JUST HAD VIVITY LENS IMPLANTED 3 WEEKS

Posted , 123 users are following.

Hi,

I had Vivity implanted in my non-dominant eye 3 weeks ago. I have good distance vision as expected, I have good mid-range vision (to type on my Mac Air) but my near vision (to see my smartphone and read a book or textbooks) is blurry. I am disappointed. I have read that my near vision could still improve with time. I would love to know if anyone has heard this as well. As far as any halos at night, I don't notice them, but my cataract was so bad with such bad halos that anything would seem like an improvement. I also have a cataract in my dominant eye, so any slight halos I see could be due to that as well. I am noticing a slight waviness in my peripheral vision, but this could just be the natural healing process. At the one month mark, I have the appt with dialation where I will see how I'm healing. I hope I haven't wasted nearly $3k.

I really don't understand how my brother had multifocals implanted 10 years ago and he can see well without glasses at both near and far distances, but I get the latest technology and am stuck in readers.

I would love to have any feedback on anyone else's experiences. I contacted the FDA to see if I could get more long-term stats but they have not responded.

3 likes, 234 replies

234 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Your results are expected resulted with Vivity. Sorry that you are disappointed. Vivity gives great distance and good intermediate. The advantage it has is that there are no halos. Your brother most likely has a bifocal so he has great distance and near but may have gap in intermediate vision. If he has a trifocal he may have great vision at all distances, I am not sure if there were trifocals 10 years ago.

• Edited

Thanks so much for responding. The promise of Vivity was "functional near vision" according to the studies from from Alcon so I took that to mean that I would be able to read my smartphone at least without glasses.

It seems that my outcome was no better than a patient who got a correction for distance vision.

• Edited

vivity is smooth no circles so it can only offer refractive change to a certain extent much less than iol with circles which allows for steep drop and larger refractive correction. i have symfony and pretty much no near vision.

• Edited

When you say Vivity gives great distance do you mean as good as a monofocal, or great distance considering that you get mid range too? i'm trying to figure out if a Vivity/monofocal combo adds anything or whether Vivity in both eyes is the way to go.

• Posted

I have a Vivity lens implanted almost 2 months ago. I have been told that I had a "perfect" result. My distance vision is 20/20. I can read the computer (most important to me) without glasses but it is a slight strain (I have light adjustable lens in left eye that is currently being adjusted to help with the intermediate vision. For near vision, I can read my smartphone without glasses although it is a strain. I do it when I don't have reading glasses on and need to quickly look at something. For any extended reading I use glasses. I am 20/25 for near vision. The clinical trials as I recall only had about 34% of people with vision that good at near. Honestly, it is far better than I expected. I am ecstatic about it. I did not expect to be able to read my phone at all.

FWIW your correction is probably better than someone who got a monofocal. My left lens is a monofocal. Before I had my first adjustment I could see well at distance but not good at near. In fact my first adjustment on my left lens was to aim for -1 D. My near vision is still better with the Vivity lens. The Vivity lens J1 for me and my left eye set at -1 D (aimed for don't know yet what achieved) is about J5. So even if my Vivity eye was J2 or J3 it would be better. Before surgery I spent a lot of time looking at the clinical trial info that showed what people ended up with J1 (20/25) or better is not common.

• Posted

i am in my 80s due for cataract surgery. my doctor recommends Vivity lenses after Laser surgery as they dont cloud like monofocal lenses. Do you recommend Vivity over regular monofocal.?

i have been wearing reading glasses to read.

need to make the right decision! not easy. i will need cataract surgery on the right eye also.

Any advice? Thank you

2/09/22

• Posted

"Clouding" of the lens has to do with the material, not the lens design. Vivity can cloud in the same way as any other lens, easily treated in the office if/when it happens. This would not be a reason for a patient to choose one lens over another. Select the lens itself based on what kind of vision you desire after surgery and how much independence from glasses you would like.

• Posted

"my doctor recommends Vivity lenses after Laser surgery as they dont cloud like monofocal lenses"

The advantage of the Vivity lens is that it lets you see a little bit closer without glasses than a monofocal lens. A monofocal normally lets you see down to about 2 feet. The Vivity should improve that to 1.5 feet. As far as vision quality the monofocal should provide higher quality than any extended depth of focus lens.

• Posted

jonathan95823 what conclusion did you come to ?? I have the same problem and deciding Vivity /Monofocal is till up in the air for me. I've used monovision

vision contacts for years. I had great distance and could read anything up close but now with cataract surgery I want to dispose of my contacts. The vivity appears to be the right direction, but I still my near vision so as I said will vivity and Monofocal work to accomplish that?

