Just released from hospital due to PE. Still anxious I have a clot.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Like the title says, I went into the hospital on Friday last week due to shortness of breath and sweating, found put I had two clots in my lungs. They went in with a catheter and used thrombolitics to break them up, and after the procedure I was feeling good and breathing better.

Now fast forward to today, I'm getting twinges of what feel like muscle aches in my left arm and in the left lower part of my ribcage, and a feeling of muscle tightness or fullness in my left leg. My anxiety is through the roof again now because I don't think they got the clot, and now I think its travelling through my body. I don't want to go back to the hospital again. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is very normal. You'll have pain and anxiety for months. You're not alone, we all went through it. I assume you're on blood thinners? If you are, the chance of you getting another clot while on them is extremely low. You have been through a major trauma. Your body and mind need time to heal, and a lot of it.

• Posted

I am on blood thinners, but the thing of it is, I had no pain at all through all this. That's why I'm anxious because I didnt have pain.

• Posted

I had a lot of pain, but many people don't. Many don't have hardly any symptoms at all. Trust the medication. Did they give you anything for anxiety? They gave me Clonazepam for a few months after my PE. That helped quite a bit.

• Posted

I didn't have any pain when I had my pes. just a needle prick poke. But when I was put on eliquis aka apixban I was always in pain.

• Posted

I'm on Eliquis too. No pain after a few days.

• Posted

I was in pain most of the 6 months I was on it.

• Posted

Is it abnormal to not have any pain from this? What are the chances it happens again?

• Posted

what are the chances that I could get another blood clot after only a week out of the hospital? I'm up and about at work and moving around more at home and trying to eat healthier.

• Posted

I assume you're on blood thinners? Extremely low if you are on blood thinners. So low it's not worth worrying about.

• Posted

I'm on Eliquis, but I keep getting discomfort below my sternum that comes and goes.

• Posted

If you just had a PE, plan on having sternum pain for some months to come.

• Posted

If you're on thinners its slim unless the thinners are not working. The pain may be from the eliquis. I was I pain the whole time I can remember being on eliquis.

• Posted

Eliquis and Xarelto gave me chest pain. Savaysa was better. Coumadin works the best for me.

• Posted

That makes me feel a bit better, now. I've been feeling colder now so I can assume the thinners are working.

• Posted

how would I know if the thinners weren't working?

• Posted

eliquis was killer on my chest but I just kept with it because at the time I didn't know what to do.

• Posted

You probably would have had another clot by now. I'm not sure by you're name if you're a guy or girl but women when on thinners know the thinners are working.

• Posted

Same with me. Terrible chest pain. Went away as soon as I stopped it.

• Posted

I'm a guy, 27 years old.

• Posted

lol sorry. it's rare that they wouldn't work but it's been known too. You would have known by now. if they where not. If you cut yourself and it continues to bleed it's working. if you brush you're teeth and they bleed or bleed more than they have before then the thinners are working.

• Posted

Guess I just need to pray that it is working, i have no intentions of cutting myself open to find out.

• Posted

I would not recommend that. lol. I suspect they are working. You'll have the anxiety for a while. I came of thinners may of 2017 and I had major anxiety about for a year after. sometimes I still do but not so much anymore.

• Posted

how would the blood thinners not work? what would cause that to happen?

• Posted

Blood thinners not working is extremely rare. Maybe if you have a specific , aggresive clotting disorder, but they would test you for that. You can trust they are working.

• Posted

All the genetic tests they did on me came out negative, but im not the most active person and work has been causing me stress. could that cause my blood thinners to not work?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.