bag next to bed from the hanger a placed between box spring and mattress. Ok Wednesday morning got up and did my walk through my house just “house laps” I call them to keep my body moving. Keep blood flowing

After about 5 laps I felt I had to go number 2. Oh boy a little scared to push. Number 2 not so bad but I did have a bladder spasm for about 20 seconds it is like a pain where you feel like your pushing to pee but it goes away when you focus on relaxing. It's ok it's not a sharp pain just a pushing sensation in penis. Don’t freak

Now it's 10:30 and I'm trying to figure out how to use leg strapping catheter bag so I can go to doctor. I don't want to walk into waiting room carrying big catheter bag. Although it may be funny seeing peoples reactions. They'll definitely give me my space. Bunch of red pee in bag from medicine and light blood. Ok I have leg bag figured out off to doctor with wife. Man, I'm nervous and I'm scared about my stuff working after catheter removed. This s**t is definitely a head game, but you can do it stay positive.  So as I'm sitting in waiting room it's 1230 and the food delivery guy comes in Dr. office with a bunch of food bags from Cheesecake Factory. So I think great I gotta sit and wait while they eat or their gonna rush me through catheter removal so they can chow down. My name is called and I go in to room number 3. Now I'm getting more nervous and the office nurse who's very nice says welcome sir pull down your pants, put this cloth around you doctor will be in in a minute. Dr. comes in he's very nice and says man are you ok you look nervous. I said I am nervous if course. He smiled. He said no worries taking out catheter is really no big deal. He said my procedure went great and I am going to feel like a million bucks. He said I needed procedure lots of blockage and some suspected minor bladder damage previously seen but not bad.

Ok here’s the catheter technique he used. I’m lying on my back he holds the tube and my penis and says take a deep breath and exhale slowly. He did this twice and removed ¾ of catheter the third breath the catheter just rubs against the sphincter muscle a minor pressure feeling for literally one second and I’m done. Really a lot less than I thought, again a lot of needless worry. He said go home drink lots of water. Take it easy. No lifting weights or riding my bike for 6 to 8 weeks, I will see some blood in urine its normal. Peeing will burn a little but he gave me a medication for that which really works pretty good. He did go over retrograde ejaculation with me and I understood it. However, the meds I was taking was causing a lot of that anyway. So, I’m hoping for the best sexually.

So, Day three I’m going home in car catheter free and now hoping I can pee normal and my biopsy comes back negative for cancer. I’ll take any prayers if you have them

Ok I’m home and I feel a pee coming on. No incontinence. I go to pee and no real pain maybe a real slight burn 1 on scale from 1 to 10.

I slept very well third night got up to pee around three times still no real bad burning or stinging. Medicine I believe helps with this (Phenazopyrudine 200 mg tab every 8 hours).

Day four Thursday. Feeling better eating better, peeing normal, very slight spasm at end of pee (I’m able to control this. No big deal) a pushing sensation.

Fellas, I know this is gonna take weeks for me to fully heal, but I hope and pray for the best. I intend to take care of my body best I can and drink a lot of water…. No Beer fellas… for a little while at least. I hope my story helps someone. Listen Its normal to be nervous and confused, but like my friend said BPH can go from you managing it, to it managing you in a bad and painful way. If you are a candidate for this procedure strongly consider it after you find a solid Dr. Check all Dr. ratings and use good trusted references if you have them. If your in this BPH boat I feel all your thoughts and worries, but its treatable don’t ignore it. Make your life as long and as great as you can, and don’t worry about stuff as much as I did You can do this

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

ScottP:

What a great post. Thank you so much for your detailed description of your experience. I am glad you seem to have a good outcome so far.Would appreciate if you would provide a periodic update how you are doing.

I had Rezum a year ago and now right back where I started prior to the Rezum and taking meds again . I am age 55 so a Turp may be in my future so really appreciate your candid & detailed patient journey. Happy for your good outcome. Wish you the best and strong recovery.

• Edited

Hello Boethius,

I have just passed my eight week mark since my Turp by Dr. Daniel Ead in Plantation Florida. He gave me permission to use his name 😃. I tried to go a little longer than the recommended 6 weeks before I engaged in strenuous activity. I am a pretty serious Mountain Biker, Road Cyclist, and Weight Lifter. So with this slew of very strenuous activity I was a little nervous getting back in the saddle. I did not want to cause any problems to the healing area. The cycling really ponds that area down in the prostate region. Well its 8/4/2020 and I started back yesterday. I have to say it feels pretty good to be back pushing myself again. Most if not all symptoms from the procedure are gone. Heres the laundry list:

1.Went from peeing multiple times at night to just once sometimes I actually sleep throught the night.

