Just started 10 mg of Prozac

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi-long story short, got off of lexapro about a week ago and Started Cymbalta about 16 days ago (cross tapered) Started at 20 mg for a week and 30 mg for a week. I was feeling really jittery so my doc lowered it to 20 mg and added 10 mg of prozac. I don’t do well with high doses, so she thought that this could help reach higher dose level without side effects. Has anyone heard of this? It’s only been two days w combo but I’ve been feeling very anxious and still jittery. Could it be the start up effect? When should I feel the 20 mg. Thanks!

0 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was on Prozac 20 for 8 weeks and had to get off they din’t help me and went on Lexapro. Prozac is the most activating of the ssri’s. If you get even more anxious after a week listen to your body. It might be perfectly great for you. We are all so different. Is your doctor a psychiatrist or a go.
    • Posted

She is a psych. I’m slightly worried it’s gonna be too activating. I was on it before in a much higher dose and I was really jittery but that was at 60 mg. It did help though. I thought 10 mg wouldn’t affect me in that way but maybe it is?? Ahhhh. So frustrating. I’m gonna give it a few more days then see. I’m also not sleeping well bc I tried to stop trazodone and it’s not going well. How much pro were you on? Did you feel any better? 
    • Posted

I was on 20 for 8 weeks did not help on Lexapro 3 weeks today. Had 3 days this week where I felt better. Seems like every other day. I hope this is a sign it’s kicking in? If it worked for you once how long did it take?
    • Posted

i think it was about a month, but my dose was way high. like way too much for me. yeah--i bet it's starting to kick in! 

• Posted

no, my dose of prozac. i was on 60 mg. i only was on 10 -12.5 mg of lexapro. 
    • Posted

Eh. Not great, I’m stopping the Prozac. It made me feel really weird and jittery. So here we are again, back on 20 mg of Cymbalta. How about you?
    • Posted

Did you get gas burping and constipation/ in the beginning of Lexapro. I also don’t have much of an appetite. Is this common. Anxiety not as bad today.  3 weeks yesterday half way there. I think it smart to stick with the cymbalta solo. How long have you been on it. Are the side effects tolerable>

• Posted

I don’t think so? I cross tapered from Prozac to lexapro and didn’t really have any issues, I also got pregnant 🤰 a month in on lexapro (whoops) so all my hormones were crazy. That’s good-anxiety is improving!! Tell me about the other med you take, not klonopin.

I decided to jump back up to 30 mg and see. Last week I thought I was feeling slightly better on it before adding in prozac. My main side effect is feeling super jittery. I do t know if it’s anxiety or the meds...

• Posted

How much sleep do you get a night. I have been taking Trazadone 75mgs but the past few nights I have been waking up and have difficulty falling back to sleep. 
    • Posted

I’m only taking 25 mg but also fake .5 mg of Ativan. I’m looking to wean off of it if I can bc i think it causes dizzy issues for me. It’s so hit or miss. I’ve been on higher doses and it does nothing. I’m sorry! Do you take lexapro in the morning? 
    • Posted

Took it. Seems like the anxiety is better eveyother day. This past week today it’s been awful. Do you still have anxiety
    • Posted

Yes! I totally do. I also have side effects (or is it anxiety?!) that bother me. Wait so what’s the other stuff you take other than klonopin? 
    • Posted

I take hydroxizine which  is non-addictive it’s in the benedryl family. Sometimes it gets so bad I want to scream.  Evert other day is better. I hope this means I am moving in the right direction 
    • Posted

Does it help w sleep? Curious. 

Totally means it’s getting better! Hopefully each day it will get better. Do you think you need a higher dose? I’m hoping going back up to 30 mg will help more for me. 

• Posted

What dose of Lexapro were you on it can take 6 to 8 weeks for most people to work unless you are an early responder. Yes it works like nytol I guess. How much sleep do you get a night

• Posted

I thought snri’s worked faster? I was in 10 mg and 12.5 mg. It depends, usually 7 or so. How about you? 
    • Posted

Me too. How long did it Lexapro to work for you. A lot of my anxiety is fear it won’t work. I have been on 10mgs for 24 days
    • Posted

Yah me too! It takes weeks sometimes. It took a while, when I started out on SSRI, I took Zoloft and it took like 8-9 weeks. Hopefully it will happen sooner for you!! I’m hoping Cymbalta doesn’t take that long!!
    • Posted

Do you still have side effects I have stomach issues that come and go. I am on day 25 they could still go away right?
    • Posted

Yah, I think so? I’m no expert! I think it can take up to two months for stuff to fade. I’m not doing well, anxiety is through the roof. I don’t think Cymbalta is working for me at all.
    • Posted

You have only been on it for 20 days I think it needs more time. I am only 6 days ahead of you. I still have anxiety and need to take something every morning
    • Posted

Why did you stop Zoloft.
    • Posted

yeah-but i think snri's are supposed to work faster...so i was hopeful i would be feeling better by now. zoloft didn't work as well for me the second time around. didn't quite take care of everything. have you just tried prozac and now lex? 