• Posted

I'm wondering if you had your surgery, and if so, which lenses you chose for each eye and how it's worked out. I'm trying to make a similar decision now. Thanks!

• Edited

The Vivity lens is mainly a distance lens with good intermediate and possibly some reading. The results with the lens in one eye are not as good as having it in both eyes. Here is a table summarizing the results of a study done comparing the IQ Vivity to the IQ Monofocal, doing a vision test with the one eye only.

Here are the results when both eyes are fitted with a Vivity lens. As you can see the vision improves compared to one eye with the lens.

These tables come from the Alcon Vivity Patient Information Brochure. You should be able to find the pdf if you google the following:

PATIENT INFORMATION BROCHURE AcrySofâ„¢ IQ Vivityâ„¢ Extended Vision IOL Models DFT015, DAT015

If you want better reading I would suggest you consider getting a Vivity lens in the second eye but with it under corrected for distance to give you better reading ability. Or even if it is not under corrected your reading should improve. While it is considered ideal to use the non dominant eye for monofocal under correction, it is not mandatory. I currently have my non dominant eye corrected for distance with a monofocal IQ lens, and have an under corrected contact lens in the dominant eye. I can see pretty good for distance and can read my iPhone 8+ fairly well.

If you want to save some money, another option would be to use a under corrected IQ monofocal lens for the second eye.

Hope that helps some. I am considering a Vivity lens for my second eye, and if I go that way, I would ask to have it under corrected to a monovision type solution. For me that is down the road as I still see quite well with my non IOL eye.

• Edited

Thank you so much for your feedback!!!

Yes, I plan on getting the second lens implant done sometime in my dominant eye. I am nearsighted in that eye so I have a bit of near vision to compensate for the blurry one with the Vivity lens. I have an astigmatism in my dominant eye so I will have to get the Toric Vivity lens. My doc did say the lenses would work better together.

• Posted

if you have near vision in your non operated eye then your near vision with vivity in both eyes will not be any better than what you have now with both eyes open. binocular summation can only do so much. also how much near a person gets varies from person to person.

• Posted

Hi gayle, if you're still reading this thread... how is your quality of vision and contrast sensitivity in dim light/night time in Vivity eye?

• Edited

i am not GAYLE, but have vivity in one eye , will have surgery next week for second. I can only guess but dim light in my office or using my dark keyboard is harder. i definitely see better with good light. My experience is almost exactly the same as Gayles. After alot of research and worry, I am going to do the same vividy toric lens in my dominant eye. I know I will need readers for close up.. and a big mirror for make up, but at this point it seems like the best option . Yes the lens was expensive , I hope my intermediate vision was worth the investment. My distance at this time us 20/25.

• Posted

i had vivity placed in my dominant, right eye one week ago and am pleased with my mid range and distance vision. Got a new progressive contact for my left eye after a few days, and both eyes are functioning together much better than they were with clear glass over the right eye and the old progressive left lens in glasses. Brain is funny. i believe surgeon will want to follow the original plan of toric vivity slightly undercorrected in my left eye in one month. Will know more at follow up on Monday. So, my experience is much like both Gale and Linda. surgeon said to expect to need readers for close up and i will be fine with that. Thrilled by the improvement overall.

• Posted

In my recent experience, mini monovision with Vivity IOLs works for functional near vision. My non-dominant eye is undercorrected by -0.6D. My dominant eye is also undercorrected but closer to plano. Although it's too early to make a final evaluation of the results, my binocular distance vision is 20/20, intermediate vision is 20/25, and near vision is 20/30. I can read a book comfortably if the light is good, but prefer to use readers in dim light or if the print is tiny. Reading a backlit smart phone display is not difficult when held 16" to 18" away depending on the size of the text. Visual disturbances are minor, and I assume that residual astigmatism is mainly responsible. There is, unfortunately, a loss of acuity in low light situations, but it's something I can live with. It doesn't prevent my driving at night. Night driving is much easier now than before my surgery. I love how clearly defined all but the brightest lights are. Street signs and license plates are easy to read if illuminated. My only issue at the moment is the presence of floaters in my distance eye that sometimes get in the way.

• Posted

That sounds like a very good outcome with the Vivity lenses.

• Posted

Based on comments from my optometrist, outcomes with the Vivity IOL are mostly good. The one negative for me was the appearance of floaters for the first time in the right eye after surgery. The creation of floaters is not uncommon after cataract surgery, I was told. My doctor photographed and examined my retina today. I have what she called vitreous detachment which also commonly occurs as we age. A piece of gel is still partially attached residing in front of the optic nerve which is causing me some visual annoyance. The retina looks okay, though.