2.Sometimes I have an urgency but I am able to hold it.

3. I actually can stand up and pee without it shooting it in different directions and the flow is great.

4. The retrograde orgasm at first seemed a little weird but I have gotten used to it. I would say maybe sensation wise I would say 10% reduction. I think the foreplay and intimate time spent prior really helps get things close to 100%

5. Its a little weird knowing that you dont ejaculate semen anymore but the other positive factors outweigh that to me. Ive been married for 34 years and have an amazing wife.

My dad had prostate cancer at 59 and Im 57 so that may be in my future but right now things are good, and right now is all we really ever have.

A lot of research and factors went into deciding to do the TURP procedure over all my other options. I am well educated and I have been in the emergency medical profession for 35 years so I feel comfortable with my research and choice. I cannot say this procedure is for everyone as everyone is different but so far its working for me.

My close friend whom I communicated with prior to my decision almost died from his prostate completely pinching off his urine. He was 58 and taking medication for his situation when the meds just suddenly stopped working (He was away on a trip and it was a nightmare for him). He had to have a radical prostectomy, and I'm happy to say he's doing fine.

I pray that you find peace in whatever decision you make, and that the outcome of it serves you well. Your partner in prostate problems.

I'm getting ready to go workout as I write this 😃....

• Posted

Scott, hii my name is Mark . I am 59 years old from Michigan and also a firefighter. I have similar issues like you and I was told by my doctor that I would benefit from having a turp procedure. I am very nervous because of everything that I have read. If you don't mind I would like to know how everything is going with you since your surgery. I have an appointment on 8/20/20 to discuss my options with my doctor.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Please scroll up as you will see replies I have made to others and include updates. Its normal to be nervous if you weren't something would be wrong. I was too. I found a great doctor, Dr Daniel Ead in Plantation Florida. My procedure was on June 8th and today is August 21st. I'm doing really well. I felt with all my personal criteria and the research I conducted that the TURP was right for me. Its great your addressing the issue as it will only get worse and potentially damage your bladder. This is a situation that either you manage or it manages you. To be honest I never felt really any pain after my procedure just some awkward uncomfort for a short time (Catheter for two days) normal.Yes had catheter awkward slightly uncomfortable, weird to look at, blood in my urine etc. Got it out two days later. Only a minor pinch for 1 second upon removal (Pain scale maybe a 3). Way scarier than reality. Don't lose any sleep over this. No pain during urination as my Doc gave me meds for this and they worked great . I did have some bladder spasms which I can describe as when your done peeing your bladder still is pushing a bit and it feels a little weird, but again no real big deal. This actually lasted for a about three weeks I don't feel it at all now. Yes some blood in urine for a bit after catheter taken out which is normal. I had sex 5 weeks after procedure. I was a little scared, and it felt slightly different but I have adjusted fine as I'm sure you will too. Ive been married for a long time, Have sex once a week, no complaints from my wife. If I was single maybe I would be a little more concerned about retrograde orgasm, but my prostate, bladder and urination health would probably outweigh my orgasms especially at 57 years old. This is weird but I have to be honest and say I actually think i go longer during sex after the TURP. LOL I'm serious. Not sure why.... Listen your gonna be fine make a decision best for you and stay on top of your health. Proud to speak with another firefighter.

• Edited

Hi Scott,

Hope you are still doing well! I responded initially to your post and commend you again for your detailed account. I was supposed to have a TURP done last November but circumstances forced me to cancel it. I am now having it done in about 10 days on the 9/18/20. I've done my homework, picked my doctor and this is not my first rodeo when it comes to a prostate procedure but I'm still a little apprehensive but I will try to keep your 'You can do this!' attitude in my mind during the nervous times.

Stay safe, pee strong!