• Posted

Yes tried Prozac for 8 weeks with no change. I see slight change on lexapro, but anxiety still bad.  I guess I’m 5 days ahead of you. 
    • Posted

My doc said yesterday it can take 6-8 weeks to start to feel anything. Ugh. But we are still in the early stages. 
    • Posted

You said it took that long for the Zoloft to start working. I went up to our camp with my husband in Northern Vermont. My step-son and 2 grandchildren are coming too. Day 27 for me and a long way to go to get to 6 to 8 weeks. How’s your anxiety?
    • Posted

Are you sleeping better or having any weird dreams. Ate three meals yesterday.
    • Posted

i hear ya! sounds nice. 6-8 weeks does seem really far away. iam feeling slightly better today, maybe? haha, it's so hard to tell. i slept last night but took the traz and ativan. i have been very dizzy today--i really think i need to get off the traz but scared not to sleep. i def have weird dreams--do you? how is your sleep? 

• Posted

Do you still have anxiety some days are better than others
    • Posted

Yes!! I feel like I’m really not better better. Feel ok for a bit then crap and so on. How about you? I’m pretty frustrated. 
    • Posted

Hey. Not great, not terrible. I have realized that the cym is slightly helping w my mood but doing nothing for my anxiety. It’s been like 25 days. Super frustrating. How about you?? Feeling better? Wondering if I should change meds? 
    • Posted

My anxiety is still high most of the time. Going to give it a few more weeks
    • Posted

yeah, same. ugh. i thought my dizzy was getting better but i am back dizzy today. frustrating. 
    • Posted

The Lexapro is making my anxiety 100 times worse I am going to switch to an snri  a generic of Effexsor. 

Went to see my doctor today. On the way home I hit a deer on the highway I am a wreck right now. Will cross taper with effexsor tomorrow. Did Lexapro make you extremely anxious the first month

• Posted

Oh no!! That’s so scary! I’m sorry. Hope you are okay. 

Why Effexor? Cymbaltas cousin! What’s the taper like? No, I didn’t have any issues. So, my doc added abilify today, only 2 mg. Nervous of course. 

• Posted

Down to 7.5 on Lexapro  & 37.5. On Effexsor for 4 days. Then effexsor 75mgs  and 5mgs on day 5 and 6. Then off Lexapro. I can’t take the anxiety from lexapro.

• Posted

They tried it in October and it helped at a low dose but they moved it up way too high and my blood pressure rose. Trying it staying at a lower dose.
    • Posted

what did you try? effexor or abilify? 

sounds like a good taper plan! hopefully this will help. yah--i didnt sleep much last night. i dont know why, i took the abilify but i think i freaked myself out about it. i thought it was sedating. SIGH. 

• Posted

What is ability? Day 2 on Effexsor having stomach pain and tired. More side effects than Lexapro, but less anxiety today. Had a hard time falling asleep another side effect. Have the side effects from cymbalta past for you now?
    • Posted

Kinda? I’m still jittery. That is my main issue. Abilify is add on to SSRI or snri. At higher doses it can be used for other issues like bipolar but at low dose it can help boost med. I don’t know? I’m nervous about it, not feeling it yet. Maybe. Tiny bit. My sleep been up and down too. How’s it going today? Happy 4th! 
    • Posted

Had lots of company and had to take a Klonopin. Everyone leaves tomorrow. Go up to 75 on Effexsor tomorrow. Do you take your Meds in am or pm
    • Posted

i am curious the diff between effexor and cymbalta, i know they are similar meds. do you know? how are you feeling? i am feelikg maybe a little better but super jittery. hoping it fades away here soon. i take cymbalta in the morning and abil @ night. what about you? 
    • Posted

I think they are pretty much the same. What day are you on? I am still weaning off Lexapro get on the therapeutic dose of Effexsor tomorrow. Still anxious gets better early evening.
    • Posted

if I take a .5 Klonopin the anxiety goes away completely but don’t want to get addicted.
    • Posted

ummm, it's been about a month, don't know the exact day. i have been of lex for about 2.5 weeks and on 20 mg of cymbalta for a bit. i heard effexor really works well for anxiety,. i kinda with i was on it. klonopin works really well--i used to use it for sleep and it was great. i am taking low dose of ativan as needed and .5 mg at night for sleep. how is today? 