• Posted

I also developed PVD about 10 months after surgery. It appeared suddenly and I have been told it is independent from the cataract surgery and also it is a result of age. It is quite aggravating as I had the best vision of my life out of this eye up until the PVD.

• Posted

i had the vivity put in just yesterday bcuz of a torn retina last aug 2020. and of course being a glasses wearer since fifth grade I would love to see far away and close up. My doctor said I would have to choose on the monofocal lenses if I wanted to see far away or close up and I didn’t want to mess with anything so I went with the Vivity so I could see far away and close up. And I know I’m only one day out but if I paid $3000 for this lens and I can only see far away and not from my face to 20 feet in front of me, I don’t see the point of getting this lens in my other eye that has a cataract developing and qualifies for this Vivity lens. But I know once it’s in there I’m stuck with it so I don’t want to do something I won’t be happy with. I hope someone can give me some feedback as to what they have in their eyes.

• Posted

You should be able to see down to about 2 feet or less with the Vivity. In fact some will see that close with a standard monofocal lens.

• Posted

I think I could live with 2' with the standard monofocal lens!

• Edited

I get about 20" with my standard monofocal IOL (AcrySof IQ Aspheric), but I seem to be a bit of an exception here. Others seem to start to have trouble at 3 feet or so. The Vivity gives you some insurance of being able to see closer, especially if you under correct it some.

• Posted

Ron - so helpful. There is so much information, but very few charts. I feel like I have researched for dozens of hours and no decision as yet. The charts and location info is much appreciated.

• Posted

I am going in for my second implant next month. My first is Vivity almost a month ago and I have what they called 20/20 distance and close and can read close and see far BUT night driving is still a problem because of light halos and also every letter although identifiable has a little border or shadow around it. Even when covering the bad eye, words or lights are slightly two versions of everything, a main and a shadow, not quite aligned. I thought this would go away by now. I may go for the free monofocal for the remaining eye because although the Vivity has great general clarity and color the lights they're huge circles with halos and letters are legible but not defined. I feel let down by the Vivity or maybe I needed a prescription but they could not assess that because my lens was too cloudy for an acuity test before the surgery and I had always had 25/20. i know Ron here said two has more success than one but i don't want to pay another $3k when I'm getting bad halos around letters and lights. Does anyone know how it is with one monofocal and one Vivity?

• Edited

I got cold feet on trying the one monofocal lens with a Vivity in the other eye. I was close to doing it though. But, my situation was a little different. When I made the decision I was the reverse of you. I had a monofocal in my distance eye with 20/20+ vision, and was considering the Vivity for the second eye. The question that I had and the surgeon raised was the issue of optical side effects in the Vivity eye. He did not encourage me to get it. I think if I was in your situation with one Vivity already that is giving optical side effects, then the choice would be easy. I would certainly do a distance monofocal in the second eye. It would have very good odds of improving your distance and night vision.

• Posted

with my Vivity I can read my phone 11" but if I hold my phone away from my face an arm's length it's much better. No glasses needed any distance but there's glare, halos, and fuzzy borders around everything.

• Posted

See my response in the other thread.

• Posted

I had PVD happen too but it was before my cataract surgery. Yeah, floaters. they say they should calm down a lot after 6 months. I hope they're right. The flyer the optometrist gave me says risk factors are being near sighted, cataract surgery, and inflammation inside the eye. Of course it probably won't happen to young people. The flyer is by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. www.aao.org

• Posted

hi Ron ive got alcon mono in dominant eye. thinking of vivity at -.75 to give reading

• Posted

That should work, but you may come up a little short with a target of -0.75 D. The Vivity lens adds about -0.5 D, so you would have a total of about -1.25 D. Might work or might be a little short. With the Vivity a target of -1.0 D is safer if you want good reading.

• Edited

I am 8 days into my first Vivity in my dominant eye. I have exactly the same results on the fuzzy letters with a shadow outline larger than the actual letter, and halos. The biggest problem is my eye only focuses from about 3 feet to 8 feet. The rest is blurry. Dr did many tests today and the eye structure itself is good. I did the other eye yesterday and it is thousand times better than the first lens. The first lens also changes the size of everything to a smaller size. I was hopeful that things would get better but now I believe that Vivity has some serious quality control issues.

• Posted

The second fuzzy image could be coming from the EDOF feature of the Vivity. Only having a good vision range from 3 to 8 feet is not normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.