Rob

• Posted

Hey Rob,

Great to hear from you, and I hope you are doing well. I am approximately 4 months out from my TURP as we speak. My urinary and bladder function are night and day since before the TURP. Physically I am back to 100% Living my life to my very best. As we get older we go through stuff, life, medical, financial, relationships etc etc. The decisions we make in all these areas are critically important, and are unique to each one of us. I think the most important aspect of the TURP to most if not all men are the retrograde ejaculation issue. I will attempt to be as accurate as possible when I present here my body's response to this side effect. The euphoric feeling of my orgasm I feel has been reduced I would say from 100% to about 80% to 85%. At the climax or the end of sex if Im not outside of my partner/wife I really don't feel that much of a difference. If I were to masturbate I would say the sensation is probably down to about 75 to 80% total overall sensation. I'm 57, been married for 32 years, have a great wife, so this really has not presented any issues or complaints or concerns on her part. I am very fortunate to have an incredible wife. It was found prior to my TURP that my BPH had caused some slight bladder injury from the back pressure it was causing during urination and the urination retention. This was prognosed as a situation that would only get worse potentially leading me to a self catheterization situation... (No Thanks). In reviewing all of my options and my medical and lifestyle situation I chose the TURP. Being 4 months out I pee like a kid, have no urgency to pee other than any normal guy who may have a lot of fluid inside them from drinking. I dont have any erection issues, and I am very happy so far. Yes it would be nice to not have the retrograde stuff but again, not that big of a deal to me or my wife. I spent a whole lot of time researching my options and felt in the long run the TURP was better for me. I hope and pray that any of this sharing of information is of some help. If you do choose to do it, I offer you my optimistic and moral support. Youll get through the catheter, you'll get through the minor burning for a few days when you pee (Make sure you get the medicine for this burning sensation. It makes your pee copper colored and basically reduces almost all of the slight burning (Its no big deal. You'll get some bladder spasms that came on at the end of peeing for me. It felt like my bladder was still slightly pushing like it though it still had to pee. Just relax during this minor sensation it lasted for about a month and went away completely. Focus on one day at time, and don't get yourself down. Life is short live it your best.

Blessings and prayers for a full recovery,

Scott

• Posted

Hey Rob,

I did see by the date that you just had your TURP. Be calm and stay focused your gonna be fine even if your hating on that catheter right now. It sucks but youll look back on it being no big deal. Take your meds and drink a lot of fluid. Your gonna see blood in your bag its normal dont freaK out 😃. Your gonna see blood at the tip of your penis where catheter comes out. Its normal dont freak:). Time is gonna pass your gonna be fine. Getting the catheter out is again a slight pressure sensation for one second (No big deal). Praying for you Rob... Focus on the future and living a great life. You got this....

Warm Regards,

Scott

• Edited

Hey Scott,

Thanks for checking in and for the encouragement. I'm 10 days out from my TURP. I stayed overnight in the hospital and they had the catheter continuously running saline through me and flushing out clots and debris. I think that we only saw one clot the whole time. In the morning the doctor had me drink a bunch of water and walk the halls a bit to see if any clots were lurking. We didn't see any so they removed the catheter and I drank more water, walked around more and was able to pee well enough to leave the hospital without a catheter. That was always the hopeful plan and it worked out. I was in the hospital about 24 hours in total. The next week at home was a little choppy with burning and stinging but I just took the Pyridium (the one that turns your urine orange) and saw my doctor about 6 days after the surgery and she said that I was doing well and on course. I thought that I had would show that I was retaining urine but my PVR was zero at that visit after I gave a urine sample. I was kind of driving myself crazy by keeping a urine log (measuring how much I drank vs. how much I peed) and then worrying about how many times I got up at night, etc. She said that for the first few weeks not to worry about all that because there is still major healing going on. She said that the next thing to look for will be at the 10-14 day mark when the scabs from the cauterization start making their way thru the urine and produce some blood along with it. Other than blood the only thing that I have passed so far was a pretty good sized (looked like a flattened red grape) blood clot the Monday after the Friday procedure. Didn't hurt at all, just felt some pressure and then it came flying out. I'm comforted by your description of the bladder spasms that you said lasted for a month because that is exactly what I have now. After I finish peeing, I get this sensation I still have to go and a very quick (less than 5 seconds) I get a pressure/pain in the tip of my penis but I just breathe through it and then I'm good. I kind of keep expecting a big clot or scab to come out but it's been a few days now so it's probably just those spasms that you were were referring to. My stream is really strong but I still don't sleep thru the night without getting up 3-4 times but I know at 10 days I am still healing and my doctor told me that it can take a couple of months for the whole brain/bladder connection to get in synch as the bladder was so used to pushing on the obstruction (in my case the median lobe) that it takes a while for it to retrain itself.

Anyway, that's my story so far, 10 days out, thanks again for your encouragement. Be well, stay safe and healthy.