• Posted

We had a family gathering  go a week which has made anxiety worse go up to therapeutic dose of 75 on Effexor tonight. Does your anxiety still get bad
    • Posted

do you find effexor helping? i am wondering why my doc didn't put me on that, it seems better for anxiety, so i have read. 

yes--still get anxiety. blah. 

• Posted

I move up to 75mg of venlafaxine tonight and down to 5 Lexapro. I am sleeping much better on 25 Trazadone, but still lots of anxiety.
    • Posted

oh, so you lowered the traz? glad it's helping! that's what i was taking but stopped. i am def having some sleep issues on abilify. trying to power through but it's hard getting by on little sleep. does the effexor make you feel jittery? 

• Posted

No anxiety but also sleepy. Rainy and gray here today. Hard to get moving
    • Posted

No I miss spoke lots of anxiety I have to take a low dose of Valium. Has the cymbalta helped. How long have you been on it?
    • Posted

i have been feeling a little sad this am don’t know which is worse.
    • Posted

ugh. it's prob all the med changes, the ups and downs of getting of lex and starting something new. i think it's helped a bit, but not much yet to be honest. i am also on a super low dose. that's why my doc added the abilify, but i dont know--not really feeling better on it yet. 

• Posted

yeah--i have to--i work full-time and have kids. that's why i freak when i don't sleep! what about you? 

• Posted

I am retired and my kids are grown. I lost one 26 year old daughter in a freak car accident. It will be 5 years in August. I have been floundering ever since.
    • Posted

Oh my gosh,  I’m so sorry.  I can imagine how terrible anxiety and depression would become. Ugh. I’m hoping this helps for both of us!! I’m not feeling well at all today. Ready to quit abilify.
    • Posted

If I need to. Past few days, I haven’t had any...not sure if that’s good sign that meds r working. Still so jittery. How ru feeling today?
    • Posted

Sounds like it. It’s so up and done for me. Sleeping better. Took the 75mg of Effexsor tonight. Going to continue on Lexapro for a couple of weeks on 5mg.
    • Posted

I don’t know though? My doc said abilify should help in a week-it’s been five days and still eh. Jittery. Is Effexor sedating? I’m curious about it bc it sounds like it might help more w anxiety. I don’t really have depression.i slept last night but so tired, I think that’s just life w kids though. How ru doing?
    • Posted

Only on it for 5 days 1 day at therapeutic dose. It sounds like you are falling asleep better now. When do you see your doctor again? My anxiety seems to get better around 6 or 7

• Posted

It seems like every other night I sleep okay. I don’t knjw. I’m frustrated. I’m seeing her on Wednesday. I’m not seeing a ton of improvement, heavy head today. Why did your doc choose Effexor? 
    • Posted

I asked her to try it. She was okay with it. I am going to also stay on Lexapro 5mg I am on 5 weeks now and it seems smart to give it a while longer to 8 weeks.
    • Posted

Yah-that seems like a good plan.  I heard it’s good! Really works. 
    • Posted

Has not happened to me. Maybe because I take a low dose of Trazadone before bed.
    • Posted

How are you doing? Today is my daughter who died birthday. My husband and I went to the cemetery and placed some flowers. How long have you been on cymbalta now ? I am on day 38 of Lexapro, started 37.5 dose of Effexsor 5 days ago, which is below a therapeutic dose.  Can it take 6 to 8 weeks for an antidepressant to kick in
    • Posted

I’m so sorry. So hard. Hope you are making it through today. 

I think it’s been about 35 days or so. How do you feel on the Effexor so far? 

• Posted

2nd day on therapeutic dose of Effexsor dropped down to 5 mgs on Lexapro.not a lot of side effects yet. Hope this works how are you doing?
    • Posted

how are you feeling today? me too--hope it works!!

feeling okay--i think the abilify is really helping but i am still dizzy!! freaking me out. just a really heavy/foggy head. i am seeing the doc tomorrow and want to mention all of this to her. my anxiety is def less than it was last week but still have anxiety. blah. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.