Just prescribed Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

Totally new to this, never having being prescribed any long term medication before, so please be patient with me.

I've been suffering anxiety/stress for the last 6 months or so, came to a head last week, world was crashing around me, im sure you have all probably been there in some form.

Anyway, went to my Doctors today and have been prescribed Citalopram 20mg,

I came home and googled it, and bingo found this forum, after reading all the side effects im loathed to commit to going down this road!!

Any advice or just general feedback, would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Kenny

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi i worried about on 20 mg myself this forum has helped im on only day 12 but been told its only early days though its tough i keep going with it but the help from prople on here make you see that you arent alone

• Posted

Thanks Lynne,

I'm just a bit concerned that the period of time before the meds kick in, is going to be actually worse than im feeling now. i'm a kinda of up and down and all over the place just now. of course my Doctor just said i will give you something to lift your spirits! no explanation of exactly what.

i thought it was a simple fix, not 2-4 weeks of increased anxiety and the rest!

thanks

Kenny

• Edited

Hi Kenny I'm 6 months in now and feel good again I'm glad I persevered with meds. The only side effects i had was heightened anxiety and difficulty sleeping for the first 3 weeks. The sides effects will ease off after a while and you will start feeling better again. Not all people get side effects though it's just how your body reacts. Good luck.

• Posted

hi kenny know that reply for me but im having exactly the same problem heightened anxiety and not sleeping well im not quite 2 weeks so this gives me some hope .

• Posted

Thanks Paul,

Im just not sure if this will help me, already suffering from a bit of sleep deprivation.

Reading all the threads, well not all of them fully, I have my doubts about my Doctor, she said come back in 2 weeks and we can assess and adjust the dose, but from what im reading its more like 3-4 weeks minimum.

does this sound about right to everyone?

Thanks again, your comments are greatly appreciated,

Kenny

• Posted

hi kenny. im 10 weeks in and feeling much much better. if you have anxiety begore starting meds, it will increase it initially. after the girst week to 10 days, you will start to notice a difference. you may experience sleeplessness, decreased appetite, mild tremors, sweaty palms, and generally feeling tired. I fought anxiety for years before giving in to meds. Im glad i started Cit as it has helped me get my life back. im not recovered yet, but feel well on my way.

As far as fosage increases, if you have only anxiety, 10mg may suit you better. i started at 20mg and since changing docs, was advised yhat the lower dosages were more for anxiety. im now tapering to 10. i wouldnt advise you to change dosages quickly. this medicine is not meant to work quickly. if you start at 10mg, id stivk it out for couple months or so before changing dosages. dosage changes will cause side effects all over again.

trust in the mdficine and believe that you will recover. the gloom and doom will soon pass. the anxious mornings are usually the last to go so be patient

• Posted

Hi again Kenny sorry I should of mentioned that my sleeping was terrible before I started taking the meds but after a while I started sleeping better again . All the best and I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hi Kenny

I struggled for 16 years with anxiety / depression before being put onto SSRI’s and within 6 months I recovered. Changed my life.

Sometimes we can’t fix this and need some help, just as you’d need help with acid reflux, pain, infection etc etc., and people often dig themselves deeper into anxiety as it becomes confusing.

If you’re worried about the side effects then speak to your doctor about starting on a very small dose and building up - slowly over many months, instead of going straight in at 20mg.

Anxiety is often born from stress (amongst other things) and stress is your body’s alarm system telling you you’ve overdone things and it needs a rest. Anxiety starts and then you get anxious about being anxious and get stuck in a cycle.

Yes there are side effects and anxiety often gets worse before it gets better, but taking a small dose and weaning yourself on will take the sting out of it all for sure.

Don't expect quick results - these meds take a hell of a time, often months. Everyone's different and we all follow our own timescale.

But you'll get lots of support on here - everyone's either gone through this or still going through it too.

All I can say is don’t struggle alone. The meds will really help you.

• Posted

Hi Kate,

Thanks, you kind of nailed me, i have got to the point of being anxious about being anxious, its a real vicious circle!!

I take onboard your suggestions about starting on a low dose and building rather than jumping straight in at the 20mg, makes complete sense.

thanks for your advice.

I have to say you have all been great, thanks!

Kenny

• Posted

Yes thats generally what happens with the anxiety condition - anxiety is scary which then produces more anxiety, and another side effect is weird thoughts which we also become scared / anxious about leading to a horrible viscious cycle.

The meds will eventually help to calm you down, lowers anxiety, thoughts get put back into perspective and yur mind regains clarity again.

Oh - one thing - during recovery you'll get blips where you seem to take a few steps backwards which feels like you're back at the beginning. This happens many times, so don't be alarmed when you feel well followed by being anxious again. Its perfectly normal and seems a normal route we all take on these meds. Many people who don't about this think they're ill again - no, its just normal.

Good luck with the meds and keep in touch to let us all know how you're doing.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kenny,

I've been on Citalopram 40 mg since mid October for anxiety and depression. This is my second time on the med and it does take awhile to full start working. And unfortunately, the symptoms get worse before things level off. My doctor told me to give it 4-8 weeks for the meds to take really effect and for the side effects to go away but it took a little longer than that. I did start feeling better within like 6 weeks but not fully myself until like the week after Christmas. So my advice for you is to just hang in there.. I know it's easier said than done but try your best! I was anti medication for the longest time because of the side effects but like you, things started getting out of hand and thats when I decided to give it a try. Take care and let us know how things go for you.

• Posted

Thanks John,

Really appreciate you all taking the time to give me your experiences,

I've got to the ripe old age of 52 without taking anything other than the occasional asprin/paracetemol, so just need to be 100% sure this is right for me.

Thanks again all,

Kenny

• Posted

Hi Dubry,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Cit, its great to hear it is working for you.

I'm just wanting to get as much advice as possible before starting the course.

thanks again

Kenny

• Posted

it took me many months 8months .but well worth it in the end.i take 10milligrams and iam recover.

• Posted

it took me many months 8months .but well worth it in the end.i take 10milligrams and iam recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.