Rob

• Edited

Rob,

Your doing great! It takes time for everything to heal and start working perfect. I never really had any large scabs come out just tiny pieces. Never any pain. I wouldn't even really classify the bladder spasms as true spasms, just minor pressure like I still had to pee. Your gonna be good as new. Just be patient it takes some time, but you will be happy you took care of this. My close friend almost died because he let his BPH go too far, and he was just 58 years old. Stay positive try not to obsess over how much you pee, but do keep drinking a lot of water as it helped this heal and pass. Heading out today to mountain bike and then hit the gym so your gonna recover well 😃 just take good care of yourself. Walking helped me a lot. Heck I was just doing laps in my house till I could walk outside. You got this. ...

• Edited

P.S. I still get up at night to pee at least once. This is way better than the 4 to 5 times I would sometimes get up. Oh and also the bad urgency I had is gone. I did still have some urgency after my surgery, but it truly has gone away. Did a 5 hour road trip last week and never stopped to pee. I was like wow that was nice:)

• Posted

Hi Scott, its nice to read a positive outcome from the TURP procedure. Its easy to get scared about having it done because most of the reviews online sound like really horrific outcomes. My husband is trying to manage his BPH with medications at the moment but will need TURP. He just turned 51 and actually had his first bout of prostatitis at age 25 which is very unusual. At the time the solution was more sex which worked out for both of us. 😃 He had the Rezum procedure about a year and a half ago and his prostate grew back. I think that he is most concerned about having "things not working as they should". I assume that so far you aren't having any negative effects urinating or during sex?

• Posted

Robin

I hope your husband is doing okay. Turp is a last resort procedure. He should have stayed away from the Rezum procedure it does more harm then good

Does he have a median lobe. That may be his problem. Have him try a Urolift and a Midlift. That will take care of it. Some men do well with a Turp but some end up having 2 or 3. Being your husband is only 51 he may not want to give up his orgasm or ejaculation

I had my Urolift done over 7 years ago My prostate was close tight. My Urologist put 4 clips and I am still wide open. I have no problem with sex. My orgasm or ejaculation are intense. I for one will not deal with change. At 65 I want it all to stay the same.

If he still want to have a Turp there are Turps that will save the ejaculation. It is called a EP Turp. Ejaculation Sparing Turp. Do look into them because once it is done you can't go back.

Ken

• Posted

Hey Scott.

Glad all went well for you but why did you do a procedure that is a last resort procedure. Also if he is so good why did he not do a Ejaculation Sparing Turp. Which could have been done. Being your only 57.

When my urologist found out my prostate was close tight. He never said anything about a Turp I live in Orlando and I have a very good Urologist. I had a Urolift done when I was 58. Been over 7 years still wide open and have never felt them inside.

Being you did what you felt was right for you. We are all different.

God bless and stay safe...Ken

• Edited

Scott,

Glad the TURP worked for you. Everything you said has been how I felt and played out for me so far.

I did Rezum in Jan 2019, had 4 ER visits to be catheterized after the procedure.

Then in Sep 2019 I had urolift 8 clips put in. I had 1 ER visit to be catheterized after that procedure.

I went to see a different Urologists because I was having pain and slow urine flow.

He did the cystoscopy and said I needed the TURP because prostate was pushing into my bladder. and it was still large.

Well I had the TURP surgery on Tuesday Apr 20. He said he found 6 clips and that my prostate from 10 o clock to 2 o clock was the worse. I guess that was area going into the bladder. They sent me home with a catheter in place and it will be removed on Tuesday Apr 27.

I hope I do as well you when they remove my catheter.

• Posted

Hey Buddy

You have really been through it.You had a median lobe and it was never taking care of. If they took care of it when you had the Urolift you would have not needed the Turp. They need to pin the median lobe to the side. Doctors will not take care of it so you will have more procedures. So sorry that you were put through this

I have been on this site for over 7 years. I had a Urolift done over 7 years ago. I had a very tight prostate and I had 4 clips to open it up. It is still open no problem.

You should have stayed away from the Rezum procedure that did more damage then good. I know of 10 men that had it but had to have a Turp to fix the damage that it did.

10 to 2 was where your median lobe was. It was blocking the bladder neck. I hope the Turp works for you. Time will tell

Be safe....Ken

• Posted

Kenneth1955,

Hind sight is 20/20. If I did it all over again, once they told me it wasn't cancer I would have walked away. I would have waited until it got worse and had the urolift. But, as it played out I made a couple of bad chooses. I have a new doctor and he comes highly recommended.

