Just started 5 mg of Citalopram.....scared!

Posted , 33 users are following.

I have been prescribed Citalopram for general anxiety and mild depression by my doctor. The past few months I have had anxiety and depression that I just cannot shake, and I thought I could handle it without meds but alas here I am. Initially he gave me 50 mg of Sertraline, but I had to stop after 1 dose because of insane side affects; insomnia, scary thoughts, absolutely no appetite, shaky-ness and overall feeling drugged out. My husband was scared to death for me and we decided that I would not take another pill of that. My doctor agreed that I am extremely sensitive to SSRI's, and trying another option was what will be best for me.

I have decided to ease into the Citalopram, and have taken 5 mg about an hour and a half ago. I feel very calm, a little zoned out and sleepy. Is this normal? This morning I was a basketcase of nerves, pounding heart, etc. Could it be a placebo effect? I was so incredibly scared to take even this small amount so I don't really know how my body is going to react. Any comments are appreciated!! :-)

1 like, 114 replies

114 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey, I just started 5mg of Citalopram on Saturday and 3 hours later came over all woozy, felt bit sick yesterday, and very washed out today :-( hoping these symptoms will go,away? Back to doctors for check up Friday, was tempted to stop taking them but thought I best keep going.
    • Posted

Don't stop taking them!! Trust me, I have wanted to stop taking them as well, but we need to stick with it at least for a month or 2 to get it working. I'm right there with you!!
    • Posted

Hi there. I was just given Celexa 5mg. How long did you feel the woozy feeling? Im already dizzy and scared the meds will make things worse for mesad HELP

• Posted

Thank you :-) I just do not want to turn into a zombie. I guess symptoms Will die down, it's nice to actually sleep as I was not sleeping and having nightmares but I would like to have a bit of energy in the day x
  • Posted

Feel so sick, no appetite, called doctor but he said continue:-( how you doing?
    • Posted

I'm sorry your feeling sick :-( What are you taking Cit for? I take mine for anxiety and the meds definitely made me have no appetite and feel woozy for the first 4 days. I have finally now started eating small meals again, which is a great relief. Hang in there 
  • Posted

Grief as my dad passed away and not coping :-( love my food normally but now cannot eat, glad your feeling bit better :-)
    • Posted

I'm so sorry for your loss.I think that is totally normal that you have no appetite, and I know that it will come with time. <3 please just stick with it and talk to me and everyone else on here! i will support you as much as i can :-) please="" just="" stick="" with="" it="" and="" talk="" to="" me="" and="" everyone="" else="" on="" here!="" i="" will="" support="" you="" as="" much="" as="" i="" can="">
    • Posted

Sorry about your loss. I lost my appetite and only just starting to eat properrly after 3 weeks. I could only eats a banana or a piece of toast for first few days, try to eat protein when you can i started with a boiled egg or piece of cheese. Bear with it, it will get easier. 
    • Posted

Thank you, it's awfull at the moment, nice to hear things get better, hope you continue to improve :-)

• Posted

Thank you, it's hard to accept. I have always been so cheerful before this, now I am sooooo grumpy:-(
    • Posted

It will get better, beleive that. I am starting to feel better now.
    • Posted

:-) good news glad you feeling better. Got doctor check up Friday so will see what he says. 
  • Posted

So it's been 5 days since I have upped to 20 mg of Cit. I still have terrible morning anxiety, and I really hope that it will pass soon :-( I don't even know why I get anxious! I'm thinking it's because I have always felt it and I don't know what it's like to wake up and feel refreshed and ready to start the day. I always have my hubby call me on his way to work so I calm down a little bit, and that helps for the most part. I usually start to feel better closer to lunch time and then I'm good all evening. So weird! Does/Did anyone else suffer from morning anxiety, and did it eventually lessen or go away for you? 
    • Posted

Yes!! I was originally prescribed 12.5 mg of Paxil but the anxiety and trembling was overwhelming so I stopped it. I am now on 5 mg of Cit which I take at night, but the mornings are the hardest. I wake up trembling with anxiety although it's getting better, i find by lunch time I'm feeling much better. I'm also on .25 mg of Xanax three times a day which I will eventually wean off once the Cit is fully working. My anxiety was so bad I would lay in bed and tremble so hard it would shake the whole bed. My husband has also been my rock and he calls me in the morning to check on me which really helps me feel better as well.
    • Posted

By the way, I forgot to mention I'm only on day four of the 5 mg of cit. we're going to do that for two weeks then move up to 10 mg. I bet if we had halved my Paxil dose I wouldn't of had such a bad reaction and maybe could've stayed on that drug . However, Paxil cost me $75 a month where as Cit it's me $.11 a month!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.