• Edited

Well I hope it gets better for you and it all works out for you. I do know that with a Turp you have to get the blood into the penis as soon as you can to get your sex life back. I'm not saying that you should go out and have sex now but you have to get the blood in the tubes.

I want the best for you and I hope this new doctor is doing everything for you that he can. What's done is done so you just have to move forward.

Take care and be safe.....Ken

• Posted

Hey Preston,

Have not been on site for a bit. Just checking in on you to see how your doing. I hope all is well and life is good. I'm 11 months into my TURP. I feel I have adjusted well. Yes the sex situation is somewhat different but I'm doing fine with it.

I do sleep completely through the night frequently without the need to urinate

I can travel for hours in the car without the need to urinate

I do have mostly retrograde ejaculation with slight semen discharge

I have prostate cancer in my family so I do get checked every 4 months

I am extremely active and participate in many extreme endurance and technical sports and the TURP has had no effect on that. Besides keeping me out of activity for about 12 weeks.

I hope and pray you as well as all the other men on this site are doing well and living their best lives. Scott

• Posted

Good Morning All

When picking a procedure make sure you look into all your options. If a Turp is what you feel is right for you that is up to you. There are so many Turps that you should look into all of them. Not all doctor do all. And if he does not then go get the opinion of another doctor. You have to look for one that will help you.

Stay away from a regular Turp. With the other why should you have to give up anything. Find a doctor that will give you the best chance at a good life. You have Ejaculation Sparing Turps which will save your ejaculation. Why get rid of it if you don't want to. This is your choice not the doctor. He could care less about your sex life.

Please do your research this is the way you are going to be for the rest of your life.

God bless....Ken

• Posted

Scott,

Glad you have done well with it. Your story gave me template to follow on my own journey with TURP. Thanks for writing it.

I am 3 weeks after the surgery.

During the night I get up about every 2 hours. During the day I last 4 or 5 hours. I am consuming 1 gallon of water a day.

I still have a little blood, but the flow is better than it has been in my whole life. The retrograde ejaculation doesn't worry me as long as my sex life continues. I am 60 so me and my wife aren't having any more kids. I lead a very active lifestyle also, running, weightlifting, crossfit and golf.

I also have a family history of prostate cancer in my family. They sent the prostate piece off and it came back negative. I am sure they will want to see me at least every year.

So you laid off for 12 weeks? I was looking at laying off for 8 weeks. I do walk for 45 minutes a day.

Preston

• Posted

I did mild to moderate exercise at 8 weeks nothing crazy. by 12 I was back at it pretty hard. If you do have a history of prostate cancer in your family as I do, you should see your urologist probably every 4 to 6 months. Glad your biopsy came back negative. That is a relief, but monitoring is critical. You sound like a pretty active guy and that's great. Keep at it, enjoy life! Stay positive about the sex thing you'll probably be fine, as you don't sound like a couch potato. My various forms of extreme cycling was my biggest concern with my procedure. My road bike seat does exert intense pressure to my prostate region and my mountain biking hydraulic dropper post basically punches me in the butt/prostate a hundred times when riding, but so far so good 😃. My urination pattern was the same as yours, but I do on many occasions sleep through the night now 7-8 hours. Just stay positive and keep moving. First walking and then slowly into the hard stuff. Sometimes we still have to dance even when we cant hear the music. God bless you, stay positive, stay active.

• Posted

Ok, I will follow the same path then. I will continue walking and stretching, then a week 8 add body weight movements and continue walking, then at 12 weeks increase it.

I will mention to urologist about seeing him more often based on my family history.

LOL, I don't think I could take riding a bike that hard. I do push my self hard in the gym. I have people say they don't understand how or why I do it. It just makes me feel good.

The 1st week I was walking on flat surfaces, after week 3 I began walking up and down hills. I am up to an hour and 20 minutes on my walks 4 times a week.

That is true always stay active and have fun.

God Bless

• Edited

You'll be back to full strength soon. Its tough being patient when your active. Were all brothers in this. Stay well.

• Edited

I rode my motorcycle (BMW R1200GS) for a few hours about 11 weeks after the last TURP. I was really sore when I got home and had some bleeding, scabs and soreness for two weeks but it went away. Just keep moving and testing and noticing how your body reacts!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.